[RESOLVED] Reason+ leaves out 3rd party REs and ReFills

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 935
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 28 Jan 2021

I don't think subscribers who lack a Reason license should necessarily be able to buy Rack Extensions that will become useless whenever their subscription lapses.

They should however be able to use the existing RE subscription bundle tiers. It's kind of inexplicable that this isn't an option.
The Iron Law of Reason forums: All topics eventually turn into feature request threads; the only difference is how many posts it takes.

Looking for UI design? DM me for a portfolio.


User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2004
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 28 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Billy+ wrote:
28 Jan 2021
It's official :clap:

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... -the-Shop-

IMG_2459.PNG
Sounds like they are addressing it. That's good.
Joey strange question but are you or another mod "tidying" my posts?

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 8325
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
28 Jan 2021
joeyluck wrote:
28 Jan 2021


Sounds like they are addressing it. That's good.
Joey strange question but are you or another mod "tidying" my posts?
Yes, we clean up spam. Please don't post the exact same thing in every thread. It's against the rules.

And I merged this with the topic already created.

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2004
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 28 Jan 2021

I only ask as I started a new thread with a good title to discuss the issue and I now find it merged into this thread which although suitable kinda don't face the issue full on!

My original title was very clear.
Subscriber can't buy RE's or Refills.

But is now a post viewtopic.php?p=538732#p538732 within this thread.

I find this concerning and some what censorship, I appreciate that mods have a final say and can ultimately do what they see best but seriously, I included the direct link to the source and would have gladly updated the title once it was solved.


User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2004
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 28 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Billy+ wrote:
28 Jan 2021


Joey strange question but are you or another mod "tidying" my posts?
Yes, we clean up spam. Please don't post the exact same thing in every thread. It's against the rules.

And I merged this with the topic already created.
Sorry didn't realise valid points in a discussion was spam even if I was reiterating the point across multiple threads.

Have fun guys & gals.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 8325
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
28 Jan 2021
joeyluck wrote:
28 Jan 2021


Yes, we clean up spam. Please don't post the exact same thing in every thread. It's against the rules.

And I merged this with the topic already created.
Sorry didn't realise valid points in a discussion was spam even if I was reiterating the point across multiple threads.

Have fun guys & gals.
It's ok. But you can ask all of your questions as it pertains to 3rd party REs and ReFills and Reason+ within the same thread. That way the answers to relevant questions for everybody to find are better organized. You had posted the same screenshot in several threads within minutes of each other.

User avatar
Enlightenspeed
RE Developer
Posts: 749
Joined: 03 Jan 2019

Post 28 Jan 2021

An interesting surprise but it makes sense. Dunno how I feel about it tbh.

Chi-Individual
Posts: 58
Joined: 09 Apr 2020

Post 28 Jan 2021

So if I'm understanding this correctly, this only applies to people who "SOLEY" have a Reason+ account correct? Cause I would think if you owned any previous version of Reason that works with RE's then your ability to purchase wouldn't be removed. Am I wrong?

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 8325
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2021

Chi-Individual wrote:
28 Jan 2021
So if I'm understanding this correctly, this only applies to people who "SOLEY" have a Reason+ account correct? Cause I would think if you owned any previous version of Reason that works with RE's then your ability to purchase wouldn't be removed. Am I wrong?
Correct. I imagine it has to do with the way licensing is handled currently. Such as if you owned only Reason 6.5 and logged into the shop to see notices that the REs or ReFills required a later version of Reason and you wouldn't be able to purchase them. I think they just have to iron that out. They acknowledged the issue and said they are working on it.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6919
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Joey loves his job. 😏
He's good at it, does it 100% for free on his own free time, and we're lucky to have him. :thumbup:
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3274
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
28 Jan 2021
guitfnky wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Joey loves his job. 😏
He's good at it, does it 100% for free on his own free time, and we're lucky to have him. :thumbup:
that’s an opinion that exists. 🙃

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6919
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
28 Jan 2021
that’s an opinion that exists. 🙃
Don't be jelly! 🙃 :puf_bigsmile:
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

