Great RE's on sale! Some recommendations

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
chaosroyale

23 Nov 2020

Full disclosure: I no longer buy RE's because I don't think the format has a long-term future, but I know there are some users who love them, and right now in the sale there are a few amazing bargains for RE users.

My list is intended for users who do a lot of their own sound designing, who maybe don't have a ton of VSTs, and want to get some really powerful RE's at a low price without spending a lot or doubling-up on too much gear. Feel free to add your own recommendations, with a note to say what kind of user you think they are suitable for.

1. Forgotten Waveshaper 2 (saturation/distortion/waveshaping)

Better than Trash2, better than Saturn. Absolutely amazingly powerful distortion/clipping/saturation/waveshaping plugin, but also useful as a bread-and-butter overdrive, with a clear layout and pretty easy to use. One of the few multi-band distortions where that feature is actually useful. At 25 bucks!!! 10/10

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... eshaper-2/

2. The Legend (synth)

One of the best Minimoog emulations available today, probably equalled only by the more expensive Softube modular one. Tons of character, wonderful fat sound. Easy to use. Synapse really got everything right here. AND you can get the VST for free after buying the RE, so there's really no excuse not to.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/

3. Nostromo (synth)

It's 29 bucks. It has a "randomize" button. It's lots of fun. Get this and the Legend and save yourself 200 bucks on the "Synth rig" bundle.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/

4. Steerpike BBD (delay)

The knob-heavy, slightly overwhelming GUI can be off-putting, but the great character and flexibility of this hardware-like delay makes it a stand out. Adjust the tone of the BBD to get dubwise ghosting echoes, warm and crunchy lo-fi indie vibes, or wild industrial experimental noise. OR turn off the BBD for a very clean hi-fi delay. 19 bucks!

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -ensemble/

Ottostrom

24 Nov 2020

I'm really intrigued by the Forgotten Waveshaper 2 as I can see it is packed to the brim with features, but I'm worried its gonna be too DSP heavy for a quick distortion and then I'll only use it in special cases.
Can anyone comment on its DSP use? Considering we got two freebies from Adam I should probably buy this one anyways to support him :)

strangers
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
23 Nov 2020
4. Steerpike BBD (delay)

The knob-heavy, slightly overwhelming GUI can be off-putting, but the great character and flexibility of this hardware-like delay makes it a stand out. Adjust the tone of the BBD to get dubwise ghosting echoes, warm and crunchy lo-fi indie vibes, or wild industrial experimental noise. OR turn off the BBD for a very clean hi-fi delay. 19 bucks!

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -ensemble/
I'm looking for a solid reverse delay and was considering this already. Would you recommend this or any other RE or VST?

guitfnky

24 Nov 2020

I want to like Steerpike, but I'd suggest really giving it a solid demo before pulling the trigger. it sounds great, and has good presets, but it's got a learning curve--just not an intuitive device. unfortunately I never use it because getting what's in my head set up is such a pain in the ass with this one.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
24 Nov 2020
I want to like Steerpike, but I'd suggest really giving it a solid demo before pulling the trigger. it sounds great, and has good presets, but it's got a learning curve--just not an intuitive device. unfortunately I never use it because getting what's in my head set up is such a pain in the ass with this one.
Same with Chenille and Animus. Lots and lots of knobs. That said...I like and use all three but nearly always the preset.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

iamthor4

24 Nov 2020

stringwerk now 49 bought!

guitfnky

24 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
24 Nov 2020
guitfnky wrote:
24 Nov 2020
Same with Chenille and Animus. Lots and lots of knobs. That said...I like and use all three but nearly always the preset.
yep, 💯—all three are great if you use the presets. all three are difficult beasts to wrangle if you like to reset device and start from scratch. 😳

strangers
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
24 Nov 2020
MrFigg wrote:
24 Nov 2020

yep, 💯—all three are great if you use the presets. all three are difficult beasts to wrangle if you like to reset device and start from scratch. 😳
I'll demo it to see if I get along with it or not. I'll also demo the Kuassa delay. Looks more user friendly and similar to delay pedals I'm more than familiar with.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2020

strangers wrote:
24 Nov 2020
guitfnky wrote:
24 Nov 2020

I'll demo it to see if I get along with it or not. I'll also demo the Kuassa delay. Looks more user friendly and similar to delay pedals I'm more than familiar with.
I've got all the Kuassa stuff and use it a lot. The Kuassa delay is nothing special...pretty basic. You're getting a much better delay in Steerpike with a whole load more functionality. But like you said...demo them :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

strangers
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2020

Thanks guys. I'll give them a go today. Any others you'd throw in the mix?

EdGrip

24 Nov 2020

Another great RE delay is Zvork's Lespace - https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... /le-space/

You might be able to use Fritz as a simple reverse delay - I mean, you can do pretty much anything else with it... https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ion/fritz/

EdGrip

24 Nov 2020

In VST land there's loads, but for reverse delays (and loads more besides) TimeShaper 2 is a great option. https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... meShaper-2

guitfnky

24 Nov 2020

strangers wrote:
24 Nov 2020
not sure if it’s on sale (I think it is though), but check out the Ekssperimental Sounds tape echo—I did a review of it if you’re curious. it sounds awesome, and is easier to use than Steerpike.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
24 Nov 2020
strangers wrote:
24 Nov 2020
not sure if it’s on sale (I think it is though), but check out the Ekssperimental Sounds tape echo—I did a review of it if you’re curious. it sounds awesome, and is easier to use than Steerpike.

It's on sale and it's great.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... eecho-mk2/
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Auryn

24 Nov 2020

Do any of you also own Soundtoys Echoboy? How does the ekss tape delay compare?

