Anyone down for a 30 day Algoritm project?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2021

So the new FM synth Algoritm is released and I'm thinking of turning this into a 30 day project where I make as much Algoritm music as I can. Would be fun if other people would join too.
My guess is most people are not Reason + users. And maybe you're like me, hesitant to buy REs from RS, since they usually end up as stock devices or will be sold much cheaper later on.

So I'm thinking I'm gonna use my Algoritm 30 day trial effectively with a clear intent. To make as much music with Algoritm (as the only synth) as I can. After the trial time is up I've hopefully gotten most of my Algoritm curiosity out of my system and I won't have a strong need to buy it (if I like it). Or at least have the patience to buy it at a better price.

Anyone else interested in this idea? A 30 day Algoritm project? Could be anything from 1 song to 4 songs depending on your time and ambition.
It's always more fun if more people are engaged and sharing their work.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 25 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

24 Feb 2021

Bit too soon to say for certain - I'm not sure if I'm ready to like it......

Was going to leave the shop and any trials until after either the update or major upgrade.

deeplink
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2021

I'll be keen! I've havent deep dived into FM and wouldn't mind going head first into this one.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

SebAudio

24 Feb 2021

A lot of people will likely trial the brand new synth ! Except if RS has an intro price on Algo which last for 1 week, I doubt they make any sale during the 1st month ! At the end of the trial month, I’ll see if I buy it and yes it’ll depend if I’d made any song with it !

Billy+

24 Feb 2021

I'm not convinced that any discount is going to be seen for quite a few months.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2021

deeplink wrote:
24 Feb 2021
I'll be keen! I've havent deep dived into FM and wouldn't mind going head first into this one.
Great. :thumbs_up:
I do really like the fact that Algoritm has a randomizer. It's perfect for someone like me who isn't that interested in spending all my time making patches.

Auryn

24 Feb 2021

I'm certainly interested in checking it out, if it's a bit like Zero it might be a cool synth to do a refill for. But I'd have to face off with the randomizer, LOL
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2021

Auryn wrote:
24 Feb 2021
I'm certainly interested in checking it out, if it's a bit like Zero it might be a cool synth to do a refill for. But I'd have to face off with the randomizer, LOL
Yay. Would be great if you joined.

Man I've just started my trial but I already like this synth. It's gonna be harder than I thought to wait for a price drop with this one.

Yep you should totally make a refill for this one.

deeplink
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2021

I understand people being conscious with deals and price drops.

At the same time though, you miss the opportunity to actually use the same thing in your future productions.

I kicked myself for holding out on Complex-1 and Paraec.

Anyway, back to the thread;
After the Wavemaster challenge, I thought it was really challenging and at the same super helpful to make a full track with only the device. I think it's the best way to learn a device. So I'm going to try do the same here
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2021

deeplink wrote:
25 Feb 2021
I understand people being conscious with deals and price drops.

At the same time though, you miss the opportunity to actually use the same thing in your future productions.

I kicked myself for holding out on Complex-1 and Paraec.

Anyway, back to the thread;
After the Wavemaster challenge, I thought it was really challenging and at the same super helpful to make a full track with only the device. I think it's the best way to learn a device. So I'm going to try do the same here
Yes it's always a trade off. Sometimes it's worth spending that extra money just to have it NOW.
But like I said, my plan is to abuse the crap out of Algoritm these 30 days. And hopefully after that I've had my dose of Algoritm and I'll be able to hold off until a better deal comes a long.
I've already started on an Algoritm track :-)

avasopht
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2021

Well, since I've not started my R+ trial, ... looks like I got Algoritm for 2 months ;)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2021

avasopht wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Well, since I've not started my R+ trial, ... looks like I got Algoritm for 2 months ;)
That's a clever idea. I guess that's always an option in case one needs more time to finish a track/project.

But for me I think I'll stick to the 30 days. It'll make me more disciplined and focused. 60 days and I'll just start to wander off and get lazier.

LongFist

25 Feb 2021

So, if we get back to the point, will this challenge appear in the Competitions and Challenges forum area? Or is someone going to slip in the announcement in here somewhere, maybe sometime after the third or fourth page? Inquiring minds (and fortunate R+ users) would like to know. Because even if it's only for bragging rights, it sounds like it would be lots of fun! :clap:
:rebirth: 2.0.1 :recycle: 2.2 :reload: 1.0 :record: 1.0 :reason: 11 Suite :reason:+ ________ :arrow: Love the entire product line!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2021

LongFist wrote:
25 Feb 2021
So, if we get back to the point, will this challenge appear in the Competitions and Challenges forum area? Or is someone going to slip in the announcement in here somewhere, maybe sometime after the third or fourth page? Inquiring minds (and fortunate R+ users) would like to know. Because even if it's only for bragging rights, it sounds like it would be lots of fun! :clap:
You should totally join. :thumbup: It's always more fun working towards a goal/challenge together and sharing it with everyone else.

I think with this thread I wanted to test the waters a bit, to see if there was any interest at all. I've created different Music making/Challenge threads in the past with varied results. With some there's been lots of awesome engagement, while others not so much.

Let's say if 5 or more people decide they are commited to this Algoritm project and CLEARLY state that in this thread it's probably a good idea to move this to the Competitions and Challenges subforum. Otherwise just post your music here. Imo everybody's music here will work as sort of Algoritm demos, so it's still Rack Extension related in a way.
Before whenever someone has posted their music I've updated my initial post so that everyone has an easier time to find everyone's music. For example: TritoneAddiction - Algo Song (page 3).

