Softube RE shop page owner/manager dead?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 430
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 02 Jan 2021

still selling the $200 reverb, $200 compressor, $200 channel eq and a $350 channel strip, never a discount of any kind. I contacted their company through the main website and they told me that the RE Sales are done by a separate company and that they would contact them to find out what's going on. That was over a month ago and nothing happened.

While I recognize that their REs are of a particularly high quality, I have to wonder if the sales numbers reflect the ingenuity of such a pricing policy, that with all the competitors and their own VST versions of the same REs.

I'm a massive scrooge, but some of the softube REs are the few things in the RE shop that I actually want, just not at the current ridiculous price point. Perhaps I'm not the only one?
Reason initiate

User avatar
Billy
Posts: 815
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 02 Jan 2021

Actually the FET comp was on sale awhile back for £99 but that's about the only thing/time I have seen any discount on softube RE's and I'm fairly certain that you could buy all of them as vst's for a whole lot less.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2763
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 02 Jan 2021

Here it's even more expensive. €399 for the Tube Tech. €229 for the reverb, Trident and FET.
And €99 FOR A SPRING REVERB :shock: . Yeah I think I'll pass on that one. I tried it a long time ago just to see if the price was in any way justified. It wasn't.
Also their delay, it's alright. I trialed it at one point, but honestly the Reasons "Echo" sounded just as good imo.

I do however really like their TSAR reverb. It's awesome on real instruments. I bought it years ago. It was still way too expensive, but at least I've used it quite a bit over the years.
Saturation knob is pretty cool too. And that's free.

Overall Softube has pretty great stuff, but as you say their RE pricing is a bit whack.

User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 430
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 02 Jan 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 Jan 2021
€399 for the Tube Tech.
:shock: :-o so they value the channel strip higher than the DAW itself?
Reason initiate

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 7677
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 02 Jan 2021

Lol they sound so detached from the Reason world and its customers. What the support person means by "RE Sales are done by a separate company" is of course Reason Studios. They're literally telling you something you already know and have better knowledge of than them. It is all probably very foreign to that support person you interacted with.

It reminds me of some of my exchanges in the past with them, Sugar Bytes, iZotope, etc. They have no clue. For them the RE shop is a set it and forget it model. They don't market the REs and they don't have someone within the company managing it. I remember when Softube said it would be too much work to add a small knob to the folded view of Saturation Knob lol.

It's funny that in the larger VST/AU market, they offer the Tube Tech as a bundle and as separate purchases for each plugin. But within the smaller Reason world, they instead slapped it all together into a ridiculous monolith device for one expensive price, knowing the smaller market would've likely bought more of the individual plugins. We don't have plugin windows within the Rack, so being able to only load the devices we need makes even more sense in Reason than any other DAW. So what they did with Tube Tech made absolutely no sense.

Also, most every device of theirs is devoid of CV connectivity. They simply do not get it. I don't know why Reason Studios chose them as a partner to make the Line 6 replacements. Too bad RS hadn't partnered with some of the homegrown RE makers sooner, because that would've been better. I don't know why RS seems to choose to partner with people who are so detached from Reason...Soundiron being another. Humana is the best it will be, without legato...legato is possible, but who cares...it's Reason and they got paid lol. That said I hope the partnerships as they have been recently continue and they don't look to outsiders anymore.

I would just look at alternatives. Instead of the Tube Tech, get the Kuassa MP5 or the Blamsoft EQ pack and pair that with an opto compressor of your choice. Tube Tech is certainly not worth the money.

User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 430
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 02 Jan 2021

Thanks for the tip (once again).
Reason initiate

Soeno
Posts: 251
Joined: 09 Dec 2017

Post 02 Jan 2021

You'll find the FET Compressor, TSAR-1R Reverb & Valley People Dyna-Mite in the Mix & Mastering Rig 4.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bund ... ing-rig-4/

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 8367
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 03 Jan 2021

Forget Softube. They sell overpriced and outdated stuff and have crap support. The RE have bugs which will never get fixed (i have also payed VSTs from several companies which bugs never never will be fixed, but this is another story).

The only really good thing is FET, but it's not worth the called price.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 430
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 03 Jan 2021

Soeno wrote:
02 Jan 2021
You'll find the FET Compressor, TSAR-1R Reverb & Valley People Dyna-Mite in the Mix & Mastering Rig 4.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bund ... ing-rig-4/
thanks for the tip! Going through it, I noticed there's a lot of synapse stuff, which is a bummer, because the ONLY purchase I've made in the reason shop was the synapse package on sale.

I used the VST version of the Softube's CL1B for vocals and I really liked the results, so that's what I wanted first and foremost, FET would've been secondary (quartiary?)
Loque wrote:
03 Jan 2021
F Softube.
What I still want are 4 items
1) a CL1B-like opto comp for vocals
2) fairchild-like tube comp for backing vocals
3) de-esser
4) FET


1) Browsing around the shop and forum I only found one octo option - and that was a setting for the Red Rock's C1-L1 - is that correct? There's also some archived Cakewalk RE that is no longer available? :(( So, there is no other option?

