Complex-1 vs Generate Question

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Chi-Individual

04 Feb 2021

Please forgive me if this is a crazy question but I am not well versed in synthesis. With that said, I understand that Complex-1 and Generate are both based on West Coast synthesis. But I don't fully understand what Complex-1 that Generate can't and vice versa but also what they both can do equally the same. Can someone explain the similarities and differences or am I just completely off with my thinking to begin with?

fieldframe
RE Developer

04 Feb 2021

This is an oversimplification, but West Coast synthesis tends to be built around a combination of waveshaping and lowpass gates, while East Coast synthesis tends to be built around a combination of filters and VCAs. Complex-1 and Generate both primarily use the former, and are thus referred to as West-Coast.

That doesn't mean West Coast synths can't have filters (Complex-1 has one) or that East Coast synths can't have waveshapers (a number of Reason synths do), just that one or the other is emphasized in the architecture and forms the core of its sound generating capabilities.

• Information