D16 Devastor 2 vst or re

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Billy+

25 Nov 2020

So what would you choose Devastor 2 as vst or rack extension, and why?

joeyluck

25 Nov 2020

I prefer the RE for the CV.

But if you are a customer of Focusrite hardware, you can get Devastor 2 VST for free right now through their plugin collective.

Billy+

25 Nov 2020

joeyluck wrote:
25 Nov 2020

But if you are a customer of Focusrite hardware, you can get Devastor 2 VST for free right now through their plugin collective.
Thanks for the response, I'm looking at getting a 4i4 but have been putting it off and spending my cash on plugins instead. Do you get monthly plugins as a member of the plugin collective, I just assumed you got the cut DAW's and the offer for the month with discounted offers.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2020

More like once every 3 mo. But Google Focusrite Collective and you'll see what was in the past. Some quite useful, so not, but 1 or 2 per year maybe.
Devastor 2 VST is 50% off right now by the way.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

joeyluck

25 Nov 2020

Billy wrote:
25 Nov 2020
joeyluck wrote:
25 Nov 2020

Thanks for the response, I'm looking at getting a 4i4 but have been putting it off and spending my cash on plugins instead. Do you get monthly plugins as a member of the plugin collective, I just assumed you got the cut DAW's and the offer for the month with discounted offers.
Yeah as Boombastix mentioned, it's something new every few months it seems. But most all of it is limited time offers aside from the choice of Addictive Keys, I think. Sometimes it's free like Devastor 2 is now, others times it's discounts...

client6

26 Nov 2020

Someone may choose the VST over the RE if they also use other DAWs (not just Reason). I purchased the VST based on that.

antic604

26 Nov 2020

If you're only using Reason, get the RE.
Otherwise VST is the more reasonable choice.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

tumar

27 Nov 2020

I have both - RE version is much more CPU hungry than vst on the same machine. Any way, it's absolutely fantastic plugin ;)

dezma

27 Nov 2020

tumar wrote:
27 Nov 2020
I have both - RE version is much more CPU hungry than vst on the same machine. Any way, it's absolutely fantastic plugin ;)
I did a similar test with RP predator 2 a while back, along with another plugin. Rack extension is MUCH more cpu hungry, somewhere between 50 and 100% extra CPU.
Also you cannot resell RE.

Only if you really need the CV or want to use it in combinator, RE makes sense I guess.

challism

27 Nov 2020

dezma wrote:
27 Nov 2020
tumar wrote:
27 Nov 2020
I did a similar test with RP predator 2 a while back, along with another plugin. Rack extension is MUCH more cpu hungry, somewhere between 50 and 100% extra CPU.
Also you cannot resell RE.

Only if you really need the CV or want to use it in combinator, RE makes sense I guess.
The new CPU meter in Reason 11 will really help with doing such tests in the future. That's a great feature they added.

I'd go with the RE just because I love the RE format; so neat, convenient and hassle-free. Also, as Joey mentioned, the CV routing is nice. These are great devices regardless of which you go for, RE or VST.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

tumar

27 Nov 2020

challism wrote:
27 Nov 2020
The new CPU meter in Reason 11 will really help with doing such tests in the future. That's a great feature they added.
Nothing to do with any meter - audio project choked and crackled with RE. It was OK with VST put instead.

challism

27 Nov 2020

tumar wrote:
27 Nov 2020
challism wrote:
27 Nov 2020
Nothing to do with any meter - audio project choked and crackled with RE. It was OK with VST put instead.
You are missing my point; the new CPU meter in Reason 11 will make it easier for us to identify which devices are using more CPU, and also give us more accurate results. If the RE was crackling and the VST wasn't, I would agree the RE is most likely using more CPU. I wasn't disputing that.

BTW, I really like your avatar. That's great.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

• Information