Can patterns on players be mapped to/triggered by MIDI note?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
DJMaytag

22 Apr 2021

Is it possible to use a MIDI keyboard to change patterns on a player device, or otherwise use CV or another device to change sequences?

buddard
RE Developer

22 Apr 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
22 Apr 2021
Is it possible to use a MIDI keyboard to change patterns on a player device, or otherwise use CV or another device to change sequences?
You can use CV if you have the player inside a combinator: Connect the CV signal to an input on the combinator, and then map that input to the Pattern Select property on the player.

DJMaytag

22 Apr 2021

buddard wrote:
22 Apr 2021
DJMaytag wrote:
22 Apr 2021
You can use CV if you have the player inside a combinator: Connect the CV signal to an input on the combinator, and then map that input to the Pattern Select property on the player.
Got it, using one instance of your Sequences player and a CV Player Tap to route the note out into the Combinator CV input to control another instance of Sequences.

Would Sequences ever be able to have a dedicated CV in for doing this, instead of using a Combinator? I mean, I do Combine just about everything I work on, so I don't have a problem with using Combinators, but I'm thinking about complex Combinators where I'm using a lot of the CV inputs.

Driving one sequencer with another is something I'm doing in Eurorack, and I want to try it in Reason. So far it's going a long way to prevent boring repetitive loops.

buddard
RE Developer

22 Apr 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
22 Apr 2021
Would Sequences ever be able to have a dedicated CV in for doing this, instead of using a Combinator? I mean, I do Combine just about everything I work on, so I don't have a problem with using Combinators, but I'm thinking about complex Combinators where I'm using a lot of the CV inputs.
In theory, yes, but it would get rather messy from a UX standpoint.
Because the CV input wouldn't be able to affect the Pattern Select property directly, there would have to be two parallel pattern switching mechanisms in the device.
The CV input would either have to compete with Pattern Select (i e the device obeys the latest change from either the property or the CV input), or the user would have to switch between the mechanism somehow, either using another property or by detecting the CV connection.
Each method would have its own set of advantages and drawbacks.

The combinator method is a bit more elegant in this regard, as the combinator has the ability to route a CV signal to any automatable property in the devices it contains. So there's no need for the dual mechanisms.

bitley

22 Apr 2021

Why not try exporting to audio, importing to the NNXT and moving the start point to interesting places, create layers and use the ALT function, loop the audio, reverse or manipulate with filtering, panning, LFOs synced to tempo etc! :)

• Information