Noise Engineering: SB 1 or SB 2?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
WasteLand

24 Nov 2020

Reasonable man wrote:
23 Nov 2020
MrFigg wrote:
23 Nov 2020
Got a question...have I totally misunderstood these REs? Up until now I've thought they were modular...like in Eurorack. I just downloaded a couple of them now after reading this thread and I'm starting to wonder if they are actually all synths in their own right. Are they?
Yea Louque put together some lovely pads using the ataraxic Itaritis vereor (with some clever use of the Loith device to smooth out the attack ..if i remeber correctly ).

You have to use eq's after some of the devices to take out some of the more nasty frequencies, a filter after that and usually a delay/ reverb after that ..helps no end . They're pretty raw on their own . And with pads you have to layer 2 or 3 in a combi with a line mixer ..cause they're all mono devices ..and mono pads on their own sound too weird so pads is all about stacking. Beautifull ricjh sounds though if you do it right!
nasty frequencies? i thought that was the purpose... of course a filter or other effects, effects after synths, chaining modules.. effects can also create out of world sounds.

they are indeed mono. but i am used to that.

in way reason is being compared to soft modulars, not strange, but of course reason is more of before-midi control voltage thingy.. but that is already... modular.. modular is in way, tiny racks... of course big difference between a minimoog (also mono..) and moog modular...
difference: no audio rate (i think complex-1 can internally do audio rate??), but still you can use it as a modular, or within a soft modular, like voltage modular, the RRP..

i bit the bullet, bought bundle 2, next sale, or so, bundle 1. and as a filter, i almost forgot, the forgotten convolver, it seemed to me thé combination.

so me i am going to experiment, i already did, and the presets i made, were already so usefull, i couldn't let them go...
Win 10 Pro. R11 suite + R12. Nektar Panorama p1. Ryzen 9 5900X. Cubase Pro 11, Bitwig Studio 4.4, Reaper 6.68, Ableton Live 11 Suite. RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface.

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

https://soundcloud.com/user-873737123

Reasonable man

24 Nov 2020

WasteLand wrote:
24 Nov 2020
Reasonable man wrote:
23 Nov 2020

Yea Louque put together some lovely pads using the ataraxic Itaritis vereor (with some clever use of the Loith device to smooth out the attack ..if i remeber correctly ).

You have to use eq's after some of the devices to take out some of the more nasty frequencies, a filter after that and usually a delay/ reverb after that ..helps no end . They're pretty raw on their own . And with pads you have to layer 2 or 3 in a combi with a line mixer ..cause they're all mono devices ..and mono pads on their own sound too weird so pads is all about stacking. Beautifull ricjh sounds though if you do it right!
nasty frequencies? i thought that was the purpose... of course a filter or other effects, effects after synths, chaining modules.. effects can also create out of world sounds.

in way reason is being compared to soft modulars, not strange, but of course reason is more of before-midi control voltage thingy.. but that is already... modular.. modular is in way, tiny racks... of course big difference between a minimoog (also mono..) and moog modular...
difference: no audio rate (i think complex-1 can internally do audio rate??), but still you can use it as a modular, or within a soft modular, like voltage modular, the RRP..

i bit the bullet, bought bundle 2, next sale, or so, bundle 1. and as a filter, i almost forgot, the forgotten convolver, it seemed to me thé combination.

so me i am going to experiment, i already did, and the presets i made, were already so usefull, i couldn't let them go...
Sounds like your going proper industrial ha. Anyway lots of fun with em and post some sound snippets when you get going ..all new ways of using these devices is facinating to me

Loque

24 Nov 2020

Reasonable man wrote:
24 Nov 2020
WasteLand wrote:
24 Nov 2020

Sounds like your going proper industrial ha. Anyway lots of fun with em and post some sound snippets when you get going ..all new ways of using these devices is facinating to me
Not sure, but maybe its this patch?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7513284
Reason12, Win10

Mataya

24 Nov 2020

Loque wrote:
24 Nov 2020
Reasonable man wrote:
24 Nov 2020

Sounds like a guitar. Very nice.

M

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2020

I wish all these different Noise Engineering synths had different led colors, just to make it easier to tell them apart visually. Or at least have the Synth 1 bundle with green lights, and Synth bundle 2 with red lights. Especially with these names. :lol: It would be so much simpler to remember the "blue" one, or the "purple" one.

