Trial licenses and not restarting Reason

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 6281
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 26 Jan 2021

I know there’s an 30 day trial on REs After the 30 days are up the trial expires. What would happen though if you downloaded trials for every RE in the shop that you wanted, logged in with Reason and then just left Reason open and your computer logged on until the cows came home (that means a long time for those who don’t know)? Free REs forever or at least until there’s a power cut?
You wouldn’t be able to trial any new REs of course because then you’d have to restart Reason.
Just wondering. Hypothetically. You know. :)
丰2ॐ

DaveyG
Posts: 817
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 26 Jan 2021

I would have replied sooner but I was rendered helpless with laughter at the thought of a Windows PC lasting more than a few days without needing a reboot.

But your idea is a good one. I'm sure I would be way more productive if I had 30 versions of every type of effect and 200 synths to choose from.

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 2891
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Location: mars soon

Post 26 Jan 2021

DaveyG wrote:
26 Jan 2021
I would have replied sooner but I was rendered helpless with laughter at the thought of a Windows PC lasting more than a few days without needing a reboot.

But your idea is a good one. I'm sure I would be way more productive if I had 30 versions of every type of effect and 200 synths to choose from.
I ran my last PC for over 6 months without a restart and I had no issues :D

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2004
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 26 Jan 2021

aeox wrote:
26 Jan 2021
DaveyG wrote:
26 Jan 2021
I would have replied sooner but I was rendered helpless with laughter at the thought of a Windows PC lasting more than a few days without needing a reboot.

But your idea is a good one. I'm sure I would be way more productive if I had 30 versions of every type of effect and 200 synths to choose from.
I ran my last PC for over 6 months without a restart and I had no issues :D
Was it running Linux ;)

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3282
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 26 Jan 2021

the only time I’ve had to restart my PC is to install new software. the whole *Windows is unstable* thing is years outdated.

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 2505
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 26 Jan 2021

This would also work by putting the computer into hibernation or sleep mode between uses. But, yes, you could essentially use those REs for free until you have to restart Reason. I've done this a time or two to get a few extra days out of an RE after the trial runs out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
Noise
Posts: 318
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Lisbon

Post 26 Jan 2021

I've been there, it was in a reason talk challenge, I remember the device just stopped working at midnight.

ab459
Posts: 275
Joined: 28 Dec 2018
Location: Minsk Belarus

Post 26 Jan 2021

Damn need more careful with topic title heh

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 2505
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 26 Jan 2021

Noise wrote:
26 Jan 2021
I've been there, it was in a reason talk challenge, I remember the device just stopped working at midnight.
I can't tell... are you joking? If not, it's strange that a device would just stop working while Reason is running. That has never been my experience with an expired RE. They should only stop working when you restart Reason after they have expired. You could, in theory, use expired REs forever if you never had to restart Reason.
ab459 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Damn need more careful with topic title heh
Yeah, that's kind of a click bait title, isn't it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 2891
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Location: mars soon

Post 26 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Jan 2021
aeox wrote:
26 Jan 2021


I ran my last PC for over 6 months without a restart and I had no issues :D
Was it running Linux ;)
Windows 10. If I could run Reason on linux I'd love to!

User avatar
Noise
Posts: 318
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Lisbon

Post 26 Jan 2021

challism wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Noise wrote:
26 Jan 2021
I've been there, it was in a reason talk challenge, I remember the device just stopped working at midnight.
I can't tell... are you joking? If not, it's strange that a device would just stop working while Reason is running. That has never been my experience with an expired RE. They should only stop working when you restart Reason after they have expired. You could, in theory, use expired REs forever if you never had to restart Reason.
ab459 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Damn need more careful with topic title heh
Yeah, that's kind of a click bait title, isn't it?
Well, won't put my hands in the fire for my statement, but if I recall correctly, the audio output just went dead and I assumed it has something to do with the expiration date.
I could try it again for science, don't have any expiring extensions, maybe I just can try the softube tube-tech for ever :D
If you check your code meter events, it's loggin second by second, would be a very efficient CodeMetering if it was checking for expired Re's.
But if your experience was different, I take that for valid too.

User avatar
Gardinski
Posts: 206
Joined: 04 Feb 2015

Post 27 Jan 2021

I've definitely done this in the past. Not for any nefarious reason, really, but purely because I'm a bugger for starting a trial and then FORGETTING ALL ABOUT IT, so I end up not actually testing the RE out properly until the very last hour of a 30 day trial. Then it's a case of thinking "Ah, damnit. I'm going to have to resort to being sneaky."

From memory, I've been able to keep things running for 4 or 5 days beyond the deadline (by constantly putting the laptop to 'sleep' rather than shutting down), before eventually growing bored or needing to reboot for some other reason. Might have gone just over a week in one case, early on when cash was tight. Never had the experience of them cutting out at midnight. Whether it's possible to push beyond that handful of days is anyone's guess. Maybe you can be the brave explorer who puts it to the test, Mr Figg. (I'm picturing you as a sort of Robinson Crusoe figure, huddled over a steaming PC, ticking off the days on your cabin wall. "Day 278: no fresh water, but Friktion still going strong!")

In my defense, I invariably ended up buying the REs in question after I'd 'extended' the trial in this way... but there is a certain devilish thrill about bending the rules for that extra few illicit hours. "Made it, ma! Top of the world!"


User avatar
full-of-life
Posts: 52
Joined: 13 Oct 2017

Post 27 Jan 2021

you may also use a disposable email address/use your PC's hardware to mine crypto?

User avatar
Carly(Poohbear)
Posts: 2721
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Location: UK

Post 11 Feb 2021

Yes that would work, I have had many trials go way over as I usually only restart my machine once a month for updates, and Reason runs more or less 24 hours a day, yes I use sleep mode on my PC.
I don't do this as I want to keep trial RE's going on for longer, it's just my workflow, I do restart Reason a lot when I'm beta testing.....

Hmm, You could create a virtual machine and install Reason on that, I believe when they are in sleep mode everything is written to disk so you could still reboot your main machine etc.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 6281
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 11 Feb 2021

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
11 Feb 2021


Hmm, You could create a virtual machine and install Reason on that, I believe when they are in sleep mode everything is written to disk so you could still reboot your main machine etc.
So...create a new Propellerheads account and register a free Reason 11 Lite license. Then Create a virtual Machine and download every single RE in the Shop on trial. Instant R+Plus
丰2ॐ

User avatar
moneykube
Posts: 2711
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 11 Feb 2021

:clap: :thumbs_up: interesting thread :re: :exclamation:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals -

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 3 guests