Your opinions on sequencers please

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
dvdrtldg
Posts: 1483
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 24 Mar 2021

Tell me about sequencers my friends. I've got Sequences on trial at the moment, and while I haven't fully got to grips with it yet, I'm having trouble seeing what all the hype is about. I mean it's great, but then so are Kompulsion and Step and PSQ-1684 and Grid 64n and Drum Sequencer and this one and that one and the other one

So this isn't a "Should I buy Sequences?" thread but I would be interested to know which sequencers in Reason you find really good, and why you particularly like them

User avatar
Carly(Poohbear)
Posts: 2719
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Location: UK

Post 24 Mar 2021

Kompulsion is the King Arps.
Sequences is the King of Seq.

I have a lot of different Sequencers and Sequences stands totally out from the rest of them. The conditions, quick edit's and recording functions is the main reason it stands right out, I was able to make a complex 8 bar loop with it. I do all my drums with it.

I recently completed a project where I used 168 of them and I would not have been able to do that project without them, I believe what I achieved may have been a first....

User avatar
ReRun Van PX7
Posts: 14
Joined: 27 Jan 2021

Post 24 Mar 2021

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
24 Mar 2021
Kompulsion is the King Arps.
Sequences is the King of Seq.

I have a lot of different Sequencers and Sequences stands totally out from the rest of them. The conditions, quick edit's and recording functions is the main reason it stands right out, I was able to make a complex 8 bar loop with it. I do all my drums with it.

I recently completed a project where I used 168 of them and I would not have been able to do that project without them, I believe what I achieved may have been a first....
Agreed 100%. Kompulsion is the King Arps. Sequences is the King of Seq.

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1411
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 24 Mar 2021

I bought Sequences, just today.

So far, I have no buyer's remorse. :puf_smile:
R11 Suite

My music made in Reason : https://audius.co/jeff40529158

Bes
Posts: 475
Joined: 22 Feb 2017

Post 24 Mar 2021

ive the quickest workflow with kompulsion so i use it first for everything.
korde is my fav arp because of its free running speed mode and cv in to scan or stutter through each voices pattern
delta midi computer is great for building specific sequencers
um i'll go to rb's Sequencers for the inter-sequence conditions and stepped mode where i would have once used step with euclid or redrum
step still has the easiest to use S&H feature and great performance cv triggers for note ties and retriggering and sequence position like korde
phrase key trigged seq is a favourite for playing with rhythm and velocity but its really an arpeggiator
i used to use as-16 a lot to sequence pattern changes in other sequencers but lately i'll just throw LPCV and some other cv tools together for that
i used 3x matrixs the other week for drum programming for the algoritm song challenge but they are pretty basic and dont have much inter device communication options so that was pretty rare for me

my music is at its best when i combine different sequencers and point them at each other. each perhaps doing something that the others cannot

User avatar
dvdrtldg
Posts: 1483
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 25 Mar 2021

Bes wrote:
24 Mar 2021
my music is at its best when i combine different sequencers and point them at each other. each perhaps doing something that the others cannot
I find this too. Just one of the many joys of the Reason environment

User avatar
demt
Posts: 1184
Joined: 16 Sep 2016

Post 25 Mar 2021

Erm ive never had mutch luck with software sequencers ,got myself a nektar aura hardware sequencer and everything gellls nicely ,long story but I luv it.
Reason 11 suite ,modular rack ,squarp hermon ,nektar aura ,editerkeys reason keyboard
hear scince reason 2.5

electrofux
Posts: 735
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 25 Mar 2021

I just bought sequences and use it for quick recording of the output of other players like Quadnote. With replace mode it is the easiest way to record loops. The king of stepsequencers is StepNote imho and not only in the reason realm not only because you can turn it into a hardware sequencer.

User avatar
Seckin
Posts: 105
Joined: 09 Apr 2016
Location: Turkey

Post 29 Mar 2021

They are truly a gift for the kind of people who make the kind of music that needs sequencers. I don't make that kind of music, so sequencers don't mean anything to me. I wouldn't download and use them even if they were all freeware.
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

User avatar
dioxide
Posts: 1378
Joined: 15 Jul 2015

Post 29 Mar 2021

electrofux wrote:
25 Mar 2021
I just bought sequences and use it for quick recording of the output of other players like Quadnote. With replace mode it is the easiest way to record loops. The king of stepsequencers is StepNote imho and not only in the reason realm not only because you can turn it into a hardware sequencer.
StepNote maps the steps to Remote which means you can use it with a MIDI controller. I think Sequences doesn't have any Remote control for steps.

User avatar
RoryM0
Posts: 209
Joined: 21 Jun 2017

Post 29 Mar 2021

electrofux wrote:
25 Mar 2021
I just bought sequences and use it for quick recording of the output of other players like Quadnote. With replace mode it is the easiest way to record loops. The king of stepsequencers is StepNote imho and not only in the reason realm not only because you can turn it into a hardware sequencer.
Yes. Step Note with a Sequences on top is where it's at. Conditional notes feeding in to conditional notes is awesome.

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 2454
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 04 Apr 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
25 Mar 2021
Bes wrote:
24 Mar 2021
my music is at its best when i combine different sequencers and point them at each other. each perhaps doing something that the others cannot
I find this too. Just one of the many joys of the Reason environment
MIDI CV Converter for the (spider webbed) win!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
dvdrtldg
Posts: 1483
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 04 Apr 2021

Seckin wrote:
29 Mar 2021
They are truly a gift for the kind of people who make the kind of music that needs sequencers. I don't make that kind of music, so sequencers don't mean anything to me. I wouldn't download and use them even if they were all freeware.
:roll:

Check out John Denver over here

User avatar
Seckin
Posts: 105
Joined: 09 Apr 2016
Location: Turkey

Post 05 Apr 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
04 Apr 2021
Seckin wrote:
29 Mar 2021
They are truly a gift for the kind of people who make the kind of music that needs sequencers. I don't make that kind of music, so sequencers don't mean anything to me. I wouldn't download and use them even if they were all freeware.
:roll:

Check out John Denver over here
Lol. Ok. I'm sorry. We should all use sequencers.
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], rorystorm, stefan and 6 guests