Coloring the sound with ExtremeDynamics

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
orthodox
RE Developer

16 Feb 2021

I just got PluginDoctor and checked the ExtremeDynamics compressor with it to see how it would "color" the sound with harmonics.

In classic compression mode it will introduce a small (-55dB) trail of odd harmonics (that's what almost any compressor does), which can be further reduced by the LPF order switch. (The LPF here is not applied to the audio signal, but to internal gain control stream).

The device has a Saturation module, which is enabled when the Drive knob (saturation amount) set to nonzero. The saturation is applied whenever the gain change indicator deviates from zero (reduction or increase). This is done by warping the amplifier curve and it adds odd harmonics to the signal. The character of the warping can also be changed with the Bias setting.

You can also turn off the dynamics modes and just change the Output gain to have saturation applied without compression. There is actually a slight inconvenience in this approach as you need to compensate for the signal level reduction when you want to apply a strong saturation and it has to be done externally, there is no extra knob for that.

The "response ramp" graphs are exactly those shown on the device's own display, whatever you dial in with the knobs
(Mode, Ratio, Soft Knee, Threshold, Output), so there is no point in showing them here.

orthodox
RE Developer

01 Mar 2021

Just announcing that the RE is on sale in March (50% off):

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -dynamics/

rickrubin

11 Mar 2021

bought the Etch Red filter + Tape Echo last month.. thinking about getting this compressor..... is there any info or tutorial? I cant really find any on youtube. thanks in advance!

orthodox
RE Developer

11 Mar 2021

rickrubin wrote:
11 Mar 2021
bought the Etch Red filter + Tape Echo last month.. thinking about getting this compressor..... is there any info or tutorial? I cant really find any on youtube. thanks in advance!
Nothing except the manual PDF on the product page in "Documents and Specs", unfortunately. I'm not good at tutorials and I have difficulties with English.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them here.

rickrubin

11 Mar 2021

thanks! will buy this and I might do a review/tutorial myself. thanks for the reply!

• Information