Algoritm is released!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Jagwah

26 Feb 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
26 Feb 2021
Jagwah wrote:
26 Feb 2021
Second day in and loving it, very inspiring.

What is the easiest way to change that FM sine to a FM saw?
Feed back the operator into itself :)
Really cool!!! Now I can easily follow some old Sytrus tutorials for reese basses, thanks!! :D

Jagwah

26 Feb 2021

:re: :thumbup:
JAG REESE 1.zip
(2.03 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

Rappelled Hero

26 Feb 2021

I won't be able to test this until next week.

In the mean time, can anyone advise what the CPU usage of this is like?

Is it comparable to PX7 in CPU use? And is it more CPU heavy or less CPU heavy than Europa?

Please let me know! Thank you

sdst
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2021

the video is so good that I learned to use my other FM Synth RE- Lol

I'll try this when I have time

Mistro17

26 Feb 2021

I have the same vibe I had when Friktion was released. Couldn't get it at the time but eventually I got it because it had to get got. This will be in my stash one day.

SoundObjects

26 Feb 2021

Nice sound demo :-)

The Universe Is Vibrating

ReRun Van PX7

26 Feb 2021

miscend wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Noise wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Wait,did Com Truise made a demo for this ? This is crazy
Thats a nice surprise. I didn't know he was a Reason user.
There are a quite a few artist on Ghostly that write/produce in Reason and have released some classics on the label - Seth (CT), Zack (Shigeto) and Jakub (Heathered Pearls) to name a few.

Tycho & Freinds w? Heathered Pearls

Ghostly
https://ghostly.com/artists/com-truise
https://ghostly.com/artists/shigeto
https://ghostly.com/artists/heathered-pearls

SebAudio

26 Feb 2021

selig wrote:
25 Feb 2021
ryanharlin wrote:
25 Feb 2021

Sure! You could put a shaper between one of those modules set to saturate to use as a gain stage, effectively. Maybe Mattias will chime in and tell me I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this would give you the ability to turn down the modulator level and scale it back up for only one of those destinations.

If you use the Shaper you will need to set MIX to the minimum (0%) setting for it to work as expected, otherwise you loose 6-7 dB. Filter also works, either set to HP or leave on LP and open up the filter all the way. Keep in mind you can only REDUCE level with this approach, so setup the loudest modulation the way you like it first, then use this trick for the lower level modulation routing.
OR…
Worth noting that for sine waves, the LP filter will act much like a volume control, so you could use the filter itself to lower the level, which gives you the added benefit of using the built in filter envelope for level control. Plus, you could also use resonance to add up to 12 dB gain above unity (which obviously would only work as a level control for sine waves, but could produce interesting results on other waveforms).
Wouldn’t it be easier if you could set the modulation amount applied to the modulated operator using the « ring » around the operator in the routing display ?

SebAudio

26 Feb 2021

antic604 wrote:
25 Feb 2021
A video from Ryan:

That looks more like a happy coincidence than a deliberate, intentional design :) Especially because if you're gonna make mistake and insert other type of module, I'd assume the original is gone? Which is gonna be increasingly difficult if you want to exclude say 6 of 9 used slots from randomisation. Good luck remembering what they were...
Wouldn’t it be easier with a switch on each operator « window » or in the routing display ?

Gardinski

26 Feb 2021

SebAudio wrote:
26 Feb 2021
antic604 wrote:
25 Feb 2021

That looks more like a happy coincidence than a deliberate, intentional design :) Especially because if you're gonna make mistake and insert other type of module, I'd assume the original is gone? Which is gonna be increasingly difficult if you want to exclude say 6 of 9 used slots from randomisation. Good luck remembering what they were...
Wouldn’t it be easier with a switch on each operator « window » or in the routing display ?
I agree that a 'freeze' button for each op would be the best solution, like the hold button on a fruit machine. However, to address Antic's concern about losing the module's settings if you inadvertently insert a filter/shaper in its place, I've given it a try, and it seems your fears are unfounded. You can add a shaper/filter/noise thing ('by mistake') into the slot, tweak all its settings, then delete it and reload the original operator, and hey presto - all the settings are there just as they were before you deleted it. Pretty cool.

The more I play with this thing, the more impressed I am. Honestly, I wasn't expecting to be so blown away by it, because FM is really not my 'thing'. (I bought PX7 as one of my first RE purchases, but then barely touched it because I was scared away by the seeming impenetrability of FM synthesis.)

But ALGORITM is a sheer delight to play around with. It's a gorgeous sounding synth with incredible potential, and I can imagine myself whisking it off to a desert island for a year or two of happy noodling (just as soon as we're allowed to fly again). On the strength of this release (and FRIKTION, which I absolutely love), I think things are looking really positive for the future of Reason. I'm still resolutely in the 'Perpetual License' gang, but I'm feeling increasingly optimistic that there's still great stuff in the pipeline which will be of benefit to both camps: the new subscribers and the old 'owner/occupiers'.

Hopefully a release of this calibre might help to shut up a few of the naysayers. There's been way too much negativity on the forum of late, and it's refreshing to see everyone (seemingly) happy and inspired for a change. Big thanks to Mattias and the development crew, and kudos to Ryan for a great introductory video.

