Favorite REs released in 2020?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Tiny Montgomery
Posts: 93
Joined: 22 Apr 2020

Post 16 Dec 2020

Beatmap. Absolute game changer for me. It's often the first thing I fire up in Ableton too. There's always 2 or 3 small midi note adjustments I need to do to make it map to Ableton's drum rack, would never do anything sensible like save it as a patch lol. Might actually do that later.

arnigretar
Posts: 19
Joined: 15 May 2020
Location: Iceland

Post 16 Dec 2020

Evolution

EdGrip
Posts: 2055
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

Post 16 Dec 2020

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
16 Dec 2020
Beatmap. Absolute game changer for me. It's often the first thing I fire up in Ableton too. There's always 2 or 3 small midi note adjustments I need to do to make it map to Ableton's drum rack, would never do anything sensible like save it as a patch lol. Might actually do that later.
Can't believe I haven't tried this!

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1745
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Dec 2020

arnigretar wrote:
16 Dec 2020
Evolution
Ah yes, I got that as well. Very interesting Player. Having fun using it to control my Eurorack gear.

User avatar
PinkSlime
Posts: 42
Joined: 24 Feb 2015

Post 17 Dec 2020

I was really happy to see innovative ideas grow into players this year. I think i got all of them. Then Friktion, Speo's new synth for sure. Also the blamsoft, red rock and forgotten klank devices work really well for mixing. Ekssperimental synths and FX. We did not have quantities like previous years but I must say the quality was very high. Well thought out devices that do their tasks well, good sounds, few or no bugs and pushing the limits of the current SDK to achieve the best possible workflow.

Even if we did not have VSTs, with the above the rack is full. Only niche corners to cover. However I believe that having VSTs may also have worked for the RE genre as developers took a new spin on things that existed in VST land like dynamic EQs, EQs with embedded saturation, different compression algorithms. We have tons of gentle saturation/distortion options now.

Tiny Montgomery
Posts: 93
Joined: 22 Apr 2020

Post 17 Dec 2020

EdGrip wrote:
16 Dec 2020
Tiny Montgomery wrote:
16 Dec 2020
Beatmap. Absolute game changer for me. It's often the first thing I fire up in Ableton too. There's always 2 or 3 small midi note adjustments I need to do to make it map to Ableton's drum rack, would never do anything sensible like save it as a patch lol. Might actually do that later.
Can't believe I haven't tried this!
Yeah I loved going through the preset Ableton drum racks when i first got it, tend to just open an empty rack now and choose sounds one by one. Just using it on any drum kit you have is like hearing them for the first time. Ableton session view is ideal for capturing variations quickly too. Sometimes I'll do a few passes of Beatmap creating midi clips in the drum channel and then run those clips with follow actions so Ableton juggles them for me creating new variations

User avatar
Ottostrom
Posts: 380
Joined: 13 May 2016

Post 17 Dec 2020

PinkSlime wrote:
17 Dec 2020
I was really happy to see innovative ideas grow into players this year. I think i got all of them. Then Friktion, Speo's new synth for sure. Also the blamsoft, red rock and forgotten klank devices work really well for mixing. Ekssperimental synths and FX. We did not have quantities like previous years but I must say the quality was very high. Well thought out devices that do their tasks well, good sounds, few or no bugs and pushing the limits of the current SDK to achieve the best possible workflow.

Even if we did not have VSTs, with the above the rack is full. Only niche corners to cover. However I believe that having VSTs may also have worked for the RE genre as developers took a new spin on things that existed in VST land like dynamic EQs, EQs with embedded saturation, different compression algorithms. We have tons of gentle saturation/distortion options now.
Well said!
We might not get that many new REs per year but as long as they are quality devices like the ones this year then I'm not complaining :)

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 2233
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 17 Dec 2020

I had to come back in here to post about Bcase's new RE Double Tracking Effect. It just barely got released in the shop today, right before the end of 2020. Anyway... it's definitely one of my top REs of 2020. Not only is the double tracking a nice effect o have, this thing has some great sounding saturation when the drive knobs are cranked up. Have a look.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ng-effect/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
dvdrtldg
Posts: 1442
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 17 Dec 2020

Evolution!

A lot of my work this year has involved producing music for radio & podcasts - sometimes fully-realised compositions, sometimes just cool little fragments that you fade up, hear for 30 seconds and fade down again. I need to work fast, and often when I'm not feeling particularly inspired. Evolution is perfect for this sort of thing, either for knocking out a quick bass or drum part to get things started, or fleshing out melody lines (especially when paired with ChordLine, which gives me access to modes that I wouldn't normally be familiar with). It's also great for sitting on top of an Octo Rex loop and giving it a bit of intelligent variation

With a bit of automation/CV tweaking I can even get it to create very decent instrumental solos. Print a few bars, get in there and move the MIDI notes around a bit, done. Amazing stuff. It's the only player of its kind that I've been able to get results from that don't sound stiff or obviously computer-generated

Lectric Panda is the #1 developer in Reason and it's not even close

User avatar
miscend
Posts: 1692
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

Post 22 Dec 2020

I can't remember buying any RE in 2020. I just upgraded to Suite and that had most REs I'd need.