@strangers : I thought the Echoboy was a revelation compared to other delays, it gives a far more convincing echo and illusion of space. I'd recommend trying that before other delays, however discounted 😉
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

chaosroyale

24 Nov 2020

Steerpike does reverse delays very well.

If you are happy with VST, the best delay plugin is Valhalla Delay, no question. Only 50 bucks (they never do sales, it is always 50, which is a steal to be honest). Vahalla delay is really easy to use, sounds absolutely fantastic, can do tape, BBD, old school digital, hifi-fi digital, and has a variety of crazy modes including frequency shifting and reverse delays, all from a simple one-page UI.

Someone else has mentioned Echoboy - which is also very good, sounds great, and with tons of features, but has a more fiddly UI that takes more work to customize your sound, rather like Steerpike. Also it is 69 bucks on sale and much more expensive usually.

I would put Valhalla delay top for sound and value, and equal-top for features along with echoboy.

Some people have mentioned the EKSS tape delay- I have not used that but it looks like a pretty solid device and you should certainly demo it. Given how close the price is though, if you are ok with VST, I would definitely go for Valhalla instead, which has the best Tape delay sound I have ever heard AND all those other modes.

But if you want an RE, and don't mind taking a little time to get used to the knobs (*its really just the same set, repeated several times) then Steerpike is amazing value at 19 bucks.
guitfnky wrote:
24 Nov 2020
strangers wrote:
24 Nov 2020

mcatalao
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
23 Nov 2020
Full disclosure: I no longer buy RE's because I don't think the format has a long-term future, but I know there are some users who love them, and right now in the sale there are a few amazing bargains for RE users.
I have to say with the RRP this disclosure doesn't make much sense. The format has a future may it be for users of Reason DAW or people who like the rack in their DAWS and want new stuff inside it.

That being said, i find awkward you talk about the BBD and don't comment Chenille and Animus! I prefer Chennile over the new chorus every day, as it can do simple filling and widening choruses or really awkward stuff.

And Animus is really great, amazing on pianos and other sources.

dvdrtldg

24 Nov 2020

Steerpike has a lot of features and a slightly over-crowded UI, but imo it's not hard to figure out or dial in what you're looking for. Spend half an hour with the manual and you're set

Chenille on the other hand - yes, more of a learning curve. But holy shit what a beast of a thing

One of my favourite RE delays is Deja Vu, which nobody ever seems to talk about. It does reverse delay & pitch shifting, very simple to use and great for out-of-the box sounds. CONS: it's not on sale. PROS: it's $19.00! https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... y-station/

chaosroyale

24 Nov 2020

I must have missed Chenille being on sale, yeah that's a pretty good deal too. I haven't heard Animus so no comment there.

This isn't the thread to talk about the future of Reason in-depth, I'll just say that i have zero interest whatsoever in the RRP, and I think anyone who believes that users of other DAWs are going to start buying RE's instead of VSTs (which are usually far superior, and can be loaded into the DAW directly without needing a wrapper), is sorely mistaken.
mcatalao wrote:
24 Nov 2020
chaosroyale wrote:
23 Nov 2020
I have to say with the RRP this disclosure doesn't make much sense. The format has a future may it be for users of Reason DAW or people who like the rack in their DAWS and want new stuff inside it.

That being said, i find awkward you talk about the BBD and don't comment Chenille and Animus! I prefer Chennile over the new chorus every day, as it can do simple filling and widening choruses or really awkward stuff.

And Animus is really great, amazing on pianos and other sources.

Steedus
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2020

It may be that I just can’t get my head around all the controls, but i have 3 shimmer pedals and I can’t get Animus to sound as good as them. I never bonded with it, even the presets.

But to big JP back up, if your music making suits it the Republik Handheld Percussion RE is really great. There’s definitely a few “fun” sounds but there’s heaps of great stuff too. I’ve even used the box of matches and crushed plastic bottle in a couple of tracks.

$19!

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ercussion/

mcatalao
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
24 Nov 2020
This isn't the thread to talk about the future of Reason in-depth, I'll just say that i have zero interest whatsoever in the RRP, and I think anyone who believes that users of other DAWs are going to start buying RE's instead of VSTs (which are usually far superior, and can be loaded into the DAW directly without needing a wrapper), is sorely mistaken.
It may be, but the format is now the way Reason Studios releases almost every device in reason since v6.5. Even the ones that came out with releases. Commercially, IMHO the format won't die until there are reason daw users and I think people who only use vsts might not buy as much re's as the reason daw users but will bit might buy instruments and effects that you can't find as vst's.

Loque

25 Nov 2020

Sadly Obsession is not in the BF sale :-(

Well, maybe next year...
Reason12, Win10

Tiny Montgomery

25 Nov 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
24 Nov 2020

I'm not doing it 'instead of' but the fact I can use any RE in another DAW actually gives me further reason to buy. Yesterday I got Jiggery Pokery's electric harpsichord. It's a one off that doesn't have a VST AFAIK but now I have this quirky little sound available in both my DAWs.

The rack plugin is a great idea and I use it in every Ableton session, if only to thrown scream around the place liberally as I did back on Reason 3. The RRP was the final piece of the puzzle that got me back in.

adfielding

25 Nov 2020

Nostromo & The Legend are both great picks, though if I were going to pick up The Legend I'd also recommend checking out the Synapse RE bundle because it's all just marvellous. I'm an absolute sucker for patch randomisers for getting ideas started, and Nostromo's frequently produces very useable results which are then easily tweaked. As mentioned - yep, it's loads of fun, and it's $29.

iamthor4

25 Nov 2020

Loque wrote:
25 Nov 2020
Sadly Obsession is not in the BF sale :-(

Well, maybe next year...
email someone and it may be

• Information