ReRun Van PX7

26 Feb 2021

ReRun Van PX7 wrote:
26 Feb 2021
miscend wrote:
25 Feb 2021

Thats a nice surprise. I didn't know he was a Reason user.
There are quite a few artist on Ghostly that write/produce in Reason and have released some classics on the label - Seth (CT), Zack (Shigeto) and Jakub (Heathered Pearls) to name a few.

Tycho & Freinds with Heathered Pearls

Ghostly
https://ghostly.com/artists/com-truise
https://ghostly.com/artists/shigeto
https://ghostly.com/artists/heathered-pearls

manisnotabird

26 Feb 2021

The one module is called "Osc & Noise" but only seems to be regular wavetables, with only "sine-noise" having noise. Am I missing something?

Is there an easy way to tune individual modules with key tracking turned off to specific notes?

Creativemind

26 Feb 2021

I take it back, the gui isn't that bad. My apologies.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Kuranes2021

26 Feb 2021

Gardinski wrote:
26 Feb 2021
SebAudio wrote:
26 Feb 2021

I agree that a 'freeze' button for each op would be the best solution, like the hold button on a fruit machine. However, to address Antic's concern about losing the module's settings if you inadvertently insert a filter/shaper in its place, I've given it a try, and it seems your fears are unfounded. You can add a shaper/filter/noise thing ('by mistake') into the slot, tweak all its settings, then delete it and reload the original operator, and hey presto - all the settings are there just as they were before you deleted it. Pretty cool.

The more I play with this thing, the more impressed I am. Honestly, I wasn't expecting to be so blown away by it, because FM is really not my 'thing'. (I bought PX7 as one of my first RE purchases, but then barely touched it because I was scared away by the seeming impenetrability of FM synthesis.)

But ALGORITM is a sheer delight to play around with. It's a gorgeous sounding synth with incredible potential, and I can imagine myself whisking it off to a desert island for a year or two of happy noodling (just as soon as we're allowed to fly again). On the strength of this release (and FRIKTION, which I absolutely love), I think things are looking really positive for the future of Reason. I'm still resolutely in the 'Perpetual License' gang, but I'm feeling increasingly optimistic that there's still great stuff in the pipeline which will be of benefit to both camps: the new subscribers and the old 'owner/occupiers'.

Hopefully a release of this calibre might help to shut up a few of the naysayers. There's been way too much negativity on the forum of late, and it's refreshing to see everyone (seemingly) happy and inspired for a change. Big thanks to Mattias and the development crew, and kudos to Ryan for a great introductory video.
I can only second your thoughts. I did not expect to be blown away by ALGORITM. But I am here to say: I am blown away by ALGORITM. Like with FRIKTION it took me not more than 30 minutes to know, that I'd love that magnificent beast. And once more, I happily carried my hard earned money into the reason shop to buy another RE. Something I swore just 4 weeks ago, I'd never do again. But, goddammit, Reason Studios, your toys are irresistible! :D

BRIGGS

26 Feb 2021

My brain on Algoritm:

Last edited by BRIGGS on 26 Feb 2021, edited 2 times in total.
r11s

mjxl

26 Feb 2021

SebAudio wrote:
26 Feb 2021
antic604 wrote:
25 Feb 2021
A video from Ryan:
Hello :) (zip file)

It stays on Freq1 for Osc2. You can add more via the programmer in teh combinator.
Attachments
Algoritm - Osc2-Freq1.zip
(3.53 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

phithegoldenratio

26 Feb 2021

:?:
MAY somebody please enlighten me, why on newer RS synths the modulation matrix amounts are not automatable anymore????
:lightbulb:

. I think, this started with 'Scenic' and I do not like that direction.

Otherwise 'Algoritm' is mind bending! :cool: :clap:

Jagwah

27 Feb 2021

phithegoldenratio wrote:
26 Feb 2021
MAY somebody please enlighten me, why on newer RS synths the modulation matrix amounts are not automatable anymore????

Yeah that's a bit uncool, Europa doesn't allow it either yet Thor did no problem.

phithegoldenratio

27 Feb 2021

Jagwah wrote:
27 Feb 2021
phithegoldenratio wrote:
26 Feb 2021

Yeah that's a bit uncool, Europa doesn't allow it either yet Thor did no problem.
Hmmm.. check back! ;) Europa, Grain, Parsec all DO allow. they have a small knob aside the value whereas Algoritm does not.

Jagwah

27 Feb 2021

phithegoldenratio wrote:
27 Feb 2021
Jagwah wrote:
27 Feb 2021

Hmmm.. check back! ;) Europa, Grain, Parsec all DO allow. they have a small knob aside the value whereas Algoritm does not.
My bad, maybe it's not a very used feature and that's why they are dropping it now, still kind of uncool with no explanation.

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2021

NoisiaTHX wrote:
26 Feb 2021
deeplink wrote:
26 Feb 2021
What is the patch heard at 0:30 seconds into the RS video? The "Angry Bass"?
Yes, the Noisy Neuro Bass is not included in the presets. :cry:
It wouldn't sound that good anyway even if it was. That's good mixing going on there

SoundObjects

27 Feb 2021

Can someone help ? :shock:
algr.png
algr.png (54.9 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
The Universe Is Vibrating

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2021

SoundObjects wrote:
27 Feb 2021
Can someone help ? :shock: