Ekssperimental Sounds SPACEXPANDER - Spring Reverb

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TheGodOfRainbows

03 Jul 2023

Steedus wrote:
02 Jul 2023

Maybe you have the update but don't realise. The option to change IRs on the front is rather stealthy. Do you see a letter on the left side of the patch name display?

That's where you change it. Just click and drag. There's not an obvious dropdown menu or anything.

Also, check the rear. Do you have a Tube Trim knob (screw type) on the bottom section on the right of the Tubes?
Wow!!! I see it now. That really is stealthy. I was looking for a clearly defined button or knob. I also didn't even notice the tube trim knob on the back until now! BUT....you still cannot automate or assign the IR selector on the front to a knob! :puf_unhappy:

When I read your response Steedus, I was elated! Then I opened Reason, and now I'm back to square one. :x So, I guess it's just not meant to be. I must say, IMO, I'm not crazy about putting (what I would consider to be) important settings on the back of devices. I've noticed that Synapse does this sometimes (Legend, Obsession) and there are probably others, but I don't like it. I've always thought that the back should be primarily for cv and audio inputs and outputs, and this scenario is the perfect example of how it can be impractical.

Anyway, I appreciate your help. I'm going to go scream now.

Steedus
Competition Winner

03 Jul 2023

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
03 Jul 2023
Steedus wrote:
02 Jul 2023

Maybe you have the update but don't realise. The option to change IRs on the front is rather stealthy. Do you see a letter on the left side of the patch name display?

That's where you change it. Just click and drag. There's not an obvious dropdown menu or anything.

Also, check the rear. Do you have a Tube Trim knob (screw type) on the bottom section on the right of the Tubes?
Wow!!! I see it now. That really is stealthy. I was looking for a clearly defined button or knob. I also didn't even notice the tube trim knob on the back until now! BUT....you still cannot automate or assign the IR selector on the front to a knob! :puf_unhappy:

When I read your response Steedus, I was elated! Then I opened Reason, and now I'm back to square one. :x So, I guess it's just not meant to be. I must say, IMO, I'm not crazy about putting (what I would consider to be) important settings on the back of devices. I've noticed that Synapse does this sometimes (Legend, Obsession) and there are probably others, but I don't like it. I've always thought that the back should be primarily for cv and audio inputs and outputs, and this scenario is the perfect example of how it can be impractical.

Anyway, I appreciate your help. I'm going to go scream now.
While there's always going to be a use case for everyone that - to them at least - is more important, I actually think Ekss' design choices are half of what make his devices look so good. You definately get a general feeling that it's extrememly well thought out and in genral, usage is made simple and easy.

You can definately see in some cases there are RE's with hundreds of options/knobs/switches on the front panel, it just looks overwhelming and often, rather amatuerish - if it's not too pretentious to say.

But would I like say, the tempo sync button to on the front of the TapeEcho unit? :twisted: Sure, but I still respect his restraint - most of the time.

TheGodOfRainbows

04 Jul 2023

Steedus wrote:
03 Jul 2023

While there's always going to be a use case for everyone that - to them at least - is more important, I actually think Ekss' design choices are half of what make his devices look so good. You definately get a general feeling that it's extrememly well thought out and in genral, usage is made simple and easy.

You can definately see in some cases there are RE's with hundreds of options/knobs/switches on the front panel, it just looks overwhelming and often, rather amatuerish - if it's not too pretentious to say.

But would I like say, the tempo sync button to on the front of the TapeEcho unit? :twisted: Sure, but I still respect his restraint - most of the time.
Yeah, I do like things made to be elegant and minimalist when possible. But, at least in this particular instance, I just don't see how having one more knob for the IRs on the front would ruin the overall aesthetic of this device or make it too busy or complex.

Just my opinion, but in this case, I think form is prioritized over function when it just doesn't need to be. And I selfishly wish everybody here agreed with me so that Ekss might be more compelled to change it! :puf_bigsmile:

I've said my peace. I ofc still like Ekss and will always look forward to their stuff.

Auryn

15 Jul 2023

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
02 Jul 2023
Auryn wrote:
30 Jun 2023

SpaceXpander is one of my faves too, sometimes I'll dubplicate the output of Echoboy and send the duplicate to spacexpander for that extra spaciousness
Auryn, you DO love your echos and delays. I remember. And in fact, you are partially the reason I have gotten more into delays in general. When you do that remix of my track, it became clear to me that I should be having more fun using them. :D
It's still one of my favourite collabs! I regularly send it to people when they ask what kind of music I make. (I always do explain you wrote the melody and arrangement, btw)

Although I do not want to disparage the thousand hats track I made with Teflon Tomb, which was also a lot of fun
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

TheGodOfRainbows

21 Jul 2023

Auryn wrote:
15 Jul 2023
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
02 Jul 2023

Auryn, you DO love your echos and delays. I remember. And in fact, you are partially the reason I have gotten more into delays in general. When you do that remix of my track, it became clear to me that I should be having more fun using them. :D
It's still one of my favourite collabs! I regularly send it to people when they ask what kind of music I make. (I always do explain you wrote the melody and arrangement, btw)

Although I do not want to disparage the thousand hats track I made with Teflon Tomb, which was also a lot of fun
Thank you much! And yeah, the Teflon track is really nice. Very rhythmically stimulating, and those long delays and triggered/rolled things on his voice are cool. You are using all SoundToys delay on these tracks if I remember - is that correct? Not Reason's The Echo?

Auryn

23 Jul 2023

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
21 Jul 2023

Thank you much! And yeah, the Teflon track is really nice. Very rhythmically stimulating, and those long delays and triggered/rolled things on his voice are cool. You are using all SoundToys delay on these tracks if I remember - is that correct? Not Reason's The Echo?
Yeah that's true, I don't get the same feeling of realistic space out of most other delays/echos (not just reason's echo). I haven't really tried the ekssperimental sounds one though, that might be good
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

• Information