So are you in? :-)

Popey
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2021

I'm possibly down for this when I get to trial it this weekend. Are there any set rules (eg. Allowed to use drum but all synth parts need to be Algoritm etc and can we use external fx).

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2021

Popey wrote:
26 Feb 2021
I'm possibly down for this when I get to trial it this weekend. Are there any set rules (eg. Allowed to use drum but all synth parts need to be Algoritm etc and can we use external fx).
Awesome :thumbup:
Yes I'm thinking all synth sounds should be coming from Algoritm. Meaning everything thing that YOU subjectively perceive as "synthy". Everything else (drums, samples, recordings, effects) do whatever the hell you want. REs, VSTs, stock devices. Anything goes. Of course if you want to put further self imposed restictions on your project for creative purposes, feel free to do that. The only RULE is to use Algoritm for all synthy sounds.
Limitations can be a great thing for sure. But too much forced limitations can have the opposite effect.

We're only doing this for our selves after all. There's no prizes, except the joy of exploring a new synth, creating music and sharing it with others.

Popey
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Feb 2021
Popey wrote:
26 Feb 2021
Awesome :thumbup:
Yes I'm thinking all synth sounds should be coming from Algoritm. Meaning everything thing that YOU subjectively perceive as "synthy". Everything else (drums, samples, recordings, effects) do whatever the hell you want. REs, VSTs, stock devices. Anything goes. Of course if you want to put further self imposed restictions on your project for creative purposes, feel free to do that. The only RULE is to use Algoritm for all synthy sounds.
Limitations can be a great thing for sure. But too much forced limitations can have the opposite effect.

We're only doing this for our selves after all. There's no prizes, except the joy of exploring a new synth, creating music and sharing it with others.
Cool I'm in. Got live 11 suite earlier this week so be good to start learning algoritm and the new live fx at the same time. 👍

LongFist

26 Feb 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Feb 2021
You should totally join. :thumbup: It's always more fun working towards a goal/challenge together and sharing it with everyone else.

So are you in? :-)
I'm in. I'm most definitely in.

I'll need a little time to get up to speed: I just acquired my new Akai MPK249 [today] and while I love the way it feels, it's a little different in the way it plays with Reason. (I really miss my Korg K49 - it worked fabulously with Reason without having to be dinked around with. It died quietly with no recovery on the afternoon of Tuesday, 08/04/2020 after 15 years of tremendous service.) But it shouldn't take me too long to get back up to speed. I hope.

Perhaps I'm being too overly optimistic. But in the between times I've been playing an Evolution MK-461C, and once you got it to "talk" with Reason, it was pretty straight-forward, if a bit limiting. Things will most assuredly be different, now. And I always learn faster when I have some form of target at which to aim, so this will be beneficial in many different ways. Thanks! :thumbup:
:rebirth: 2.0.1 :recycle: 2.2 :reload: 1.0 :record: 1.0 :reason: 11 Suite :reason:+ ________ :arrow: Love the entire product line!

Popey
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2021

Well it's nearly one in the morning here in the uk but just 4 hours with Algoritm and got the solid basis of a song finished. Just need to start mixing it tomorrow. Set myself a deadline of finishing a track this weekend as just tweaked presets on this one. Never really done much fm synthesis so gives me 3 more weeks to learn and finish a track with solely my patches. Really enjoying Algoritm I have to say.

Popey
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2021

So here is my first track. Drums are all individual samples in ableton drum rack and one other impact sample used. All synth sounds and bass are Algoritm presets (tweaked)and every pad sound is my own tweaked versions of Mattias Valkyrie Chordmaker patch (which truly sounds amazing). I am now going to spend the next 3 weeks trying to understand FM synthesis and create 1 more song with just my own patches.

hope some enjoy :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2021

Popey wrote:
27 Feb 2021
So here is my first track. Drums are all individual samples in ableton drum rack and one other impact sample used. All synth sounds and bass are Algoritm presets (tweaked)and every pad sound is my own tweaked versions of Mattias Valkyrie Chordmaker patch (which truly sounds amazing). I am now going to spend the next 3 weeks trying to understand FM synthesis and create 1 more song with just my own patches.

Nice tune :thumbs_up:
I would probably turn the drums down a bit. Imo they overshadow everything else a little.
Good luck with your FM experiments :-)

Popey
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Mar 2021
Popey wrote:
27 Feb 2021

Nice tune :thumbs_up:
I would probably turn the drums down a bit. Imo they overshadow everything else a little.
Good luck with your FM experiments :-)
Hi TritoneAddiction

Thanks 👍 I created this on headphones due to kids asleep etc and it sounded fine but when I listened back on monitors today the drums and bass totally overpowered everything and it seemed to lack top end to give balance. Even though it was a quick track I think I will go back and address this.

EDIT: updated track and soundcloud file above.
Last edited by Popey on 01 Mar 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Jagwah

01 Mar 2021

Great to see people making music!

@OP Cool idea I personally prefer a normal comp for Algoritm and I hope there is one but if it can make you and other people bust out lots of jams then have at it!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Mar 2021

Jagwah wrote:
01 Mar 2021
Great to see people making music!

@OP Cool idea I personally prefer a normal comp for Algoritm and I hope there is one but if it can make you and other people bust out lots of jams then have at it!
Yes a normal Song Challenge would be great. Unfortunately RS are usually not involved with those too often. It has happened, but I suspect if they wanted a Algoritm Song Challenge they would have started one already.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Mar 2021

Created this short bit using Algoritm. Nothing too complicated.
All sounds are from Algoritm except the sea waves sample which is from the Ambi Nature RE.

• Information