2) Red Rock's C1L1 also happens to be the tube fairchild comp when used at different settings, which is great and versatile on the one hand, but makes the whole thing a bit too complicated to control. The McDsp C670, on the other hand, is the simplified interface I would like to have. I'd rather 2 simple versions of 2 comps than a swiss knife. But they don't have an opto comp harr harr

3) there's only one deEsser in the shop, so that's a simple choice

4) absolutely no clue as to the FET alternatives, but I only liked it on drums, so this can wait the longest

So the real question - are there any Reason Shop options for an optical compressor that I have missed?
Reason initiate

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 8367
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 03 Jan 2021

Don't pay for Red Rock, than you can get Molot VST for free or better pay for Tokydawn succesor of Molot.

Maybe checkout the Fabfilter C.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 430
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 03 Jan 2021

Thanks! So there's no RE-format optical compressor, right?
Reason initiate

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 8367
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 03 Jan 2021

Dunno. I never bought a compressor because it emulates a optical, which means pretty much nothing in a digital world imo. There was the RE2A, but it's not available anymore and it was free on the end.

AFAIK Fabfilter has a optical emulation. It seems expensive, but can save you a lot of time and money in the future.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5948
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 03 Jan 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
03 Jan 2021
Thanks! So there's no RE-format optical compressor, right?
This one does three types. VCA, FET and Opto.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ompressor/
丰2ॐ

tanni
Posts: 135
Joined: 19 Jul 2015

Post 03 Jan 2021

a few years ago I had a talk with the softube guy, who are responsable for the RE on the frankfurter music mess.
He told me, that the market are very small in the Reason world for their products. So I think, that RE dont get updates any more. Nowadays Softube isnt the only solution for well emulated plugins. The market is full and you dont need tons of compressors and EQs.

My personal opinion to the softube RE is:
TSAR = very good, clean in the mix algo-Reverb, excellent for real sounds like Orchestra things, voices and drums (short rooms) of course. Not so good on synths or for the big Bladerunner sound.
FET compressor = very good compressor and handling, one of the best FET plugins I used.
TubeTech stuff = the vst got an update, which the RE will never get (they dont update any more RE I think). In my opinion this RE is much overpriced for what its offer today. Go for other stuff in that case.
Trident EQ = same here, much overpriced
Tube delay and Spring Reverb = good sound, but expensive and not so much features.
Saturation Knob = good sound and hey, its free.

seqoi
Posts: 411
Joined: 12 Aug 2017

Post 03 Jan 2021

Stop hating them for the reasons unknown to the public. You all can guess why this or that.

On top of that they run sales of their VST models which are updated on regular basis.

Make some music.

User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 430
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 03 Jan 2021

seqoi wrote:
03 Jan 2021
Stop hating them for the reasons unknown to the public. You all can guess why this or that.

On top of that they run sales of their VST models which are updated on regular basis.

Make some music.
nobody's hating. Nobody said they were bad, just rigid in the RE pricing department.
Reason initiate

User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 430
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 03 Jan 2021

MrFigg wrote:
03 Jan 2021
This one does three types. VCA, FET and Opto.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ompressor/
Thanks, missed this one completely, I'll give it a go! :thumbs_up:
Reason initiate

WarStar
Posts: 139
Joined: 17 Oct 2018

Post 03 Jan 2021

Yeah they were the first to bring that VST esque REs to the shop but maybe it was only the price that made it look like it would be of some quality... I did get the FET yrs ago for $49 which I don't regret cuz it's a great comp.. but everything else is a hard pass especially now since there's even better quality vst's for 1/4 of the price lol

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 7677
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 03 Jan 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
03 Jan 2021
seqoi wrote:
03 Jan 2021
Stop hating them for the reasons unknown to the public. You all can guess why this or that.

On top of that they run sales of their VST models which are updated on regular basis.

Make some music.
nobody's hating. Nobody said they were bad, just rigid in the RE pricing department.
I might've been hating a little bit? Lol. That's just my experience with them as RE devs combined with my interest in their plugins in general. I also don't like how iZotope handles things with their one RE, Ozone Maximizer, which could at the very least be updated to include the improvements of Ozone's Maximizer from over the years. But aside from that, I really like iZotope's products, so they get a little bit more of a pass from me.

Even when softube was somewhat steadily making REs, it was weird to not see much of any interaction with them in the Reason community. The only time I saw them really talk about REs would be in the RE platform promotional videos produced by Propellerhead at that time.

User avatar
Auryn
Posts: 624
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Location: La Mancha

Post 03 Jan 2021

Of the softube RE's, the FET, saturation knob and TSAR verb I would recommend. TSAR is especially good, it's very convincing as an actual "space" or room around your sounds and it works especially well on actual instruments so for your music style it would be suitable. The FET compressor is also quite good, though I don't really know much about competing emulations like the Kuassa one. It also has a specific 'color', so try before you buy
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
eXpandemonium Refill: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/expandemonium

Michaellos
Posts: 117
Joined: 18 May 2016

Post 03 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
03 Jan 2021
Forget Softube. They sell overpriced and outdated stuff and have crap support. The RE have bugs which will never get fixed (i have also payed VSTs from several companies which bugs never never will be fixed, but this is another story).