Loque

24 Nov 2020

Mataya wrote:
24 Nov 2020
Loque wrote:
24 Nov 2020

Sounds like a guitar. Very nice.

M
I found a few more :-D
viewtopic.php?p=469214#p469214
viewtopic.php?p=456877#p456877
viewtopic.php?p=457182#p457182
viewtopic.php?p=421503#p421503
Reason12, Win10

Reasonable man

24 Nov 2020

In my head i'm always making great strides in sound design ..then i open one of Loque combies and it's always a humbling experience :lol: ....long may it continue ..ha ha

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2020

Man I'm really considering getting the SB 2. Unfortunately I've used all my demos a long time ago. Does anyone here have any tracks, demos to post where the SB 2 synths are showcased?
I've already listened to the Shop demos. But I'd like to hear more if anyone has anything to share.

Mataya

27 Nov 2020

Just playing around with it yesterday and recorded a short jam. Don't know if you like techno, but it works really good on it.

tx
Mataya

Mataya

27 Nov 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Nov 2020
Man I'm really considering getting the SB 2. Unfortunately I've used all my demos a long time ago. Does anyone here have any tracks, demos to post where the SB 2 synths are showcased?
I've already listened to the Shop demos. But I'd like to hear more if anyone has anything to share.

And also this one. It's filled with noise engineering devices. Mostly bundle II. Again, techno. :)

tx
Mataya

Reasonable man

27 Nov 2020

Mataya wrote:
27 Nov 2020

Just playing around with it yesterday and recorded a short jam. Don't know if you like techno, but it works really good on it.

tx
Mataya
:thumbs_up:

WasteLand

28 Nov 2020

Mataya wrote:
27 Nov 2020

tx
Mataya
great sounds, like what you made.

also now creating patches. basimilus iteratis vereor, is pretty capable also for drum sounds. SB 1 will i acquire, maybe in a next sale, SB 2 gives all ready a great range of sounds, an endless range. modulating the basimilus iteratis vereor for drums, in am simple way, gives even more dimension to the sound.
so great stuff. makes working with reason more fun, more experimental, although i did already experimental stuff with it, this is right in to the heart of darkness...
Win 10 Pro. R11 suite + R12. Nektar Panorama p1. Ryzen 9 5900X. Cubase Pro 11, Bitwig Studio 4.4, Reaper 6.68, Ableton Live 11 Suite. RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface.

DJMaytag

01 Dec 2020

These RE's are good enough that I've added a Sinc Iter to my Eurorack setup. Hoping to get a Ataraxic Iteritas at some point in 2021, but they're rare to find under $300. These RE bundles are CHEAP in comparison to the hardware.

That said, I do really hope that they include some of their other modules as RE's at some point in the future. Clep Diaz and Mimetic Digitalis as RE's would be pretty dope utilities to have. If you agree and/or simply love these RE's, PLEASE EMAIL/MESSAGE THE NOISE ENGINEERING FOLKS TO LET THEM KNOW. I drop the hint that more RE's would be good when I see them at Knobcon, but the more people saying this, the better!

DougalDarkly

01 Dec 2020

WasteLand wrote:
28 Nov 2020
also now creating patches. basimilus iteratis vereor, is pretty capable also for drum sounds. SB 1 will i acquire, maybe in a next sale
I really like BI from the Bundle 1 for drums - the addition of the 'Liquid' mode is really useful - it has a built-in pitch sweep attack that works great with the preset AD-DC curve - makes everything sound more 'drummy', especially kicks and percussion.

Here's a track I made earlier this year for a 'one-synth' challenge, using BI to make all the sounds - it's not experimental, but you can hear how the BI works for more 'conventional' drum sounds at least...

WasteLand

02 Dec 2020

DougalDarkly wrote:
01 Dec 2020
WasteLand wrote:
28 Nov 2020
also now creating patches. basimilus iteratis vereor, is pretty capable also for drum sounds. SB 1 will i acquire, maybe in a next sale
I really like BI from the Bundle 1 for drums - the addition of the 'Liquid' mode is really useful - it has a built-in pitch sweep attack that works great with the preset AD-DC curve - makes everything sound more 'drummy', especially kicks and percussion.

