Bass Grid - Mutation Collider

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Despondo
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2021

New RE from Bass Grid in the shop...

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -collider/

RoryM0

23 Mar 2021

When I first saw this I thought it was one of those hideous rompler instruments, but then I realised how wrong I was and that this actually seems like a really interesting RE. Respect to the dev.

guitfnky

23 Mar 2021

so is it essentially a four-way mixer?

also, I wonder what’s behind the decision to make it so you need to trigger the LFOs with MIDI—is there some benefit to doing it this way, over allowing them to run freely? or at least giving people the option to choose to run them without MIDI?
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

integerpoet

24 Mar 2021

This does seem like a cool idea in theory and I am annoyed with myself that it's not obvious what itch of mine it would scratch.

Maybe that's what demo mode is for! :-)

Am thinking with slow oscillations it might be good for weirdly undulating pads.

Somebody else must be the target market for faster oscillations. More power to 'em!

zoidkirb

24 Mar 2021

guitfnky wrote:
23 Mar 2021

also, I wonder what’s behind the decision to make it so you need to trigger the LFOs with MIDI—is there some benefit to doing it this way, over allowing them to run freely? or at least giving people the option to choose to run them without MIDI?
Big benefits to Midi triggering. Think along the lines of Stutter Edit, and "playing" your modulations like an "instrument" .
I have a similar setup with a Combinator and a ReTouch Control Morph, and a bunch of LFO's, but I draw in my Midi notes. This method can be really useful to build up and edit complex modulations.

I agree that the option should be there to run these LFO's freely too. I know a lot of people really wanted that idea implemented properly in Stutter Edit 2 as well.

PhillipOrdonez

25 Mar 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
24 Mar 2021
guitfnky wrote:
23 Mar 2021

Big benefits to Midi triggering. Think along the lines of Stutter Edit, and "playing" your modulations like an "instrument" .
I have a similar setup with a Combinator and a ReTouch Control Morph, and a bunch of LFO's, but I draw in my Midi notes. This method can be really useful to build up and edit complex modulations.

I agree that the option should be there to run these LFO's freely too. I know a lot of people really wanted that idea implemented properly in Stutter Edit 2 as well.
Can't one use our own external modulation sources on this thing though? I would imagine you can 🤷‍♂️

zoidkirb

25 Mar 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
25 Mar 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
24 Mar 2021

Can't one use our own external modulation sources on this thing though? I would imagine you can 🤷‍♂️
Yep you sure can. Can run your own LFO or any CV into each of the 4 sections to control high/mid/low level and pan.
I havn't played with it much yet but both the MIDI triggering and the CV'ing seem to have a lot of creative potential.
But I'm still not convinced I couldn't build something similar using Groovy Melon and Morph, along with a heap of cables and a Combinator. This device is a pretty attractive all in one package though...

• Information