Sequences 1.4 - With Per-Note Conditions!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
buddard
RE Developer
Posts: 873
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stockholm

Post 17 Sep 2020

We've just released Sequences 1.4, a free update that adds per-note trigger conditions to Sequences.
And to celebrate the release, Sequences is on sale through the end of September!

You can Buy/Try/Update Sequences here.

Here's a short introduction video to show you what this update is all about:



This feature was of course heavily inspired by a certain Swedish maker of hardware sequencers, but with some twists of our own.
Each note can have one of the following conditions that decide whether the note will play or not:

Sequences_All_Conditions.png

The conditions are, from left to right in the screen shot:
  • None (the note always plays)
  • Probability, 0-100%
  • Play every A:B, the note should play on the Ath out of every B loops
  • Skip every A:B, play on every loop except for Ath out of B
  • Play First Time Only
  • Skip First Time
  • Play When Fill Is Active, where the Fill state can either be automated or CV controlled
  • Skip When Fill Is Active
  • With Previous Condition: In the latest previous step that contains any non-empty conditions, play if at least one of them was successful
  • Not With Previous Condition: Only play if all the conditions in the previous conditioned step were unsuccessful
  • With Condition In The Same Step: Play the note if any other note in the same step has a successful condition
  • Not With Condition In The Same Step: Play the note only if all other conditions in the same step are unsuccessful
So what can you do with this feature, musically?

You can create periodic, random or controlled variations in your patterns, effectively making them longer, or more "organic".
You can make alternating melodies, or even create variations on a single note (with/without ratchets, for example).

Apart from the Condition lane, we also added a new context menu for selected notes that gives you quick access to mutes, ties, and all the functions in the Tools menu.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
ekss
RE Developer
Posts: 241
Joined: 09 Nov 2015
Location: Stockholm

Post 17 Sep 2020

I'm kind of biased - but must say I LOVE this update <3

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2501
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 17 Sep 2020

AHHHHHHHHH

**To add a bit more detail to that statement :lol: this is *fantastic*. Exactly what I've been looking for in a pattern sequencer in Reason. For drums it's incredible. I can have my kicks drop out for the 4th or 8th repeat. Have probability based ghost notes. Crashes on pattern trigger only. Really fantastic update. Thank you so much! One question - and I might be being really blind, where on the interface is the fill button? I know it's an automatable parameter and has a CV socket but the manual mentions pressing something just under the condition lane or something?

User avatar
Jackjackdaw
Posts: 705
Joined: 12 Jan 2019

Post 17 Sep 2020

This is really great! Thanks once again for the continued development.

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2501
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 17 Sep 2020

Really makes me wanna bust out the Volcas and my MIDI hub :) Breath some new life into those things!

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1770
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 17 Sep 2020

I swore to myself to never buy another RE, but you've convinced to me to do otherwise. Big shouts to you, buddard, for continuously adding more and more epic features into this Player device and come out on top of the competition released around the same time.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 8025
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 17 Sep 2020

Wow! Excellent!
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

Arjanders
Posts: 118
Joined: 30 May 2019

Post 17 Sep 2020

Very cool update!

chimp_spanner wrote:
17 Sep 2020
AHHHHHHHHH

**To add a bit more detail to that statement :lol: this is *fantastic*. Exactly what I've been looking for in a pattern sequencer in Reason. For drums it's incredible. I can have my kicks drop out for the 4th or 8th repeat. Have probability based ghost notes. Crashes on pattern trigger only. Really fantastic update. Thank you so much! One question - and I might be being really blind, where on the interface is the fill button? I know it's an automatable parameter and has a CV socket but the manual mentions pressing something just under the condition lane or something?
Press in the condition lane where you assigned the fill
Image
Last edited by Arjanders on 17 Sep 2020, edited 2 times in total.

Arjanders
Posts: 118
Joined: 30 May 2019

Post 17 Sep 2020

double post
Last edited by Arjanders on 17 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 339
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 17 Sep 2020

Gift that keeps on giving! :o :thumbs_up:
MPC One // A4 Mk1 // OT Mk1 + Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3706
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 17 Sep 2020

Just keeps getting better and better. Brilliant.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.17 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

loopeydoug
Posts: 73
Joined: 11 Oct 2018

Post 17 Sep 2020

This is very cool. Couple that 'depend' condition with probability and you got yourself a party!

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5553
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 17 Sep 2020

Well I think it’s finally time. Card in hand.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
buddard
RE Developer
Posts: 873
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stockholm

Post 17 Sep 2020

Arjanders wrote:
17 Sep 2020
Very cool update!

chimp_spanner wrote:
17 Sep 2020
AHHHHHHHHH

**To add a bit more detail to that statement :lol: this is *fantastic*. Exactly what I've been looking for in a pattern sequencer in Reason. For drums it's incredible. I can have my kicks drop out for the 4th or 8th repeat. Have probability based ghost notes. Crashes on pattern trigger only. Really fantastic update. Thank you so much! One question - and I might be being really blind, where on the interface is the fill button? I know it's an automatable parameter and has a CV socket but the manual mentions pressing something just under the condition lane or something?
Press in the condition lane where you assigned the fill
Image
Yes, this might not be super obvious. :D
But the thought behind it was that we wanted to avoid cluttering the front panel with another "hardware" button, so we opted for an "in-lane" solution.

