Noise engineering will do more rack extensions, but are doing AAX and vst/AU first...

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Loque

24 Jan 2021

Good news so far, even for RE. BUt man, those UIs for the AAX things are so freaking ugly...
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

24 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
24 Jan 2021
Good news so far, even for RE. BUt man, those UIs for the AAX things are so freaking ugly...
Hope the vst and Rack extensions will have better UI 😂

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2021

DESMODUS RE?

joeyluck

24 Jan 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Jan 2021
Loque wrote:
24 Jan 2021
I wish the current REs were different. I would like for them to be smaller and less chaotic looking. And while the backdrops and layouts are certainly unique, the knobs are very well known as some of the first free assets made available to RE developers. Whenever I see those knobs, I feel like a RE wasn't given much love. It can't be too hard to at least make some original knobs :)

joeyluck

24 Jan 2021

Not to mention with the long Latin names they are given lol, I can't tell you what I own and what I'm using without first opening Reason, loading a few or all of them, and then figuring out which one does what. That's gotta hurt marketing as well...

16161d

24 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
24 Jan 2021
Not to mention with the long Latin names they are given lol, I can't tell you what I own and what I'm using without first opening Reason, loading a few or all of them, and then figuring out which one does what. That's gotta hurt marketing as well...
I mean, it's very on brand for them and a lot of modular stuff... the controls may as well be written in latin too! I guess it does enable a sort of playfulness, but you're right it doesn't translate too well to the plugin world where we have different expectations of UI.

ab459

24 Jan 2021

aeox wrote:
24 Jan 2021
DESMODUS RE?
Would be good.

PhillipOrdonez

24 Jan 2021

aeox wrote:
24 Jan 2021
DESMODUS RE?
Please.

BRIGGS

24 Jan 2021

This seems like a good opportunity for them to hire a good graphic artist.
r11s

fieldframe
RE Developer

24 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
24 Jan 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Jan 2021

I wish the current REs were different. I would like for them to be smaller and less chaotic looking. And while the backdrops and layouts are certainly unique, the knobs are very well known as some of the first free assets made available to RE developers. Whenever I see those knobs, I feel like a RE wasn't given much love. It can't be too hard to at least make some original knobs :)
Ah yes, knob_32. The Times New Roman of RE knobs.

Creating new knobs is unfortunately not a straightforward process at all, though. Unless you're making a 2D-style knob (which I would argue isn't in the spirit of the rack unless it's supposed to be on a "screen") you need to not only model it in a 3D package of your choice, but also set up lighting and materials, set up a background material that can receive shadows but render with alpha channel, animate the knob through all its positions, render the animation to an image sequence, and then assemble those images into a filmstrip via scripting or some other utility.

It's the kind of thing Reason Studios could have built some tools to help with (and were on the path toward with the old 3D workflow), but for whatever reason decided not to invest in. And so, everyone just uses knob_32.

antic604

25 Jan 2021

Well, this is not so great:
Even better, if you buy an AAX license now, you’ll get VST/AU licenses for free as soon as they launch.
Which means it doesn't include REs into free crossgrade :(

I always wondered why that is (not just witn NE stuff)? You often get VST, AU & AAX in one package, which RE is separate. I think only Synapse Audio treats them as one and the same.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

• Information