Beat Map removed from shop (has always been included with R11)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
DecafDreams

29 Jan 2021

I think the jury's out on all of this so far. The proof will be in the pudding. One thing's for sure, the old guard of Reason users (and third party RE developers) seem to be overwhelmingly against the idea of being shoe-horned into this new business plan. We're just pawns in their game unfortunately.

To get back to BeatMap for a moment, it was an interesting strategy to offer it to Reason 10 users at price whilst simultaneously bundling it for free with a point update to Reason 11. I don't think there was ever any other RE like that and I imagine there probably never will be now...

Billy+

29 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
28 Jan 2021
The future is bright, the future is orange
DecafDreams wrote:
29 Jan 2021
Found this if you're interested in the future: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-im-j ... moted-post
Sorry all, I think you may have misunderstood my intentions with the original post, It was for no other reason than it was nice to put faces to names. James Tim & Niklas are doing an excellent job and I wish them all the best for the future. Please try not quoting me into anything negative as I'm trying to avoid it. Thanks all.

joeyluck

29 Jan 2021

DecafDreams wrote:
29 Jan 2021
I think the jury's out on all of this so far. The proof will be in the pudding. One thing's for sure, the old guard of Reason users (and third party RE developers) seem to be overwhelmingly against the idea of being shoe-horned into this new business plan. We're just pawns in their game unfortunately.

To get back to BeatMap for a moment, it was an interesting strategy to offer it to Reason 10 users at price whilst simultaneously bundling it for free with a point update to Reason 11. I don't think there was ever any other RE like that and I imagine there probably never will be now...
Yeah removing it from the shop is a good move, just like when they removed other REs from the shop that are included in Reason. If it's included in R11 (and subsequently future versions) no need to put a Reason customer through that feeling of buying something they didn't realize was included in a newer version of Reason (no matter how big you make the disclaimer, they will miss it). IMO it should have never been in the shop.

DecafDreams

29 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
29 Jan 2021
DecafDreams wrote:
29 Jan 2021

Yeah removing it from the shop is a good move, just like when they removed other REs from the shop that are included in Reason. If it's included in R11 (and subsequently future versions) no need to put a Reason customer through that feeling of buying something they didn't realize was included in a newer version of Reason (no matter how big you make the disclaimer, they will miss it). IMO it should have never been in the shop.
It was a bizarre strategy in a way. I think the only reason they did it was because of old Mac users. Reason 10 had a minimum requirement of OS X 10.7 but Reason 11 bumped that up to 10.11 which some older Macs couldn't upgrade to. By putting BeatMap in the store it allowed them to still make their latest RE available to older customers that couldn't run Reason 11.

I really hope they remain true to their word and continue to offer generous features to legacy customers and allow perpetual license owners to buy into the latest devices without having to spend a fortune in the process. Let's just hope they don't go too cynical with this new ploy in the long run, as there is that risk. If they stay moderate in their approach it will prove much of the current alarmism that's coming from many within the community to be completely unfounded.

guitfnky

29 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
29 Jan 2021
DecafDreams wrote:
29 Jan 2021

but...not all of them are included in R11, are they? if you have a standard license, you may not have Complex-1, for example, but apparently you can't buy it ala carte from the shop now? you need to subscribe, just to get access to a plugin that is perfectly compatible with the version you're on, and that many other people on the same version of Reason already own?

I mean, I'm not sure if that's the case, because the shop is a mess*, but that's what it looks like, and if it's true, that's a(nother) gaping oversight.

*I did retry the search, and it does look like it's working better today than it was last night, so there's that, at least...
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

joeyluck

29 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
29 Jan 2021
joeyluck wrote:
29 Jan 2021

but...not all of them are included in R11, are they? if you have a standard license, you may not have Complex-1, for example, but apparently you can't buy it ala carte from the shop now? you need to subscribe, just to get access to a plugin that is perfectly compatible with the version you're on, and that many other people on the same version of Reason already own?

I mean, I'm not sure if that's the case, because the shop is a mess*, but that's what it looks like, and if it's true, that's a(nother) gaping oversight.

*I did retry the search, and it does look like it's working better today than it was last night, so there's that, at least...
It's there and available for purchase. I'm confused.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/

guitfnky

29 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
29 Jan 2021
guitfnky wrote:
29 Jan 2021

It's there and available for purchase. I'm confused.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/
wtf, they definitely have different versions of some of the RE pages. I just had it up on my PC and it said “available in Reason+”, and that’s it.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information