By the way, if you create a track for Sequences and arm it for automation recording, you can record the automation by clicking in the Fill boxes.

User avatar
ljekio
Posts: 830
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 17 Sep 2020

Great update, a lot of thanks!
The best sequencer just got better.
Now waiting for randomizing notes/velocities/parameters/CV lanes/all of this only :)
(Whisper: and pattern switch by CV input too) ;)

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 2064
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 17 Sep 2020

This update puts Sequences onto an entirely new level! This thing was great before, but now.... WOW!

In case you guys didn't realize it, but with these conditions, there are now infinite number of patterns you can create. You can play one pattern with multiple conditions on multiple notes, per lane, and it will/can play back a different way every time (especially if you use probability).

This device is really well thought out. Great job and thank you for continuing to update/support your products.
ljekio wrote:
17 Sep 2020
Great update, a lot of thanks!
The best sequencer just got better.
Now waiting for randomizing notes/velocities/parameters/CV lanes/all of this only :)
(Whisper: and pattern switch by CV input too) ;)
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for randomization. I think it takes a TON of work to do that correctly. And unless RB is going to charge for the update (not likely), the amount of work they would have to do to implement randomization might not be worth it, from a business standpoint. I would agree that a CV-in pattern switch would be a welcome addition for a future update, though, and it would probably take much less work than randomization.

We can be happy with the current release, though. I know I am very pleased with this latest update.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 1477
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Colombia

Post 17 Sep 2020

Yes!!!!! Yes yes yes yes yes yessssssssssss!!!!!!

User avatar
littlejam
Posts: 263
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 17 Sep 2020

hello,

thank you very much for the additional features update

the rabbit hole just got a bit deeper now

have a blessed day,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

User avatar
ksniod
Posts: 59
Joined: 05 Jan 2019

Post 17 Sep 2020

Great update, thanks!

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1942
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 17 Sep 2020

buddard wrote:
17 Sep 2020
We've just released Sequences 1.4, a free update that adds per-note trigger conditions to Sequences.
And to celebrate the release, Sequences is on sale through the end of September!

You can Buy/Try/Update Sequences here.

Here's a short introduction video to show you what this update is all about:



This feature was of course heavily inspired by a certain Swedish maker of hardware sequencers, but with some twists of our own.
Each note can have one of the following conditions that decide whether the note will play or not:


Sequences_All_Conditions.png


The conditions are, from left to right in the screen shot:
  • None (the note always plays)
  • Probability, 0-100%
  • Play every A:B, the note should play on the Ath out of every B loops
  • Skip every A:B, play on every loop except for Ath out of B
  • Play First Time Only
  • Skip First Time
  • Play When Fill Is Active, where the Fill state can either be automated or CV controlled
  • Skip When Fill Is Active
  • With Previous Condition: In the latest previous step that contains any non-empty conditions, play if at least one of them was successful
  • Not With Previous Condition: Only play if all the conditions in the previous conditioned step were unsuccessful
  • With Condition In The Same Step: Play the note if any other note in the same step has a successful condition
  • Not With Condition In The Same Step: Play the note only if all other conditions in the same step are unsuccessful
So what can you do with this feature, musically?

You can create periodic, random or controlled variations in your patterns, effectively making them longer, or more "organic".
You can make alternating melodies, or even create variations on a single note (with/without ratchets, for example).

Apart from the Condition lane, we also added a new context menu for selected notes that gives you quick access to mutes, ties, and all the functions in the Tools menu.
Thank you.

deeplink
Posts: 121
Joined: 08 Jul 2020
Location: Dubai

Post 17 Sep 2020

Now if only my transport controls on my keyboard could automatically link to the transport controls on selected players and instead of the reason sequencer...

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1942
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 17 Sep 2020

I feel like free updates should have a tip jar option on the page for those who want to contribute.
Just a thought for the Reason Studios Store.

ab459
Posts: 220
Joined: 28 Dec 2018
Location: Minsk Belarus

Post 17 Sep 2020

Cool, thanks.
ljekio wrote:
17 Sep 2020
Now waiting for randomizing notes/velocities/parameters/CV lanes/all of this only :)
+1 :puf_smile:

User avatar
MannequinRaces
Posts: 1382
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 17 Sep 2020

Holy hell. That’s awesome!

User avatar
plesio
Posts: 39
Joined: 19 Sep 2019

Post 17 Sep 2020

This is amazing, buddard !

Big THX for feeding the synthheads ! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
:reason: R11 Suite, what else. I just love it. https://soundcloud.com/user-543016572
Ultimate mixing noob with medical certified lowpass at 9,6 kHz :(
btw: It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Bes, CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest