Drum Sequencer Bug

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
RoryM0

Post 05 Apr 2021

I'm working on something at the moment and have encountered a bug when automating pattern changes for Drum Sequencer that I believe is already known by the community.

If the pattern switches on a certain step or bar (not really sure it seems inconsistent) then the pattern change isn't clean and there seems to be a load of random hits thrown in, or perhaps it's playing part of a different pattern? But if I shift the automation item to another position on the grid then the change between patterns becomes clean.

I'm still on 10.4... has this bug been fixed in a more recent update does anyone know?

zoidkirb

Post 05 Apr 2021

Sorry i can't answer the question but I'm on 10.4 and suffer the same bug too. Deleting and re-drawing the automation in the same spot usually works for me, and it seems to help that I don't draw the automation clips more than 2 bars long.

buddard
RE Developer

Post 05 Apr 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
05 Apr 2021
I'm working on something at the moment and have encountered a bug when automating pattern changes for Drum Sequencer that I believe is already known by the community.

If the pattern switches on a certain step or bar (not really sure it seems inconsistent) then the pattern change isn't clean and there seems to be a load of random hits thrown in, or perhaps it's playing part of a different pattern? But if I shift the automation item to another position on the grid then the change between patterns becomes clean.

I'm still on 10.4... has this bug been fixed in a more recent update does anyone know?
It's the pattern automation system for Rack Extensions that has been horribly broken since it was introduced in Reason 10, affecting all REs that use it.

When you record pattern changes in real time, the pattern offset (i e the playback start point for the pattern clip) will be set to the exact time you changed patterns, i e without quantizing.

So the only useful way to automate the pattern changes is to draw the pattern clips in the sequencer, recording the changes is practically out of the question.

RoryM0

Post 05 Apr 2021

buddard wrote:
05 Apr 2021
It's the pattern automation system for Rack Extensions that has been horribly broken since it was introduced in Reason 10, affecting all REs that use it.

When you record pattern changes in real time, the pattern offset (i e the playback start point for the pattern clip) will be set to the exact time you changed patterns, i e without quantizing.

So the only useful way to automate the pattern changes is to draw the pattern clips in the sequencer, recording the changes is practically out of the question.
Ah that's good to know, thanks - however in this case I wasn't actually recording automation changes but pasting them directly into the sequencer. Super annoying. Wish they would squash these bugs faster. Or at all.

• Information