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 514
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 23 Dec 2020

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
16 Dec 2020
Beatmap. Absolute game changer for me. It's often the first thing I fire up in Ableton too. There's always 2 or 3 small midi note adjustments I need to do to make it map to Ableton's drum rack, would never do anything sensible like save it as a patch lol. Might actually do that later.
It's actually awesome for basslines, too. You might want to transpose the output to the key of your project (with Note Echo) and then squeeze it into a scale (with Scales & Chords), but the fact that it's rhytmic and constrained to only couple of notes makes it perfect :)
Music tech enthusiast. DAW, VST & hardware hoarder :D
My "music" - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
adfielding
Posts: 816
Joined: 19 May 2015

Post 23 Dec 2020

Beatmap and Evolution win the prize for me, though I must admit I haven't really picked up many new REs this year - rather, I've been re-acquainting myself with REs I hadn't used in a while. In that regard, VK-2 wins the prize for me as a wonderful re-discovery.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5880
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 25 Dec 2020

Yep! Now I know what I'm doing (roughly)...there's no doubt about it. Evolution.
丰2ॐ

WarStar
Posts: 139
Joined: 17 Oct 2018

Post 25 Dec 2020

Beatmap is really a cool player.. I initially put it on a drum kit then thought why not use it for soley hihats.. then just snare and hihats.. for trap hip-hop stuff it works like a charm, a cheat code for really cool hat variations kind of endless really.. fun to do with just toms and snare too... It's great for Tom rolls and snare stuff too... My first player I've messed around with lol

User avatar
gullum
Posts: 866
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 25 Dec 2020

I managed to buy one after all this year and it's my favorite Kuassa Amplifikation Clarent

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5880
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 26 Dec 2020

gullum wrote:
25 Dec 2020
I managed to buy one after all this year and it's my favorite Kuassa Amplifikation Clarent
Would’ve probably said the same myself except that I’ve got the VST.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
gullum
Posts: 866
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 26 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
26 Dec 2020
gullum wrote:
25 Dec 2020
I managed to buy one after all this year and it's my favorite Kuassa Amplifikation Clarent
Would’ve probably said the same myself except that I’ve got the VST.
But it's a RE so it got that Reason sound to it. you know you need that smell of a new RE :D

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5880
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 26 Dec 2020

gullum wrote:
26 Dec 2020
MrFigg wrote:
26 Dec 2020


Would’ve probably said the same myself except that I’ve got the VST.
But it's a RE so it got that Reason sound to it. you know you need that smell of a new RE :D
Hahaha. Stop It.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
16161d
Posts: 35
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 27 Dec 2020

You all got me very curious about Evolution. I’ve been telling myself I don’t need another player that generates notes and I didn’t want to have too much that is purely generative, but I decided to buy it and it’s definitely very musical to play with, I love it how it sequences drums. Anyone got any cool things to share about it that make it your favourite this year?

Honestly I think Lectric Panda’s RE’s have always been my favourite RE’s of any year. Also a big fan of Dual CV Source this year too, definitely been some really interesting innovations in the rack, it’s so cool to see all these new amazing devices coming out still.

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 2233
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 28 Dec 2020

16161d wrote:
27 Dec 2020
You all got me very curious about Evolution. I’ve been telling myself I don’t need another player that generates notes and I didn’t want to have too much that is purely generative, but I decided to buy it and it’s definitely very musical to play with, I love it how it sequences drums. Anyone got any cool things to share about it that make it your favourite this year?
That's great you decided to buy it. It's a very special generative player, in a league of its own. It's so deep and full of wonderful surprises.

I think Evolution really shines when combined with other players. Do you have MIDI-CV Converter, by any chance? That's really a must have device, if you are using players. So I will often times use Evolution as a way to spice up a bass line or a phrase. If you put Evolution above Chords & Scales, it can be used to generate the root note (C&S will create a chord from that root note), then you can put an arpeggiator below C&S. I like to use Kompulsion for this task. It also works well with Euclidean and AutoLatch. I tend to run really complex CV spiderwebbed devices across the back of the rack with Evolution used to drive them all.
16161d wrote:
27 Dec 2020
Honestly I think Lectric Panda’s RE’s have always been my favourite RE’s of any year. Also a big fan of Dual CV Source this year too, definitely been some really interesting innovations in the rack, it’s so cool to see all these new amazing devices coming out still.
Agree, Lectric Panda is consistently releasing some of the most exciting and innovative products in the shop. I'm really excited to see the newest player Rob's been working on. See quote from the Pandaman below
rcbuse wrote:
22 Oct 2020
Working on my next opus.
Follow along with progress here https://twitter.com/CarpetSoup
EDIT... by the way, I just noticed Evolution is on sale for $29. That is such a good deal. Anybody who doesn't have it (and enjoys using players) should pick it up for that price. It's so good. The more I use it, the more I love it. It's kind of addictive.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], estuary, guitfnky, jamespember, lecafard, Trendiction [Bot] and 5 guests