PX7 - Removed from Shop?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
19 Jan 2021
Sorry for not commenting on this sooner! We're super busy after the holidays and things moved quickly here.

PX7 was actually not developed in-house, similar to the A-List series, and we decided to discontinue it for licensing reasons. It'll continue to work for all of you that's bought it, of course. REs are designed to work forever for all owners, regardless of what happens with the product and developer. One of the very best features of the format, in my opinion! :)

To save you any speculations, other REs we've developed with a partner (like the amazing Robotic Bean and Lectric Panda) have different terms and there's no reason they'll ever be discontinued.

If you missed it but still want a DX7 sound, I can recommend the free, Open Source Dexed VST: https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/
Dont really know the ins and outs but it would have been cool if there’d been some sort of heads up like with the A-List stuff. Sure a lot of people would have jumped at it. As I said though I don’t know the ins and outs so maybe that wasn’t possible. Thanks for stopping the need for speculation.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

19 Jan 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
19 Jan 2021
Sorry for not commenting on this sooner! We're super busy after the holidays and things moved quickly here.

PX7 was actually not developed in-house, similar to the A-List series, and we decided to discontinue it for licensing reasons. It'll continue to work for all of you that's bought it, of course. REs are designed to work forever for all owners, regardless of what happens with the product and developer. One of the very best features of the format, in my opinion! :)

To save you any speculations, other REs we've developed with a partner (like the amazing Robotic Bean and Lectric Panda) have different terms and there's no reason they'll ever be discontinued.

If you missed it but still want a DX7 sound, I can recommend the free, Open Source Dexed VST: https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/
Will you keep the converter online still? Or maybe release it as a standalone app?

RoryM0

19 Jan 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
19 Jan 2021

Oh man that's a shame for those that didn't have this yet, PX7 is an excellent FM synth and a quality rack addition imo. I hope you guys will consider replacing it with a new RS developed FM synth. I know there are others available, and I have most of them, but RS I'm sure would put that quirky Reason spin on things that only they know how.

PhillipOrdonez

19 Jan 2021

I would have bought it given the heads up. 😭

ksniod

19 Jan 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Jan 2021
I might have too, I don't understand why they didn't warn and/or inform

Loque

19 Jan 2021

ksniod wrote:
19 Jan 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Jan 2021
Its not like, it appeared in the shop just 1 week ago :-)
Reason12, Win10

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

19 Jan 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
19 Jan 2021
Oh man that's a shame for those that didn't have this yet, PX7 is an excellent FM synth and a quality rack addition imo. I hope you guys will consider replacing it with a new RS developed FM synth. I know there are others available, and I have most of them, but RS I'm sure would put that quirky Reason spin on things that only they know how.
The thought has occurred to me :ugeek:

ksniod

19 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
19 Jan 2021
ksniod wrote:
19 Jan 2021

Its not like, it appeared in the shop just 1 week ago :-)
1. I'm not like checking the shop everyday
2. A lot of people here were anticipating a reappearance either in the shop or in a potential new version of Suite
:)

rcbuse
RE Developer

19 Jan 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
19 Jan 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
19 Jan 2021
There it is :o :o

Loque

19 Jan 2021

rcbuse wrote:
19 Jan 2021
MattiasHG wrote:
19 Jan 2021

I hope that too, something like FM8.

Zero is quite a big monster, but lacks a few easy to implement features. Still hope, that something will be improved in Zero too, but something like FM8 would be great for sure.
Reason12, Win10

RoryM0

19 Jan 2021

rcbuse wrote:
19 Jan 2021
MattiasHG wrote:
19 Jan 2021

Whoomp

EnochLight

19 Jan 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
19 Jan 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
19 Jan 2021
That's good to hear - I say go for it! ;) If you're open to suggestions, please: 1. still allow the actual RS version to open old DX7 presets or make sure an online converter is available, 2. add some on-board effects (even if they're "stock" like Grain and Europa) - because seriously that sort of thing truly steps up any/all synths. 3. I hate to be the one to say this, but the GUI/UX of PX7 doesn't look that pretty, IMHO. So pleaaaaaaaase consider a more modern/cool GUI/UX to an actual RS-brand FM synth. :mrgreen: :puf_bigsmile:

XOXOXO
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

19 Jan 2021

I don't agree with the UI statement, it's the best looking DX emulator out there, the worst looking one is the real devices.....

bxbrkrz

19 Jan 2021

757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

dasmode

19 Jan 2021

Last edited by dasmode on 21 Jan 2021, edited 5 times in total.

