Sequences 1.4 - With Per-Note Conditions!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Creativemind

01 Dec 2020

So bought Sequences yesterday and the first melody I wanted to do with it required 64 steps lol! I should've realised 32 steps wouldn't be enough.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but is this a limitation of the SDK 'cause you NEED 64 steps. I could see how it could've been implemented with a Right Arrow somewhere the 32 is to scroll it from 33 to 64 steps.

EDIT - So on further play - I can put what I need into Pattern 2 for the other 32 steps. Instead of automating Pattern 2 on, is there a way to play Pattern 1, then Pattern 2?

Also I noticed there is no Cut, just Copy of a Pattern. Cut would be handy as well as Copy.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2020

Creativemind wrote:
01 Dec 2020
So bought Sequences yesterday and the first melody I wanted to do with it required 64 steps lol! I should've realised 32 steps wouldn't be enough.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but is this a limitation of the SDK 'cause you NEED 64 steps. I could see how it could've been implemented with a Right Arrow somewhere the 32 is to scroll it from 33 to 64 steps.

EDIT - So on further play - I can put what I need into Pattern 2 for the other 32 steps. Instead of automating Pattern 2 on, is there a way to play Pattern 1, then Pattern 2?

Also I noticed there is no Cut, just Copy of a Pattern. Cut would be handy as well as Copy.
You could do a copy then a delete.

Anyway this is what I do to automate (chain) patterns from player devices...

buddard
RE Developer

08 Dec 2020

1.4.3 is out, and it fixes a playback bug reported by artotaku, that the first step would sometimes be skipped under specific circumstances.

Loque

08 Dec 2020

Great support! Thanks.
Reason12, Win10

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Dec 2020

buddard wrote:
08 Dec 2020
1.4.3 is out, and it fixes a playback bug reported by artotaku, that the first step would sometimes be skipped under specific circumstances.
fantastic, just yesterday I experienced that bug myself and wrote it off as a glitch!! thanks for the fix!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

challism

10 Dec 2020

I've noticed this bug, too, but I never reported it to Robotic Bean because it was always in conjunction with other players (which aren't stock devices), so I couldn't pin the blame on Sequences. My solution was to adjust the slide knob back about 2 or 3 ticks, and then it wouldn't skip that first note.

So.... I'm going to go ahead and report to you now, Buddard, I've experienced similar issues with Euclidean skipping that first note, too. It's always when other players are in the stack, which is why I never reported it before. The workaround solution for me has always been the same as Sequences, to turn that slide knob back a few ticks, and the first note will always play. Sounds like something similar happening on both devices, so maybe take a look at the code in Euclidean to see if it's doing the same thing Sequences was. And sorry for not reporting this to you earlier. I didn't because it always had other players in the stack, which weren't stock devices. For those who don't beta test, developers usually don't mess around with trying to fix bugs cause/involving other 3rd party device interference (and I don't blame them for that at all).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

RoryM0

22 Jan 2021

Playback modes... looking for a bit of help as I'm running into some confusion here. Up until now I've only been using looped mode (and I've used it a lot, this is a great RE :)) but today I wanted to look at the 1-shot and gated modes.

Reading the manual tells me that the sequence is supposed to only play when I have a midi note being input from the keyboard (I'm using the on-screen keyboard), I have Sequences focused so it's receiving the notes but I'm getting nothing happening from Sequences? What am I missing here?

Using Sequences 1.4.3 and Reason 10.4d4.

****EDIT****

Idiot. I had Sequences focused but obviously I should have had the instrument focused and receiving the midi. I'll leave this here so no one else has to embarrass themselves if they run into this 'error'.

DJMaytag

24 May 2022

Any chances of expanding the timing options, like 1/4 Time and/or changing the rate options to make Sequences play even slower? I believe the slowest I can get it to play is 16 bars. Would love to get it to loop for at least 32 bars.

challism

24 May 2022

DJMaytag wrote:
24 May 2022
Any chances of expanding the timing options, like 1/4 Time and/or changing the rate options to make Sequences play even slower? I believe the slowest I can get it to play is 16 bars. Would love to get it to loop for at least 32 bars.
Yes, slower time resolution options would be welcome, but there is STEPPED mode with the Trigger CV in on the back.

I'm curious what RB plans on doing with that last available tab. They gave us ratchets, conditions and CV outputs. I'm wondering if they might add per note timing slide to that last tab (similar to what LP Kompulsion has).
seq tab.JPG
seq tab.JPG (52.67 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
RoryM0 wrote:
22 Jan 2021
****EDIT****
Idiot. I had Sequences focused but obviously I should have had the instrument focused and receiving the midi. I'll leave this here so no one else has to embarrass themselves if they run into this 'error'.
No shame in this. I'm constantly having similar momentary spells of brain inactivity. It happens to the best of us. Glad to see that you got it figured out.

