new Reason Studios Player: Pattern Mutator

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
froggo_gfx
Posts: 40
Joined: 28 Dec 2020

Post 09 Jan 2021

Hey! If someone else here is annoyed with excessive octave jumps Octave/Pitch parameter provides, here's a free solution:
midiForceToRange plugin which... forces incoming notes to specific range. Very helpful!
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=300566

(there's also a $35 Player in Reason Store, which does the same but inside a rack/RRP which is callen InRange: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n/inrange/)

bigguy1
Posts: 96
Joined: 28 Sep 2018

Post 11 Jan 2021

froggo_gfx wrote:
09 Jan 2021
Hey! If someone else here is annoyed with excessive octave jumps Octave/Pitch parameter provides, here's a free solution:
midiForceToRange plugin which... forces incoming notes to specific range. Very helpful!
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=300566

(there's also a $35 Player in Reason Store, which does the same but inside a rack/RRP which is callen InRange: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n/inrange/)
This can also easily be done with the Delta Midi Computer, which I already have. E.G. in Delta there is a preset called "Always Octave 1" which transforms all notes to their corresponding equivalent in Octave 1. Based on that you can easily adapt to your needs.

I think InRange gives better Visual Feedback for the filtering but 39€ (in the german store) it's a bit pricy for that little return you get, if you already got Delta.
Last edited by bigguy1 on 20 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gardinski
Posts: 209
Joined: 04 Feb 2015

Post 19 Jan 2021

Surely it would be more sensible to have two separate knobs: one for varying pitch and one for octave, so that you can morph the melody subtly without crazy dolphin-esque swoops.

Tweaking the output in Delta does the trick , but obviously not everyone has Delta. (IMHO, everyone should, because Marcos/Socram has given us a fantastic toolkit there... but I appreciate that it's a pretty 'niche' player, and the sales of Pattern Mutator will inevitably be far greater due to PatMut's broader appeal.)

User avatar
syncanonymous
Posts: 437
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: UK and France

Post 21 Jan 2021

I am soooo late to the Player party; been tracking as normal this past year.

Yesterday I bought the player bundle with Drum Seq and Kompulsion

Spent my first day with Kompulsion today...my word that RE is incredible...I'm blown away
computer is improvising with such taste...obviously a user has to set it up, but...just wow

A lot can be learned, as a musician, using these players
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 2312
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the New York

Post 21 Jan 2021

Not claiming to be a "musician" or nuthin'

Something tells me we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto
The Now Sound of MIDI Thru 🧂

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1463
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 21 Jan 2021

motuscott wrote:
21 Jan 2021
Something tells me we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto
Precisely :puf_smile:

Image
R11 Suite

My music made in Reason : https://audius.co/jeff40529158

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1463
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 22 Jan 2021

Who ended up buying this fantastic device?

I did.
R11 Suite

My music made in Reason : https://audius.co/jeff40529158

Kuranes2021
Posts: 29
Joined: 08 Jan 2021

Post 23 Jan 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
22 Jan 2021
Who ended up buying this fantastic device?

I did.
I did too! At first I didn't realize it's full potential. I only kept smashing the "mutate" button, and I wasn't really that impressed by the results. Because all parameters were changed at once, all too often it was a chaotic mess, and the original idea was barely recognizable. But that changed, when I started to only change one or two parameters. That's when I began to be blown away. Because since then, I was able to produce so many great ideas, that I don't even know where to start to produce a new song (yeah, that's what I exactly needed, a million more ideas to drown in :D)

No, seriously, this player was another fabulous boost for my creativity, I do not want to miss that thing anymore.

User avatar
zabukowski
Posts: 139
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia, EU

Post 23 Jan 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
22 Jan 2021
Who ended up buying this fantastic device?

I did.
+1

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1463
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 23 Jan 2021

Kuranes2021 wrote:
23 Jan 2021
BRIGGS wrote:
22 Jan 2021
Who ended up buying this fantastic device?

I did.
I did too! At first I didn't realize it's full potential. I only kept smashing the "mutate" button, and I wasn't really that impressed by the results. Because all parameters were changed at once, all too often it was a chaotic mess, and the original idea was barely recognizable. But that changed, when I started to only change one or two parameters. That's when I began to be blown away. Because since then, I was able to produce so many great ideas, that I don't even know where to start to produce a new song (yeah, that's what I exactly needed, a million more ideas to drown in :D)

No, seriously, this player was another fabulous boost for my creativity, I do not want to miss that thing anymore.
I had a very similar experience. :puf_smile:
R11 Suite

My music made in Reason : https://audius.co/jeff40529158

User avatar
zabukowski
Posts: 139
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia, EU

Post 23 Jan 2021

Incredible for improvising and expirementing with drum beats and fills - tons of variations :shock:

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1463
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 23 Jan 2021

zabukowski wrote:
23 Jan 2021
Incredible for improvising and expirementing with drum beats and fills - tons of variations :shock:
I've barely messed around with it, on drums. Seems like a good thing to do today.