RobBarnett

19 Jan 2021

:(
    ksniod wrote:
    19 Jan 2021
    PhillipOrdonez wrote:
    19 Jan 2021
    I was just about to buy it using reward points. Shame there was no communication/notification like there was with the A list Guitar REs and Line 6 amps

MrFigg
    Competition Winner

19 Jan 2021

I’m glad it’s gone. I’ve been looking at it every time it’s gone on sale for the past 8 years. Now I don’t need to think about it any more.
    Thanks RS.
    🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

19 Jan 2021

Have you noticed how the real explanation is always way less interesting than our wild speculation.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Anyhow, look out for RX7 in the shop soon (where "soon" is in RS time so could be any number of years really).

madmacman

19 Jan 2021

DaveyG wrote:
    19 Jan 2021
    Anyhow, look out for RX7 in the shop soon (where "soon" is in RS time so could be any number of years really).
    Reason Studios 40th anniversary gift bag :P

hurricane
    Competition Winner

19 Jan 2021

Interesting to see that a lot of you would have purchased PX7 had you known it was going to go away. Scarcity sales tactic doing it's magic. You guys had YEARS to buy it, yet you didn't.

Some of us fans of the DX-7 and FM synthesis purchased PX-7 a long time ago. But I think it wasn't "propellerheady" enough for some of you. I mean if you look at it now, it's basically Dexed in RE format with zero bells and whistles. So going forward if they chose to make their own FM synth, I really hope they go for the jugular and set off on creating a monster and modern FM synth, not limiting it to being a bare bones DX-7 emulation, but still retaining the authentic DX sound. I'm thinking more along the lines of FM8 than say, Arturia's DX or Waves' Flow Motion (I don't particularly like Flow Motion).

Apart from whatever 'modern' things they'd like to implement, I'd love for them to include some classic things like the ability to layer patches within the RE ala the DX7II as well as being able to load/import waveforms for a wider sound palette. I'd also love for them to not be bound by the structure of retro FM synths and include ADSR envelopes and a master filter section. The cherry on top would be an onboard (so we can save it with the patch) Juno-like chorus because a good chorus makes DX sounds shine. A Unison mode would also be welcome, with a stereo spread of course. A simple arpeggiator and step sequencer would be cool too. It would be nice to be able to create and save some slick 80s sequences in a patch. Kind of like the step sequencer in Obsession.

What I absolutely do not want is one of those basic A/B romplers currently vomiting out of NI's mouth.
    Soundcloud | Youtube
    Logic Pro | Bitwig

EnochLight

19 Jan 2021

hurricane wrote:
    19 Jan 2021
    I mean if you look at [PX7] now, it's basically Dexed in RE format with zero bells and whistles. So going forward if they chose to make their own FM synth, I really hope they go for the jugular and set off on creating a monster and modern FM synth, not limiting it to being a bare bones DX-7 emulation, but still retaining the authentic DX sound. I'm thinking more along the lines of FM8 than say, Arturia's DX or Waves' Flow Motion (I don't particularly like Flow Motion).

Apart from whatever 'modern' things they'd like to implement, I'd love for them to include some classic things like the ability to layer patches within the RE ala the DX7II as well as being able to load/import waveforms for a wider sound palette. I'd also love for them to not be bound by the structure of retro FM synths and include ADSR envelopes and a master filter section. The cherry on top would be an onboard (so we can save it with the patch) Juno-like chorus because a good chorus makes DX sounds shine. A Unison mode would also be welcome, with a stereo spread of course. A simple arpeggiator and step sequencer would be cool too. It would be nice to be able to create and save some slick 80s sequences in a patch. Kind of like the step sequencer in Obsession.

What I absolutely do not want is one of those basic A/B romplers currently vomiting out of NI's mouth.
    ^^ THIS x 1000 ^^
    Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MrFigg
    Competition Winner

19 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
    19 Jan 2021
    hurricane wrote:
    19 Jan 2021
    I mean if you look at [PX7] now, it's basically Dexed in RE format with zero bells and whistles. So going forward if they chose to make their own FM synth, I really hope they go for the jugular and set off on creating a monster and modern FM synth, not limiting it to being a bare bones DX-7 emulation, but still retaining the authentic DX sound. I'm thinking more along the lines of FM8 than say, Arturia's DX or Waves' Flow Motion (I don't particularly like Flow Motion).

^^ THIS x 1000 ^^
    Yeah Enoch. Now PX7 is a d**d pr****t too. :) More on the pile hahaha :).
    🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

19 Jan 2021

MrFigg wrote:
    19 Jan 2021
    Dead president? Deed present? Dizzied protest? :lol:

MrFigg
    Competition Winner

19 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
    19 Jan 2021
    MrFigg wrote:
    19 Jan 2021
    Dead president? Deed present? Dizzied protest? :lol:
    All of the above :)
    🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

arnigretar

19 Jan 2021

I purchased it on the day of it's release. I think it's a brilliant FM synth and the feature of importing old DX sounds into it is wonderful. Also the programming is great! Have owned 3 DX7 myself and worked a lot on them, this synth is wonderful to have in the rack. I have tried Dexed (or have it on one of my computers), but it's not as great as this. I also own FM7 - the old one - and that itself has great presets to jam with, but the PX7 gui is my go to. Hopefully to future DX7 nerds, like myself, I hope they are just doing some "maintence" work on it. Or switching the name to "RX7".
    https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

• Information