Enlightenspeed Melodic Inverter - New Video!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

26 Nov 2020

Hi Folks,

Just letting you know about the new video we stuck up for Melodic Inverter.

First up, it's loooooong overdue, but we finally have managed to get a working setup for recording videos that we are pleased with. Hopefully from this point on we will be able to retain a schedule which resembles the release schedule of the devices, although granted, yes, Melodic Inverter was always a bit weird like that due to the very public design and build of the thing.

This first video just concentrates on using the global algorithms to get a good return from an old classical piece in public domain - we also mention that but not going in to any details as it's a jurisdictional thing.

The next video will be a feature run-through of everything else on the device, and we'll be aiming to keep it short and sweet :D

Enjoy,
Brian
Last edited by Enlightenspeed on 27 Nov 2020, edited 2 times in total.

Bes
Competition Winner

26 Nov 2020

hope you+the family are doing ok also Brian :) what an intense year indeed. looking forward to diving into those algos in the next video
- Certified Reason expert

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

26 Nov 2020

... aaaaand video 2 - this time covering the basics of the step sequencer :)

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

26 Nov 2020

Bes wrote:
26 Nov 2020
hope you+the family are doing ok also Brian :) what an intense year indeed. looking forward to diving into those algos in the next video
Hey man,

Hope you're well - and hope all yours are in good shape also :D

The 2nd vid is just up and really just covers the step sequencer. I'll do 3 more quick ones - as in a minute a piece most likely to cover target scales, and the pass and step functions, as they all really need to be seen with a relevant example or they become difficult to make sense of. Hopefully they will be arriving with us over the weekend :D

I actually don't think that there is much necessity for exploring the algorithms themselves. They do what they do regardless, you can't play dry/wet with an integer value like a note number, so they are pretty much set in stone once the user has them in the sequencer.

Add to this that on the first "major" upgrade of Melodic Inverter, it will add about another 50 algos in, so it'll just be noisy to try and explain them all - at the end of the day the device works more like a DJ sport than a methodical musical practice - you listen to the output and see if you like it; so I really feel that going deeply into what the algorithms actually do is of little importance, the end user just wants/needs a lot of them.

your thoughts?

Cheers,
B

Bes
Competition Winner

27 Nov 2020

especially with the extra randomisation features i think the device reflects how it was intended to be used. the example with LvB's big hit was easily illustrative of that (although i also really wanted to hear it with the chords turned off) and thats a really powerful and useful tool. for me, knowing what a device is doing and feeding it something specific in order to get a specific output is what gets me up in the morning and is how i'll be using melodic inverter. i don't know how i'll go with 50 new algos though, that is a lot to digest but i am super excited about trying. i don't need you to explain any of the current algos to me though, i've already gone over them a bunch but i bet there are other reason users who would get excited about how dense you can get with this device

nice flex with the softube devices :)

Bes
Competition Winner

27 Nov 2020

perhaps the manual is the right place to explain the algos, not promotional videos

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

27 Nov 2020

Bes wrote:
27 Nov 2020
the example with LvB's big hit was easily illustrative of that (although i also really wanted to hear it with the chords turned off)
Yeah, that was an error that I realised after recording - it's absolutely sublime, and waaaaay better if you remember to leave the chords off :D
Bes wrote:
27 Nov 2020
nice flex with the softube devices :)
They sound fantastic under the right circumstances, but TubeTech is best used sparingly as it has some weird high end sizzling in some scenarios. Anyway, smoke 'em if you got 'em :D

Cheers,
Brian

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

27 Nov 2020

The first video is currently getting reloaded by the way, after a bit of editing, and redoing.

Just in case anyone is looking for it. It'll be back in about 20 minutes I think

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

28 Nov 2020

Bes wrote:
27 Nov 2020
the example with LvB's big hit was easily illustrative of that (although i also really wanted to hear it with the chords turned off)
Ok,

Check out the re-edited version. I’ve cut out a lot of the chit-chat as well 😊

Cheers,
Brian

Bes
Competition Winner

28 Nov 2020

yeah it sounds really nice huh.
looking forward to doing something with it

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

29 Nov 2020

Bes wrote:
28 Nov 2020
yeah it sounds really nice huh.
looking forward to doing something with it
Enjoy 😉

Should be two more short videos turning up tomorrow, too,

Cheers,
Brian

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

30 Nov 2020

....and the third video for Mel Inverter is now up - I'm showing a good way to use the Pass buttons.

I've decided against doing a video for the Mute buttons - I think that would be getting to the point where it is insulting people's intelligence :D

How are people finding the "less conversational" format? I'm intending to try and keep it this way, but personally I don't like being this short and matter of fact. I guess that's what the public prefer though?

Cheers,
Brian

Bes
Competition Winner

30 Nov 2020

huh, right now the video is showing as private and unavailable

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

01 Dec 2020

Bes wrote:
30 Nov 2020
huh, right now the video is showing as private and unavailable
Is it available now?

I jumped the gun with posting it, as it was scheduled for release about 3 minutes later on YouTube. Some people around here are just too fast :D

robotgard

01 Dec 2020

Last edited by robotgard on 09 Dec 2020, edited 4 times in total.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

01 Dec 2020

Ok, looked into it and the YouTube scheduler thing had transposed itself to December - you would've had it by the end of the year anyway.

Should pop up in 5 minutes.

Cheers,
Brian

Bes
Competition Winner

01 Dec 2020

simple function, simple video. its good

• Information