Rack Extensions with keyboard tracking parameters?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
DoctoralHermit

11 Feb 2021

One awesome thing about Propellerheads (back when they were around) was that the devices they made basically always had a KBD knob that set the percentage to which the oscillator tracked the midi notes. Are there any RE instruments that do this?

For me, the saddest omission is a KBD knob on Ammo 1200, that absolute beast of a sound machine that could be so much tonally richer with that feature.

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2021

DoctoralHermit wrote:
11 Feb 2021
One awesome thing about Propellerheads (back when they were around) was that the devices they made basically always had a KBD knob that set the percentage to which the oscillator tracked the midi notes. Are there any RE instruments that do this?

For me, the saddest omission is a KBD knob on Ammo 1200, that absolute beast of a sound machine that could be so much tonally richer with that feature.

You can do it with any synth where you can use "note" or "keyboard" or "key" as a source, and filter frequency as destination in a mod matrix

DoctoralHermit

11 Feb 2021

aeox wrote:
11 Feb 2021
DoctoralHermit wrote:
11 Feb 2021

You can do it with any synth where you can use "note" or "keyboard" or "key" as a source, and filter frequency as destination in a mod matrix
Interesting! I'm not sure that this is what I'm asking though... Isn't there a difference between modulating the oscillator frequency according to KBD and adding a filter that is modulated according to KBD?

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2021

DoctoralHermit wrote:
11 Feb 2021
aeox wrote:
11 Feb 2021

Interesting! I'm not sure that this is what I'm asking though... Isn't there a difference between modulating the oscillator frequency according to KBD and adding a filter that is modulated according to KBD?
Yea I read it wrong oops :)

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2021

DoctoralHermit wrote:
11 Feb 2021
aeox wrote:
11 Feb 2021

When I do this in Europa, it sort of does what you're asking. Right?

rcbuse
RE Developer

11 Feb 2021

DoctoralHermit wrote:
11 Feb 2021

Nostromo does this! Image

I also think Antidote does this and calls it keytrk.

Auryn

11 Feb 2021

DoctoralHermit wrote:
11 Feb 2021

An oscillator will generally always default to 100% keyboard tracking. On Europa, you can dial back the KBD>pitch amount on any oscillator if you want to use them for atonal purposes (there's a KBD knob in the osc section), I think most synths allow this. Ammo1200 definitely can be set to keytrack - there a tiny KBD knob in the middle of every oscillator. It's only monophonic though, no polyphony.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2021

Auryn wrote:
11 Feb 2021
DoctoralHermit wrote:
11 Feb 2021

An oscillator will generally always default to 100% keyboard tracking. On Europa, you can dial back the KBD>pitch amount on any oscillator if you want to use them for atonal purposes (there's a KBD knob in the osc section), I think most synths allow this. Ammo1200 definitely can be set to keytrack - there a tiny KBD knob in the middle of every oscillator. It's only monophonic though, no polyphony.
Just to add

If a synth doesn't have a kbd knob by each OSC you can do it with the mod matrix too. Not having that feature takes up our precious mod matrix slots :D

DoctoralHermit

18 Mar 2021

Thank you for your insight! Does anyone know how to do this in the Mod Matrix of Papen's Quad? Having the same problem with Zero Hybrid.
Auryn wrote:
11 Feb 2021
DoctoralHermit wrote:
11 Feb 2021

The Ammo1200 knob seems to only control whether or not the keyboard tracks, and then portamiento. Is there a way to get it to control by what percentage the keyboard tracks?

Auryn

18 Mar 2021

DoctoralHermit wrote:
18 Mar 2021
The Ammo1200 knob seems to only control whether or not the keyboard tracks, and then portamiento. Is there a way to get it to control by what percentage the keyboard tracks?
no, there isn't AFAIK (you could perhaps create a workaround by turning off kbd tracking and using a "last note" out from a thor, but tuning it will be difficult
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

• Information