Algoritm is released!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Jagwah

25 Feb 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Jagwah wrote:
25 Feb 2021
OK how do I remove an Algoritm cable, is there a hot key?

By the way @mods thanks for starting a new thread not sure if that's a new thing but I was going to suggest it.
Just click on it
Yeah really smooth thanks :)
Last edited by Jagwah on 25 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

ab459

25 Feb 2021

Looks interesting. Do i right understand that it can full repeat any patch of PX7 ? (i mean not import, but manually at least)
ie it's fully replace px ? (well of course except envelope macros and similar auxiliary things)
Last edited by ab459 on 25 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

plesio

25 Feb 2021

This one looks and sounds absolutely amazing.
I wish I would have R+... :(

...wait a minute....I have R+ ! :D

This makes my day !!! :thumbup:

PS:
I pretty much like to see all this positive feedback for Reasonstudios. This is missed to often here...imho...
:reason: R11 Suite & R+, what else. I just love it. https://soundcloud.com/user-543016572
Ultimate mixing noob with medical certified lowpass at 9,6 kHz :(
Music is that certain noise you can remember three minutes later...and vice versa.

RoryM0

25 Feb 2021

ab459 wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Looks interesting. Do i right understand that it can full repeat any patch of PX7 ? (i mean not import, but manually at least)
No, envelopes are different and scaling/breakpoint stuff isn't implemented like a D or PX7.

Billy+

25 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
25 Feb 2021

I don't even need to read the manual to answer that question.

No that's totally not the point......
challism wrote:
25 Feb 2021
That's correct, it cannot.
Actually although the ribbon is not automatable you can record automation while using the ribbon and all the automation will get recorded
Billy+ wrote:
25 Feb 2021
James if you read this I hope you give Lectic Panda a free copy so he can do his generative magic.
Glad you agree with that one :thumbup:
Last edited by Billy+ on 25 Feb 2021, edited 3 times in total.

antic604

25 Feb 2021

plesio wrote:
25 Feb 2021
I wish I would have R+... :(

...wait a minute....I have R+ ! :D
Update your signature ;)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Billy+

25 Feb 2021

Jagwah wrote:
25 Feb 2021

Indeed!

PLC for life!! :thumbup:
lol you can join if you want, just use the avatar and the signature tag ;)

ab459

25 Feb 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
25 Feb 2021
ab459 wrote:
25 Feb 2021
No, envelopes are different and scaling/breakpoint stuff isn't implemented like a D or PX7.
Ok, but if you find the same envelope values, then? (I guess it doesn't have a smaller range of magnitude in the envelopes?)

RoryM0

25 Feb 2021

ab459 wrote:
25 Feb 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
25 Feb 2021

Ok, but if you find the same envelope values, then? (I guess it doesn't have a smaller range of magnitude in the envelopes?)
You could probably replicate many PX7 patches generally speaking - in spirit, you'd get close enough I'd say. But maybe some of the more detailed envelope things would be impossible to replicate, and the scaling of operators over the keyboard wouldn't be as specific, and not sure if Algoritm has a pitch envelope unless you patch one in via the CV inputs (but that's the fun of Reason!).

EDIT: However maybe you could use the curves on Algoritm in a creative way to get closer to some of these things?

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

25 Feb 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
25 Feb 2021
ab459 wrote:
25 Feb 2021

You could probably replicate many PX7 patches generally speaking - in spirit, you'd get close enough I'd say. But maybe some of the more detailed envelope things would be impossible to replicate, and the scaling of operators over the keyboard wouldn't be as specific, and not sure if Algoritm has a pitch envelope unless you patch one in via the CV inputs (but that's the fun of Reason!).

EDIT: However maybe you could use the curves on Algoritm in a creative way to get closer to some of these things?
Yeah, you can. Since you can use the Curves and mix them with the internal envelopes, and even use envelopes from operators not making sounds, you have quite a lot of options. You can also modulate the envelope parameters for different curves. While our aim was to NOT be feature-for-feature of the grandparents of FM, there's quite a lot of overlap and you can get REAL close.

RoryM0

25 Feb 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
25 Feb 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
25 Feb 2021

Yeah, you can. Since you can use the Curves and mix them with the internal envelopes, and even use envelopes from operators not making sounds, you have quite a lot of options. You can also modulate the envelope parameters for different curves. While our aim was to NOT be feature-for-feature of the grandparents of FM, there's quite a lot of overlap and you can get REAL close.
Ah yes, all those envelopes can go anywhere. Oh that's great!

Jagwah

25 Feb 2021

I'd really like to modulate an OP in Algoritm using a CV input and my own sources for modulating, maybe this doesn't really work but it's cool for experimentation. To do this in the matrix, is there something specifically I can assign CV1 to to do this? Freq, Tune and Wave Modulation seem like they might be appropriate just not sure as it's a bit confusing. I've always wanted to do this, couldn't do it in Blamsoft's Zero, so maybe it's not a thing to do hmmm

guitfnky

25 Feb 2021

looks very cool. that randomizer is a brilliant implementation—nice work!
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Jagwah

25 Feb 2021

Om nom nom nom nom nom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Audio to CV to modulate algoritm.jpg
Audio to CV to modulate algoritm.jpg (241.68 KiB) Viewed 5546 times

antic604

25 Feb 2021

Jagwah wrote:
25 Feb 2021
I'd really like to modulate an OP in Algoritm using a CV input and my own sources for modulating...
You mean you want to modulate actual algorithm's routing with CV? I don't think you can. You can connect everything to everything and then modulate the volumes to keep some connections active and others inactive, but that wouldn't be very practical.
Last edited by antic604 on 25 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast.

antic604

25 Feb 2021

Jagwah wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Om nom nom nom nom nom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That modulates the pitch of the OP, not the algorithm.

EDIT: Ok, I'm stupid! You wanted to modulate the OP, not the FM algorithm :oops:
Last edited by antic604 on 25 Feb 2021, edited 2 times in total.
Music tech enthusiast.

RoryM0

25 Feb 2021

Jagwah wrote:
25 Feb 2021
I'd really like to modulate an OP in Algoritm using a CV input and my own sources for modulating, maybe this doesn't really work but it's cool for experimentation. To do this in the matrix, is there something specifically I can assign CV1 to to do this? Freq, Tune and Wave Modulation seem like they might be appropriate just not sure as it's a bit confusing. I've always wanted to do this, couldn't do it in Blamsoft's Zero, so maybe it's not a thing to do hmmm
I guess freq would be the pitch of the op, tune the fine tuning, and wave would be specific to the osc & noise module.

ab459

25 Feb 2021

Guys, I feel like I can't get an answer to my question, or he really isn't able to repeat PX7 patches manually.

RoryM0 say - probably, MattiasHG say - yes you can - but about some other things.

If speech going about that here the operators / envelopes are even not able to reproduce (optionally of course) the work on the same principle as in the PX7 , then this is rather sad.

But I hope this is not the case.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

25 Feb 2021

A stunning synth, and again showcases RS unique ability for making powerful synths childsplay to use. In this particular case it's still a good idea to have some prior knowledge of FM, because FM is just a bit nasty to learn properly - but it's easy to pick up the basics from Thor and then go from there :D

The randomizer is a very good move for this synth too.

Dragging the operators around is an inspired move, and makes organising things a lot easier.

The Fade mode for frequencies however, is where the money is at. It's just soooooo nice to use, and adds a lot of sonic flexibility - a brilliant feature!

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

25 Feb 2021

ab459 wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Guys, I feel like I can't get an answer to my question, or he really isn't able to repeat PX7 patches manually.

RoryM0 say - probably, MattiasHG say - yes you can - but about some other things.

If speech going about that here the operators / envelopes are even not able to reproduce (optionally of course) the work on the same principle as in the PX7 , then this is rather sad.

You can't load a patch from PX7 (that I know of anyway, it would at least need some kind of very smart converter). There is nothing to stop you using this like the PX7 though, the principles of FM have not changed.

I only see one aspect of PX7 that might be difficult here, and that is the keyboard scaling options on the right hand side of PX7, as some bits of it are global rather than per operator... I think, anyway. Personally, there is no loss there, that was a VERY niche feature that harkened to the times when the Yamaha DX-7 first came out and there was much more need for that kind of thing.

You could also Mod Matrix your way towards getting the Pitch Env/Env Rate etc, although there are slight differences with how you do it, Pitch is global only like DX7/PX7, but the others are all per voice.
Last edited by Enlightenspeed on 25 Feb 2021, edited 2 times in total.

RoryM0

25 Feb 2021

ab459 wrote:
25 Feb 2021

The envelopes are not the same principle as D/PX7 envelopes. Here they are normal ADSR envelopes, on the D/PX7 you have separate envelopes for level and rate and control over each stage.

ab459

25 Feb 2021

Enlightenspeed wrote:
25 Feb 2021
You can't load a patch from PX7 (that I know of anyway, it would at least need some kind of very smart converter). There is nothing to stop you using this like the PX7 though, the principles of FM have not changed.
Yes i understand - I already wrote above that do not meant importing patches.

I mean (including) - we can't speak that he can do much more if he can't do the same simple things as in px.

ab459

25 Feb 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
25 Feb 2021
ab459 wrote:
25 Feb 2021

The envelopes are not the same principle as D/PX7 envelopes. Here they are normal ADSR envelopes, on the D/PX7 you have separate envelopes for level and rate and control over each stage.
Again - but synth that can a much more - should be capable to replicate these difference - no ??

Billy+

25 Feb 2021

James you still need to sort out the extra space between the pack title and the RS logo!
IMG_2536.JPG
IMG_2536.JPG (151.42 KiB) Viewed 5457 times
https://share.reasonstudios.com/pack/184/
https://share.reasonstudios.com/pack/185/
https://share.reasonstudios.com/pack/186/

RoryM0

25 Feb 2021

ab459 wrote:
25 Feb 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
25 Feb 2021

Again - but synth that can a much more - should be capable to replicate these difference - no ??
I've only had it an hour, so not sure atm. Depends on how closely you want to replicate.... if you mean exactly replicate the parameters of any PX7 patch across all musical pitches and sound exactly the same in all circumstances.... then I'm going to say no, that definitely isn't possible. It's not PX7 nor is it trying to be, it's a different instrument.

• Information