Here's a track I made earlier this year for a 'one-synth' challenge, using BI to make all the sounds - it's not experimental, but you can hear how the BI works for more 'conventional' drum sounds at least...

sounds great! (wanted to like it: a spooky soundcloud page..). yes i know how capable the BI is for drums. but i don't use drums lately, although, i am working on something, is it a sketch, will it be a track?, with a very standard drumcomputer (soft synth, 909 clone..).

also i had to choose.. BF costed me... nice additions, all more the experimental stuff. the BI reminds of a vult module how you use it, but it (BI) has a better character, great sounds, i repeat, a nice rythms! o well.. in a next sale.. SB1 will come... i have enough for months of exploring, even the 6 modules, i still call them modules, of noise engineering are a playground, for

yeah, i am playing your track, while i am writing this, some sounds are more than great. mmmh, o well BIV... i can get also do what i want..

great showcase, more than a showcase, it really explores the sound possibilities of one noise engineering module.

a bit of a hidden gem noise engineering, or known, but niche (like most real soft modulars..)?

6 to learn (which by the way goes wel..) and to use.. it is a small modular system in "one" (of course with some modulation, no effects i have used yet, the forgotten convolver i bought specially for them, also other effects will certainly work. don't own much RE's, but enough, that last for a lifetime..).

WasteLand

22 Dec 2020

the question is solved. now in this sale i also bought SB1.

indeed great for drums and farts. me like. a collection of 9 RE's that expands the universe of reason in multiple ways. not cheap, but if you consider what i have spent of softube modular, voltage modular, and even reaktor block packs... well.. and they haven't noise engineering. best of 2 worlds..

recommended, as they say. you also go more crazy with the other RE's, or standard reason devices.. i like that!

Mataya

15 Apr 2021

They'r on SALE now -50%. I got both bundles and both are great. Using bundle 1 more often. I don't know why really.

Get it!!!

Mataya

Loque

15 Apr 2021

Fingers crossed, that they port their new plugins soon to RE:
https://www.noiseengineering.us/blog/aax
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

15 Apr 2021

There's some Noise Engineering oscillators in the MicroFreak these days. Just another reason to buy one.

chimp_spanner

15 Apr 2021

EdGrip wrote:
15 Apr 2021
There's some Noise Engineering oscillators in the MicroFreak these days. Just another reason to buy one.
I'm seriously craving one. It's a terrible time to want one too cos every penny is house saving right now. But once I'm settled and have a studio again I really wanna start building a collection of versatile and/or unique hardware synths as an alternative to all the stuff I currently rent/subscribe to. And also just to find new ways of working. I tried a MicroFreak in a store ages ago and just in the space of a few minutes I knew it was special.

DJMaytag

15 Apr 2021

Loque wrote:
15 Apr 2021
Fingers crossed, that they port their new plugins soon to RE:
https://www.noiseengineering.us/blog/aax
Unless I'm missing something, Desmodus is the only one on AAX that's not an existing RE.

Want to bring your NE RE's to life? Stick a bunch of Tonic Mint CV Pistons outputs on the instrument and any FX you have connected to it.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

15 Apr 2021

Funny, I was going to pull the trigger on these today then Voltage Modular just drop the VM2500 Collection, the sounds from that are so BIG, I know where my money is going, only about 36 quid LOL, silly price.....

https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/vm2500-collection

bharris22

15 Apr 2021

Is SB1 primarily useful for drum and percussion? Although my inclination is to buy both if possible, I don't really have a need for drum and percussion and would pass on SB1 if it is somewhat limited in that way.

DJMaytag

15 Apr 2021

I would go ahead and buy SB2. SB1 has different versions of three RE's, while SB2 has updated versions of those 3 from SB1.

In the hardware versions of these, Basimulus Iteritas is often used as either a dedicated bass drum or a general percussion module (provided enough modulation). Cursus Iteritas and Loquelic more often used as a synth voice, while Manis Iteritas & Ataraxic Iteritas are pretty solid noise oscillators, but can be used as standard oscillators when paired with other modules, depending on how you patch it. I'm hoping to score an Ataraxic Iteritas for under $300, but they're hard to find much cheaper than that (retail price is $369).

Sinc Iter is a pretty basic oscillator. I had one in my Eurorack, but ended up selling it recently.

bharris22

15 Apr 2021

Interesting - thanks for your response. Would you say, then, that the versions of those three REs in SB2 can do everything (and more) than the versions in SB1?

• Information