I'm wondering, how it handles the tribal/war drums thing. :puf_smile:
R11 Suite

My music made in Reason : https://audius.co/jeff40529158

ab459
Posts: 275
Joined: 28 Dec 2018
Location: Minsk Belarus

Post 23 Jan 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
22 Jan 2021
Who ended up buying this fantastic device?

I did.
I been write already viewtopic.php?p=532929#p532929.
The mutation result by itself and his setting i found really as what exactly need, here big thanks to devs. But as said, complex note stacks imports (record) often incorrectly (by time\length), though it's not critically, considering the purpose of this device.

User avatar
LongFist
Posts: 65
Joined: 25 Jan 2021
Location: CyberSpace

Post 31 Jan 2021

zabukowski wrote:
23 Jan 2021
BRIGGS wrote:
22 Jan 2021
Who ended up buying this fantastic device?

I did.
+1
As did I. As did I. I've been playing with it this weekend, and got unfairly frustrated because when I gave it latitude to change/shift note values, it tended to "leap" octaves and it came out sounding, well, spastic on my Monotone Bass Synth. I read the docs, checked the device over very carefully, but could find no way to "cage" the output into something that didn't sound so wrong coming out of Monotone. (It was making Monotone sound like it was going through puberty again. A hilarious thought in your mind's eye, but not something you'd want to share with the public, especially not in your productions...)

Somebody else here mentioned TonicMint's InRange product <https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n/inrange/> and for a mere $35 (Pattern Mutator goes for $69) I found Nirvana! No joke, this is a match made in heaven! It works so well that (unless you look) you never know it's even there! Except that your Pattern Mutator no longer produces notes outside the pleasant range of whatever instrument you're "mutating" for. It's smooth, it's super-quick, and it's nearly invisible (only requires a small strip of real estate - even smaller once you collapse it) in comparison. It just works.

I just thought I'd make mention that there is a viable solution to that condition (it's not an error, and it's actually pretty cool sometimes). It's the best product that I have encountered so far to achieve that victory without really over-complicating things!

Reason Studios' Pattern Mutator and TonicMint's InRange: A fairly effective match for your noodling needs!!!

Okay, I'm done trying to be an advertisement now. I just wanted people to know. Thanks!!!
:rebirth: 2.0.1 :recycle: 2.2 :reload: 1.0 :record: 1.0 :reason: 11 Suite :reason:+ ________ :arrow: Love the entire product line!

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2004
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 31 Jan 2021

I still am not convinced that it is for me.

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1463
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 31 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
31 Jan 2021
I still am not convinced that it is for me.
What players do you gravitate towards, currently?
R11 Suite

My music made in Reason : https://audius.co/jeff40529158

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1463
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 31 Jan 2021

LongFist wrote:
31 Jan 2021
zabukowski wrote:
23 Jan 2021


+1
As did I. As did I. I've been playing with it this weekend, and got unfairly frustrated because when I gave it latitude to change/shift note values, it tended to "leap" octaves and it came out sounding, well, spastic on my Monotone Bass Synth. I read the docs, checked the device over very carefully, but could find no way to "cage" the output into something that didn't sound so wrong coming out of Monotone. (It was making Monotone sound like it was going through puberty again. A hilarious thought in your mind's eye, but not something you'd want to share with the public, especially not in your productions...)

Somebody else here mentioned TonicMint's InRange product <https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n/inrange/> and for a mere $35 (Pattern Mutator goes for $69) I found Nirvana! No joke, this is a match made in heaven! It works so well that (unless you look) you never know it's even there! Except that your Pattern Mutator no longer produces notes outside the pleasant range of whatever instrument you're "mutating" for. It's smooth, it's super-quick, and it's nearly invisible (only requires a small strip of real estate - even smaller once you collapse it) in comparison. It just works.

I just thought I'd make mention that there is a viable solution to that condition (it's not an error, and it's actually pretty cool sometimes). It's the best product that I have encountered so far to achieve that victory without really over-complicating things!

Reason Studios' Pattern Mutator and TonicMint's InRange: A fairly effective match for your noodling needs!!!

Okay, I'm done trying to be an advertisement now. I just wanted people to know. Thanks!!!
InRange is cool. I've also been recording into polystep then editing the notes then recording back into mutator. It usually turns out fantastic.

Another way is to scrap the pattern completely, and start over. :shock:
Last edited by BRIGGS on 01 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.
R11 Suite

My music made in Reason : https://audius.co/jeff40529158

User avatar
froggo_gfx
Posts: 40
Joined: 28 Dec 2020

Post 01 Feb 2021

As was mentioned on one of the Stay at Home Streams, this thing was tested primarily on sequencer-based synths like 303, so there IS an application for those octave jumps, like in acid patterns.
But it honestly escapes me why couldn’t it be sone with a separate knob.
How do I @ user here? Please, devs, am I missing something obvious?

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2004
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 01 Feb 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
31 Jan 2021
Billy+ wrote:
31 Jan 2021
I still am not convinced that it is for me.
What players do you gravitate towards, currently?
Difficult to say really, I guess I almost always use chords & scales, but only for the scale UTL Modifier, Euclidean & chord detector just check I'm getting the chord I'm after.

User avatar
LongFist
Posts: 65
Joined: 25 Jan 2021
Location: CyberSpace

Post 01 Feb 2021

froggo_gfx wrote:
01 Feb 2021
As was mentioned on one of the Stay at Home Streams, this thing was tested primarily on sequencer-based synths like 303, so there IS an application for those octave jumps, like in acid patterns.
But it honestly escapes me why couldn’t it be sone with a separate knob.
How do I @ user here? Please, devs, am I missing something obvious?
I totally get that, no argument. It's very exciting in that context. But I got curious, and decided to have Pattern Mutator lay down an alternate bass line for me, and that's where the frustrations began. Then I got InRange, and that's where the frustrations ended.

Now my copy of Pattern Mutator truly can do it all. With a little help from its friends, of course. /sgtPepper
:rebirth: 2.0.1 :recycle: 2.2 :reload: 1.0 :record: 1.0 :reason: 11 Suite :reason:+ ________ :arrow: Love the entire product line!

groggy1
Posts: 448
Joined: 10 Jun 2015

Post 06 Feb 2021

This is probably the best thread to put this in:

Wanted to share my favorite Mutator trick (especially helpful when you're feeling uninspired):
1) Record a boring baseline, or pluck pattern
2) Mutate it however you like
3) Send the mutated pattern "To Track"
4) Duplicate track+device: You now have two separate mix-channels with two independent copies of your "bass/pluck" instrument
5) Each track now has two clips: The original pattern, and the mutated pattern. So on ONE of the tracks, mute the original pattern. And on the SECOND track, mute the mutated pattern. You should now have device copy #1 playing the original pattern. And device #2 playing the mutated pattern
6) Hard-pan device #1 to Left. Hard-pan device #2 to Right

Each pattern is now playing on one of your speakers, and it can lead to some fun accidents!

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1463
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 06 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
01 Feb 2021
BRIGGS wrote:
31 Jan 2021


What players do you gravitate towards, currently?
Difficult to say really, I guess I almost always use chords & scales, but only for the scale UTL Modifier, Euclidean & chord detector just check I'm getting the chord I'm after.
Makes sense. Aside from Euclidean, non of those are pattern based players.

It's a different thought process, and not for everyone.
R11 Suite

My music made in Reason : https://audius.co/jeff40529158

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2004
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 06 Feb 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
06 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
01 Feb 2021


Difficult to say really, I guess I almost always use chords & scales, but only for the scale UTL Modifier, Euclidean & chord detector just check I'm getting the chord I'm after.
Makes sense. Aside from Euclidean, non of those are pattern based players.

It's a different thought process, and not for everyone.
Yeah as I've said before I just don't think its for me, I like the idea but most of what I work around are 8 bar phrases and although you wouldn't want the whole phrase to be mutatored you definitely want it to be considered as a whole. 128 steps and I might have taken the time to have a play but I'm much more comfortable mutating the phrases my self.

DonnieAlan
Posts: 259
Joined: 25 Jan 2017

Post 06 Feb 2021

Wow, this one is going in the kit bag today! I've been waiting a long time for a MIDI variation generator like this one. Not since the 90's have I seen one like this. My template has always been the original Dr. T's KCS (Keyboard Controlled Sequencer), which, besides being a multi-track midi sequencer, had a feature called PVG (Programmable Variations Generator) which apparently the Mutator resembles quite a bit in features and function. Makes me wonder if someone at Reason might have once used or have seen the KCS PVG they have such similar features. WHatever the case, this is, for me, a MUST HAVE!

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 2509
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 09 Feb 2021

Something I've been doing with PatMut lately is using the player "direct recording" feature, and recording the mutations live, as they are happening. I find this can yield much faster results than copying the mutations to different pattern banks. I then go back and edit the recording, pull out the gems, delete the garbage. It's a great way to come up with fills and variations to keep parts of the song from being too repetitive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 4 guests