DJMaytag

24 May 2022

I’m using Sequences to drive VST’s with their own internal sequencers (each note plays a given sequence), so the note from Sequences would need to be held down to keep the sequence playing.

buddard
RE Developer

24 May 2022

We have way too many ideas and way too little time. But we'd love to do another big Sequences update in the future! :D

Regarding slower playback rates, this is a difficult one since it would not be backwards compatible to add new values to the lower range of the parameter. We'd have to add them to the higher end of the range so that 1/1, 1/2 etc would appear after 1/64, which, of course, would suck big time. :(

In retrospect we should have been more generous with rate options from the beginning...

DJMaytag

24 May 2022

What about the drop down that has half time/normal/double time? Same issue?

I wish Reason had more options for clock division and clock I/O like you have in a hardware modular setting.

challism

25 May 2022

buddard wrote:
24 May 2022
We have way too many ideas and way too little time. But we'd love to do another big Sequences update in the future! :D

Regarding slower playback rates, this is a difficult one since it would not be backwards compatible to add new values to the lower range of the parameter. We'd have to add them to the higher end of the range so that 1/1, 1/2 etc would appear after 1/64, which, of course, would suck big time. :(

In retrospect we should have been more generous with rate options from the beginning...
Update: Yay! for the idea of another big Sequences update in the future! <3

Resolution: Thank goodness you were generous with CV inputs. That trigger input in combination with stepped mode is the perfect way to get your desired playback speed. You can even fine tune it and add extra shuffle. I prefer using Robotic Bean Euclid or Elementary because they stay in time with Reason's main transport and don't continue to play when the song is stopped (unlike some LFOs such as Pulsar).

Steedus
Competition Winner

25 May 2022

Yeah maybe a speed toggle like in Synchonous could be the answer?

synchonous-speed.png
synchonous-speed.png (27.06 KiB) Viewed 2485 times

buddard
RE Developer

25 May 2022

Steedus wrote:
25 May 2022
Yeah maybe a speed toggle like in Synchonous could be the answer?

synchonous-speed.png
We have that already :puf_smile:
Screenshot 2022-05-25 at 08.11.24.png
Screenshot 2022-05-25 at 08.11.24.png (87.78 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
And yes, it has the same issue as the Rate knob in that we can't add slower values to it in a good way.

DJMaytag

25 May 2022

buddard wrote:
25 May 2022
Screenshot 2022-05-25 at 08.11.24.png

And yes, it has the same issue as the Rate knob in that we can't add slower values to it in a good way.
Could Quarter Tempo be added to the top of the options, in a way like you mentioned that longer note values would have to be added to the other end of the value knob?
Last edited by DJMaytag on 25 May 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Steedus
Competition Winner

25 May 2022

All good. I didn’t have it so didn’t know. (I just picked it up though!)

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

25 May 2022

DJMaytag wrote:
24 May 2022
FYI: You can get 32 bars, 1/4 + half tempo + condition, it's a bit of pain to program overlapping notes but it works.

DJMaytag

06 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
24 May 2022
I'm curious what RB plans on doing with that last available tab. They gave us ratchets, conditions and CV outputs. I'm wondering if they might add per note timing slide to that last tab (similar to what LP Kompulsion has).
I would LOVE for a 3rd if not more CV options added to this. An independent trigger/gate output, unrelated to the notes being played would be fun to trigger and extra envelope. Adding some more features like this would make this by FAR the best player sequencer for Reason.

If that's not possible/feasible, I would love a dedicated CV generating Player device, based on Sequences. Basically ditch the notes window, and just have 4-8x CV outputs, but with conditions in there somewhere.

EnochLight

06 Jun 2022

1.4.5 just dropped:

Changes in 1.4.5:
  • High negative pattern offsets (stretching a pattern clip far to the left) would cause playback stuttering
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

PhillipOrdonez

06 Jun 2022

I wonder, when you have ratchet notes, these ratcheting notes don't follow the swing parameter, right? They are straight, right?

DJMaytag

06 Jun 2022

Wasn't 1.4.5 a couple weeks ago? According to my Authorizer, I installed it on May 28th.

EnochLight

06 Jun 2022

Yeah it was, and no one posted any change log. Thought people would like to know in this thread.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Re8et
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2022

I just learned how to use per bar conditions!

Still I have to figure out some of the new stuff.
Trying everything is your best bet!

Any news on the Horizon???

ljekio

25 Sep 2022

challism wrote:
24 May 2022

seq tab.JPG
Yes and yes.

• Information