DaveyG
Posts: 813
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 29 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Joey loves his job. 😏
I tried to put him on ignore. Doesn't work with mods.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
buddard
RE Developer
Posts: 955
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stockholm

Post 29 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Chi-Individual wrote:
28 Jan 2021
So if I'm understanding this correctly, this only applies to people who "SOLEY" have a Reason+ account correct? Cause I would think if you owned any previous version of Reason that works with RE's then your ability to purchase wouldn't be removed. Am I wrong?
Correct. I imagine it has to do with the way licensing is handled currently. Such as if you owned only Reason 6.5 and logged into the shop to see notices that the REs or ReFills required a later version of Reason and you wouldn't be able to purchase them. I think they just have to iron that out. They acknowledged the issue and said they are working on it.
Yay.
But doesn't this seem like a pretty big thing to omit before the big launch?

User avatar
rcbuse
RE Developer
Posts: 941
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: SR388

Post 29 Jan 2021

My brow could not be more furrowed.

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 8810
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 29 Jan 2021

rcbuse wrote:
29 Jan 2021
My brow could not be more furrowed.
From my POV it makes totally sense, that if you have only a subscription, that you cannot BUY something, that you cannot use anymore if you dont have a SUBSCRIPTION anymore.

But i get the point, that all those new customers are left out of the 3rd party RE platform. If i need to make a few guesses:
* Every NEW CUSTOMER (and tbh, for existing users R+ doesnt offer that much) will play around a while, need to learn ~70 devices and than will switch to some buying
* A new on-top subscription will be added for RE, ReFills (if they still exist), maybe in price, vendor or number packages
* A stacked full subscription will be available, which contains €1000, €2000, €5000 and unlimited worth of RE

I also speculate, that the often discussed thing about collaboration with ppl (and yourself after leaving a subscription) and missing RE will be addressed somehow, maybe with a locked RE version, where you cannot change anything - like a player thing.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 8325
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 29 Jan 2021

buddard wrote:
29 Jan 2021
joeyluck wrote:
28 Jan 2021


Correct. I imagine it has to do with the way licensing is handled currently. Such as if you owned only Reason 6.5 and logged into the shop to see notices that the REs or ReFills required a later version of Reason and you wouldn't be able to purchase them. I think they just have to iron that out. They acknowledged the issue and said they are working on it.
Yay.
But doesn't this seem like a pretty big thing to omit before the big launch?
This was just my guess. I'm not sure the reason.

User avatar
buddard
RE Developer
Posts: 955
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stockholm

Post 29 Jan 2021

fieldframe wrote:
28 Jan 2021
.
They should however be able to use the existing RE subscription bundle tiers. It's kind of inexplicable that this isn't an option.
What existing RE subscription tiers? They seem to have removed all traces of RE subscriptions from the “Add-on Shop” now... perhaps it’s visible to those who still are running subscriptions, but I don’t see anything of that anymore.

So yes, all 3rd parties are currently completely locked out from the new service. :thumbs_down:

They gave us a several months heads up when VST support was coming, and that didn’t have nearly the same impact to our business as this.
This time we found out at the same time as our customers.

But I get it, why settle for 30% when they can get 100%, right?

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 2684
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 29 Jan 2021

buddard wrote:
29 Jan 2021
fieldframe wrote:
28 Jan 2021
.
They should however be able to use the existing RE subscription bundle tiers. It's kind of inexplicable that this isn't an option.
What existing RE subscription tiers? They seem to have removed all traces of RE subscriptions from the “Add-on Shop” now... perhaps it’s visible to those who still are running subscriptions, but I don’t see anything of that anymore.

So yes, all 3rd parties are currently completely locked out from the new service. :thumbs_down:

They gave us a several months heads up when VST support was coming, and that didn’t have nearly the same impact to our business as this.
This time we found out at the same time as our customers.

But I get it, why settle for 30% when they can get 100%, right?
I’m sure this will be ironed out in the near future. It’s not the first time a release happened that wasn’t fully fleshed out. The launch of RE’s from the start is an example of this with an SDK that was so limited that big developers didn’t bother with it. In comparison I think this a considerably easier thing to sort out. I think it’s actually been acknowledged as a bug in a thread here.

They likely removed the RE subscription, at least for now, to avoid confusion. If this release proved anything, it’s that people don’t read things thoroughly, with amount of people who still don’t realize R+ is optional and not the only way forward. Rent to own is still an option. I don’t think any new users that come over for the subscription are going to be looking for REs immediately for obvious reasons, but any company with smarts will find a way to upsell, and there’s a shop full of things to do it with. The super fans that check the shop everyday for new stuff will still continue to do so.

I’d go on a limb and say though that the RE subscription model wasn’t really that attractive an option and adding VST support pretty much killed what was left of the RE hype for the most part. Perhaps I’m wrong and developers were still getting a good number of new subscriptions? I doubt any current ones were cancelled. If they simply add the shop to companion (I’m sure they will at some point), it’ll address the problem. Perhaps they’ll add a 3rd party add on to R+ but I can’t imagine developers making much off it if they did for it to be worth it. It would be way too expensive to create a subscribe to all 3rd party RE service.

Yonatan
Posts: 1312
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 29 Jan 2021

There is still subscription of 3rd party but you only have it as an option if you are on a RE device page "subscribe", and when choosing that on one device, you will see the "subscribe meter" on front. So, in other words, if you already know about it and want it, you can get it, but I see no page or promotion or any tab elsewhere. So it is a bit hidden, and maybe that is the same reason that "shop" is (temporarily?) at the bottom of the page.
I think the main thing with this launch is the lack of a clear communication, both towards developers of RE:s and also towards the user base.

There are a whole lot of questions that needs to be adressed, and I get a "sense" that RS are not even sure themselves where and what is what. So they seem to have set themself in a pressure mode where they suddenly will have to decide while they go. Not the best situation for none, but some in the company have obviously decided to launch this in beta-stage no matter if it is ready or not. The need for extra revenue seems to be urgent enough to put a whole lot of trust aside and risk creating a bad vibe or at least confusion.

As I would love to keep using Reason and want to see it develop and live on as well as 3rd party developers to prosper by the process, I hope things will sort itself out gradually. This release has stirred up a lot of anxiety and stress and I am sure the company will also find it a backlash.
But may it be healed and trust restored. And the shop be restored to better position, and 3rd part devs and all dedicated users, get to see a light in this dark tunnel again.

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 2684
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 29 Jan 2021

Yonatan wrote:
29 Jan 2021
There is still subscription of 3rd party but you only have it as an option if you are on a RE device page "subscribe", and when choosing that on one device, you will see the "subscribe meter" on front.
I stand corrected. I and must went to a RE page that wasn’t available for subscription when I checked. Probably because it was Autotune. Just checked a different RE and indeed ‘Subscribe’ is there. Just not on the main page. Likely as I mentioned to avoid confusion.

Yonatan
Posts: 1312
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 29 Jan 2021

QVprod wrote:
29 Jan 2021
Yonatan wrote:
29 Jan 2021
There is still subscription of 3rd party but you only have it as an option if you are on a RE device page "subscribe", and when choosing that on one device, you will see the "subscribe meter" on front.
I stand corrected. I and must went to a RE page that wasn’t available for subscription when I checked. Probably because it was Autotune. Just checked a different RE and indeed ‘Subscribe’ is there. Just not on the main page. Likely as I mentioned to avoid confusion.
I really hope that it wont go away though. But maybe it might be through the app in some way. I think it is great to be able to try out RE:s now and then even for those of us who still want to have a license of Reason. Subscription to RE makes it clearer which ones to later buy as it gets to good use. I suppose it is not a super good deal for the developers, but the RE one really likes, is surely to end up to be bought sooner or later, so I think it is of value in that way. Regarding buying Reason license, I would like it to have a rent-to-own payment plan as an alternative to Reason+. It is ok to have a €20/month where end of subscription leaves with no license, especially when one is free to take a month now and then. But when it comes to annual or longer subscription, it could well include more benefits and some kind of keeping latest version, so more ppl can buy RE:s.


  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests