Alogoritm vibrato on modwheel

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
plaingraywall

12 Apr 2021

One of my favorite features of FM synths is how good vibrato always sounds on the modwheel. The DX7 factory patches included with PX7 are a great example of this.

Unfortunately, none of the patches I'm trying out in Algoritm use the modwheel in this way. I'm not a particularly advanced synth user and usually just rely on presets. I'm struggling to work out how to replicate the vibrato sound in Algoritm on the modwheel :(

Can someone help me with the steps needed to make Algoritm patches do the classic FM vibrato when moving the modwheel up? Is it possible to easily modify existing patches to do this?

guitfnky

12 Apr 2021

I’m not a huge synth guru either, but I think this is done using the matrix at the bottom. if I recall, you’d need to make a couple of entries there...one using the mod wheel as the source and an LFO depth as destination (should allow your mod wheel to scale the depth of the LFO), and another with the LFO as source and pitch (fine pitch, probably?) as the destination.

the amount would be pretty low for the mod wheel entry (you don’t need it to go super deep for vibrato), and probably more moderate for the LFO to the pitch.

this is all off the top of my head, so don’t hold me to that. 😆
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

plaingraywall

12 Apr 2021

guitfnky wrote:
12 Apr 2021
I’m not a huge synth guru either, but I think this is done using the matrix at the bottom. if I recall, you’d need to make a couple of entries there...one using the mod wheel as the source and an LFO depth as destination (should allow your mod wheel to scale the depth of the LFO), and another with the LFO as source and pitch (fine pitch, probably?) as the destination.

the amount would be pretty low for the mod wheel entry (you don’t need it to go super deep for vibrato), and probably more moderate for the LFO to the pitch.

Thanks so much, I'll have a try and let you know how I get on!

plaingraywall

14 Apr 2021

guitfnky wrote:
12 Apr 2021

I had a play and found that the way to do it is have LFO and pitch in the left side and then in the scale section adjacent over on the right put the modwheel with a 100 scale. This then scales the LFO/pitch with the modwheel. Perfect!

Thanks for your help...

deeplink
Competition Winner

14 Apr 2021

plaingraywall wrote:
14 Apr 2021
guitfnky wrote:
12 Apr 2021

I had a play and found that the way to do it is have LFO and pitch in the left side and then in the scale section adjacent over on the right put the modwheel with a 100 scale. This then scales the LFO/pitch with the modwheel. Perfect!

Thanks for your help...

Sure, thats how you set it up in the Matrix of the Algoritm. Similar to Thor, Europa and Grain etc.

However, as soon as you change the patch, the Matrix programmar changes along with it. Therefore you will need to program it this way each time you change the patch.

To avoid this, put the Algoitm in Combinator.
Drag in a Thor (unrouted).
In Thor's programmer, set LFO to CV 1 and Scaled to Modwheel.
Behind the rack, send Thor's CV 1 out to the Algoritm Pitch Wheel input.

Now when you change the patch on the Combinator, the Modwheel to LFO/Pitch control is retained.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

plaingraywall

14 Apr 2021

deeplink wrote:
14 Apr 2021
plaingraywall wrote:
14 Apr 2021

Thanks for your help...

Sure, thats how you set it up in the Matrix of the Algoritm. Similar to Thor, Europa and Grain etc.

However, as soon as you change the patch, the Matrix programmar changes along with it. Therefore you will need to program it this way each time you change the patch.

To avoid this, put the Algoitm in Combinator.
Drag in a Thor (unrouted).
In Thor's programmer, set LFO to CV 1 and Scaled to Modwheel.
Behind the rack, send Thor's CV 1 out to the Algoritm Pitch Wheel input.

Now when you change the patch on the Combinator, the Modwheel to LFO/Pitch control is retained.
That's amazing! I will give this a go...

Loque

14 Apr 2021

I like to use a typical FM vibrato quite often instead of the classic vibrator via a LFO. This can be done by FM'ing a signal with detuned signal. As an example create a Sin at Ratio=1, modulate it with a new Sin Ratio=0.5 and Detune it. Via Modulation Amount (Volume) you can change the depth and with the Detune amount the speed.
Reason12, Win10

• Information