The only really good thing is FET, but it's not worth the called price.
Softube Tube Tech Channel Strip is a really nice tool for certain goals, with such a "warm" sound, but totally overpriced. And - yes, technical support is crap, not only my personal experience, as I can see

DecafDreams
Posts: 66
Joined: 07 Oct 2020

Post 04 Jan 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
02 Jan 2021

REDACTED
Valley People Dyna-Mite - £149
Trident A-Range - £199
TSAR-1 Reverb - £199
Tube-Tech Classic Channel - £349

That's a total of £896 I will need to spend at the current prices!

My real fear is that these plugins will get disappeared from the shop, like the RE2A did, before I have chance to save up enough to buy them for my collection. Or, perhaps worse, that the day after I have bought them all, it's announced that the next version of Reason will contain them all as embedded REs to go alongside the Amp and Bass Amp!

I too had emailed Softube hoping to encourage them to do some sort of bundle or discounts on these plugins but I got advised straight up that it is 100% Propellerhead who control these products in the shop.

They did a £99 discount on FET last year, so here's hoping they'll discount the others at some point and I can finally complete my Softube RE collection; they are definitely worth having as they sound so good.
Last edited by DecafDreams on 04 Jan 2021, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 2263
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 04 Jan 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
04 Jan 2021
challism wrote:
04 Jan 2021

I also don't like the tone it is taking; it's turned pretty unfriendly, really ('with your bullshit.... here's one for your face"). Let's keep it civil.
Fair enough, I'll use "lies" and "proof of your being uninformed" from now on. But please recognize that my verbal opponent was the first to venture there and did it by throwing a turd on a whole nation, which I'd have no problem with, had there been a shred of truth.
Engaging in the discourse (on the same level) makes who started it a moot point. Let's just keep it civil and keep on topic. This most recent reply is not keeping on topic; it more like you are trying to get in the last word. i would suggest you drop it and move on now. Thank you!
DecafDreams wrote:
04 Jan 2021
I completely agree. I've had my heart set on completing my Softube RE collection for ages. I've still got these four left to buy and, as you say, they never seem to get discounted:

My real fear is that these plugins will get disappeared from the shop, like the RE2A did...
Thanks for bringing this back on topic.

That's a valid fear. It would be nice to at least be given a warning from a Dev before they pulled their REs (or raised the price). I think it was amazing that Cakewalk offered RE2A for free before they removed it from the shop. Wouldn't it be great if all Devs offered their devices for free before they disappeared?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

DecafDreams
Posts: 66
Joined: 07 Oct 2020

Post 04 Jan 2021

DecafDreams wrote:
04 Jan 2021
EdwardKiy wrote:
02 Jan 2021
still selling the $200 reverb, $200 compressor, $200 channel eq and a $350 channel strip, never a discount of any kind. I contacted their company through the main website and they told me that the RE Sales are done by a separate company and that they would contact them to find out what's going on. That was over a month ago and nothing happened.

While I recognize that their REs are of a particularly high quality, I have to wonder if the sales numbers reflect the ingenuity of such a pricing policy, that with all the competitors and their own VST versions of the same REs.

I'm a massive scrooge, but some of the softube REs are the few things in the RE shop that I actually want, just not at the current ridiculous price point. Perhaps I'm not the only one?
I completely agree. I've had my heart set on completing my Softube RE collection for ages. I've still got these four left to buy and, as you say, they never seem to get discounted:

Valley People Dyna-Mite - £149
Trident A-Range - £199
TSAR-1 Reverb - £199
Tube-Tech Classic Channel - £349

That's a total of £896 I will need to spend at the current prices!

My real fear is that these plugins will get disappeared from the shop, like the RE2A did, before I have chance to save up enough to buy them for my collection. Or, perhaps worse, that the day after I have bought them all, it's announced that the next version of Reason will contain them all as embedded REs to go alongside the Amp and Bass Amp!

I too had emailed Softube hoping to encourage them to do some sort of bundle or discounts on these plugins but I got advised straight up that it is 100% Propellerhead who control these products in the shop.

They did a £99 discount on FET last year, so here's hoping they'll discount the others at some point and I can finally complete my Softube RE collection; they are definitely worth having as they sound so good.
Just seen on Softube's own shop/site that the Tubetech bundle VST/AU/AAX version is currently available for the equivalent of just £202! And that includes the MKII revisions of those plugins too! I wish Propellerhead would follow suit and discount the RE version accordingly...

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 2263
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 04 Jan 2021

DecafDreams wrote:
04 Jan 2021
Just seen on Softube's own shop/site that the Tubetech bundle VST/AU/AAX version is currently available for the equivalent of just £202! And that includes the MKII revisions of those plugins too! I wish Propellerhead would follow suit and discount the RE version accordingly...
It's not up to RS, it's up to Softube to change their prices.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests