(POLL) - Will you buy Algoritm?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Will you buy Algoritm?

I've already bought it
6%
I'm a Reason + user so I have access to it
11%
Haven't bought it yet, but I will
26%
Haven't decided yet
23%
No not interested
30%
My plan is to win the Algoritm Song Competition so that I won't have to pay for it
5%

Total votes: 145
gullum

06 Mar 2021

I'm not a synth/key guy, did not get complex 1 or scenic nor fiction but this one looks like something I would get it seams to cover quite a lot of options sound wise, so I am in t not decided yet but if I have money to burn and it's on sale at the same time, witch I doubt. Whenever there is a sale I have no money and when I have money there is no sale.

platzangst

06 Mar 2021

I will probably buy it - eventually. I'm going to wait until either 1) some amazing unpredictable sale appears; or 2) Reason 12 comes out and I see how that all shakes down.

VIVIsect

06 Mar 2021

I'm not buying it, as I really have no want/need for another synth. I did play around with the trial though, and I do like the layout/simplicity and everything. It's neat, just don't need it.

aeox
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2021

With the amount of skilled producers around here I'd be a fool to choose "My plan is to win the Algoritm Song Competition so that I won't have to pay for it"

I plan to buy it!

PhillipOrdonez

06 Mar 2021

aeox wrote:
06 Mar 2021
With the amount of skilled producers around here I'd be a fool to choose "My plan is to win the Algoritm Song Competition so that I won't have to pay for it"

I plan to buy it!
You are very skilled. I think you could win.

Social Exodus

06 Mar 2021

My curious heart wants to continue to play with this since it is on trial. But I doubt I will buy it anytime soon, unless it hits a sale. Honestly it's probably not going to happen in light of "recent events" with Reason+, which I feel is the beginning of the end of perpetual licensing. Cakewalk's Platinum LIfetime Ownership taught me that much since Gibson shuttered them a year or so later.

I already have so much to play with and master in Reason 11 Suite, that I could take the rest of my days and not have exhausted the creative potential.
  • Europa
  • Grain
  • Thor
  • Parsec
  • Scenic Hybrid
  • Complex 1
Not to mention Rack Extensions:
  • Expanse (no idea now why I sprang for this because it is miles above my head)
  • FM4
  • Antidote
  • The Legend
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

VariableX

07 Mar 2021

Social Exodus wrote:
06 Mar 2021
My curious heart wants to continue to play with this since it is on trial. But I doubt I will buy it anytime soon, unless it hits a sale. Honestly it's probably not going to happen in light of "recent events" with Reason+, which I feel is the beginning of the end of perpetual licensing. Cakewalk's Platinum LIfetime Ownership taught me that much since Gibson shuttered them a year or so later.

I already have so much to play with and master in Reason 11 Suite, that I could take the rest of my days and not have exhausted the creative potential.
  • Europa
  • Grain
  • Thor
  • Parsec
  • Scenic Hybrid
  • Complex 1
Not to mention Rack Extensions:
  • Expanse (no idea now why I sprang for this because it is miles above my head)
  • FM4
  • Antidote
  • The Legend
this is exactly the predicament im in too. anytime i get gas i just start using different things and the gas quickly dissipates 😀

JdA57

07 Mar 2021

Ok, working with PX7 since years, But Bought Algoritm Same day it was released.
Best RE Probs / RS ever released 👍🏼

(Ok, bought all RE’s, but this is really amazing. And you can do HX-Sounds - 8 / 9 OP-FM-Synths and more. Really impressed)

cymek74

08 Mar 2021

I voted for haven't decided yet, I simply have too many synths, including FM. I do really like it though, if I was a new user and was delving into FM for the first time I'd probably have snapped it up. It will probably be a long time before it hits a sale, but I can live without it until then.
Reason 12, Bitwig 4, Win 10 :recycle: :reason: :re:

hurricane
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2021

I thought Algoritm was soooooo awesome and Reason Studios' best synth and blah blah blah. After spending a few more hours with it for the song challenge, I still don't think it's worth $99, and $49 is also in the "I still have to think about it" territory. The thing is, after messing with it for a while, you get to a "is that it??" point, where you realize how bare-bones of a synth it really is. But whatever - if you like it so much put your money where your mouth is.

(Before someone comes in and mentions the very small sample size that is this Reason forum - yeah I know, but it's the only data we have.)
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2021

hurricane wrote:
08 Mar 2021
I thought Algoritm was soooooo awesome and Reason Studios' best synth and blah blah blah. After spending a few more hours with it for the song challenge, I still don't think it's worth $99, and $49 is also in the "I still have to think about it" territory. The thing is, after messing with it for a while, you get to a "is that it??" point, where you realize how bare-bones of a synth it really is. But whatever - if you like it so much put your money where your mouth is.

(Before someone comes in and mentions the very small sample size that is this Reason forum - yeah I know, but it's the only data we have.)
I liked Algoritm from the beginning, but didn't plan to buy it at full price. But I started to like it more and more. So I went ahead and bought the damn thing. I really really enjoy it. For me it probably is "Reason Studios' best synth". Not the smartest move economically, but f*** it, sometimes you have to strike while the inspiration is there.

Just curious, what do you look for in a synth personally? Of course it's not only one thing but, what are the most important aspects?
Depth? GUI? Sound?(obviously) Fun factor? Something else?

hurricane
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
08 Mar 2021
Just curious, what do you look for in a synth personally? Of course it's not only one thing but, what are the most important aspects?
Depth? GUI? Sound?(obviously) Fun factor? Something else?
Yeah, all of that, but when it comes specifically to rack extensions, (RANT INCOMING AND I JUST HAD A LONG ISLAND ICED TEA) I feel like there's this low bar that some developers meet, and then that's it - they don't go any higher. This is my problem with Algoritm and practically all of RS's instruments. It's just enough to please some people, others succumb to shiny new toy syndrome, and there's another group who'll take any RE just because it's an RE. And then what really drives me nuts with Algoritm specifically is that RS thought rate-level envelopes were too complex for us to understand so they just gave us ADSR because the "majority" of sounds we'd make will be fine with ADSR. Only FM Jedis need rate level envelopes. And then there's DX7 patch import where it's not supported by Algoritm because of the dang ADSR envelopes when it's obvious that the decision to go with ADSR envelopes meant that DX7 patch import wasn't going to be possible no matter what, and then they proceed to diss the old patches because they're "old", but you know very well that if Algoritm was able to import DX7 patches then RS would be raving about that. You know the new F.'em synth that's about to come out - well they're going to add DX import because the people asked for it!

I don't know if anyone here even knows what you can do with r/l envelopes, but here's an example. This is me holding one note and letting the envelopes do their thing (warning: this is loud):

And just for fun, here's a simple sequence where I'm taking one of those "cheesy" DX7 patches and using FM8's onboard arp/step editor, in combination with the Morph Grid and automating several parameters on FM8's "easy" page.

All of these "extras" that FM8 has, maaaaaan - so fun, so inspiring. It gives you the flexibility to take all those old DX7 patches and modernize them with ease. I don't know about you, but I think it would have been so awesome to "algoritm-ize" the old DX7 patches. But again, due to RS's decision to meet the low bar and STOP, well, that's not practical is it? You can recreate them, but who wants to do that. So, I'm looking forward to an ambitious FM synth, and I think F'.em looks like that's going to be it, with 4 layers, 11 operators, various other features, and DX7 patch import to be added later this year.

I like what they stated on their forum (my comments are in red):

"It started as an 'easy' relatively quick project, but Wolfram (Wolfram Franke of Waldorf fame) has been wanting to dive deep into FM for years and this grew into a monster. We have been careful to keep it approachable for the many (this is where RS stopped with Algoritm, at the approachable stage), whilst offering a depth of capabilities that will excite the most hardened FM fanatics."

That's it. So in conclusion and to answer the topic - NO, I will not be buying Algoritm lol.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

ltbrunt00

09 Mar 2021

I have to buy it. I have been using many of my new projects. Its like a one stop shop for making synth sounds quickly. Once my trial ends I will have to purchase it or rent to own.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

OverneathTheSkyBridg

09 Mar 2021

I have no immediate plans to buy Algoritm, but I'm pretty impressed with the job they've done with it. My FM needs are currently covered by PX7 and FM4, and I have so many synths that I never get around to using. I will however try my hand at the song competition, and if I win then that'd be great!

SebAudio

11 Mar 2021

hurricane wrote:
08 Mar 2021

That's it. So in conclusion and to answer the topic - NO, I will not be buying Algoritm lol.
It’ll be hard to beat FM8 so don’t expect anybody except NI to release FM9 ;)

hurricane
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2021

SebAudio wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Yeah, I just don't know if FM9 will ever happen, and F.'em at least looks like at the minimum, it could be as juicy as FM8. And it's encouraging to have Wolfram Franke as the lead on it.

It'll be out any day now.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

11 Mar 2021

hurricane wrote:
11 Mar 2021
SebAudio wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Yeah, I just don't know if FM9 will ever happen, and F.'em at least looks like at the minimum, it could be as juicy as FM8. And it's encouraging to have Wolfram Franke as the lead on it.

It'll be out any day now.
But Algoritm is FM9 :P FM8 has 8 operators and Algoritm has 9 :D

• Information