Is this possible?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
electrofux

22 Nov 2020

A Sample and Hold device that saves the hold value with the Reason Document, so that when you reload the the Document and the device is in hold mode the saved hold value will still be sent out?

buddard
RE Developer

22 Nov 2020

electrofux wrote:
22 Nov 2020
A Sample and Hold device that saves the hold value with the Reason Document, so that when you reload the the Document and the device is in hold mode the saved hold value will still be sent out?
Only if the device has a control in a custom display that either triggers the hold itself, or saves the current hold value.
Currently, only custom display scripts have the power to copy values from the real time layer (where the DSP code runs) to a "document" (i e combi/device patch or song).

electrofux

23 Nov 2020

I was stumbling over this when building together a shift register type Turing machine which works nicely but it couldnt save over the melody it created.

Also when i wanted to map buttons to the Lock Function in Beatmap via the Combinators acces to the individual LockXY items to make this function remotable. It worked with an Array of Sample and Hold devices and a weird Thor setup but it couldn't save the value of the locked parameters over.

Btw if the individual Channels Locked XY Positions where available as remote items it would be alot easier.
It would be such a performance monster if you could control all that from a Launchpad. Endless acces to patterns and that to each different channel, i mean it is already super nice with a Launchpad but being able to lock the channels would be so much more powerful.

buddard
RE Developer

23 Nov 2020

electrofux wrote:
23 Nov 2020
I was stumbling over this when building together a shift register type Turing machine which works nicely but it couldnt save over the melody it created.
Is it a Rack Extension?
In that case you'll have to write the generated melody to one or more rt_owner properties, and then make a display script that copies those properties to corresponding doc_owner properties when you tap it.
Btw if the individual Channels Locked XY Positions where available as remote items it would be alot easier.
Ahh, yes, you've mentioned this before! Sorry, I forgot all about it. :oops:

electrofux

23 Nov 2020

No, the first one is a Turing Machine Combinator (a humongously big one, with a shift register and what not). But there i first encountered the issue of random CV values not being persistent.

To elaborate on the Beat Map thing a bit, i actually achieved yesterday what i wanted (having a remotable lock button) but then i realised it doesnt save. Here is what i did:

In my Combinator Beatmaps XY coordinates are doubled and one set goes into a Sample and Hold device. And then the output of the first pair and the sample and hold pair go into a Thor which switches both sets to one set of outputs which then go into the Combinator CV In1/2. This CV is connected in the Programmer to Kick locked Position X/Y.

When the Combinator button is pressed the Drum Channel of Beatmap gets locked, the Sample and Hold device gets a (held) trigger to snapshot and output the current XY position and the Thor switches from the normal XY position to the Sampled and Hold values going into the Combinator. That way you can now change the coordinates but the Drum Channel remains on the frozen values.

BUT when you save the Reason Document and reload it, the sample and hold values are lost and ultimately set to 0/0. If the sample and hold device could save the value it would still send it on reload since it would still be in hold mode.

Essentially you could save CV values that way which would be pretty nifty.

• Information