Spectra Sale

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
strangers

Post 08 Sep 2020

Haven't looked at the shop in a while since I've been content with everything I have. Noticed there's a "mystery" sale for Spectra ($39).

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/

Hard to pass on this although I can't remember why I didn't purchase Spectra during the last sale. What are everyone's thoughts on this RE?

Auryn

Post 08 Sep 2020

I remember checking this out when it was released. It's basically a purely additive synth like parsec or oberon (europa and expanse are also at least part additive btw but also incorporate elements of regular/subtractive synthesis). I was impressed by the sound quality but the implementation of the sample loading feature put me off. Instead of loading a full wav like oberon, expanse or europa can, you can only load 10 (i think) snapshots of a wave and morph between them. This might work well for capturing the timbre of say a horn or violin, but won't work for a drum loop for example or a spoken phrase. As resampling is one of my interests in sound design I was a bit disappointed by this so I skipped it.

When it was first announced the resampling function was new and sounded very exciting, but it took a long time to develop. In the mean time expanse, oberon and europa got updates with sample importing functionality which was better implemented (without the snapshot limitation) so I guess it's thunder was just stolen by the big boys.

In its defense I have to say it does have some functions/parameters that oberon and parsec don't have, and the sound quality is certainly comparable IMHO. In the limited time I spent with it I definitely got some unique sounds out of it. The overall impression I had of the UI was also very favorable. But in the end the sound design options of the other synths drew me away.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
eXpandemonium Refill: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/expandemonium

EdGrip

Post 08 Sep 2020

I think between Europa and Thorn I'm covered for additive, but I enjoy that this synth exists. It's pure AF.

loopeydoug

Post 08 Sep 2020

Specter is the only synth I ever passed on because it was too much synth for me. That thing is in the future.

Loque

Post 09 Sep 2020

Here is somewhere already a thread about it. Very informative.

I think the morphable filter, spectra and harmonic envelope are outstanding unique.

Edit: Check this out:
search.php?keywords=spectra&terms=all&a ... mit=Search
Last edited by Loque on 09 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

Mataya

Post 09 Sep 2020

Filters are great and when you start making sounds with it and realise you got this great sound and you didn't use any effects(because there isn't any in the synth), that's when you get impressed by it. At least I was.

I think the interface is unnecessary complicated. The front panel is ok I guess, but when you go into the menu, it's feels like Korg wavestation or something like that.

Did I say the filters are great? :p

M

Flavolous

Post 09 Sep 2020

I think I'm going to have to jump on this. This synth just looks so fascinating and different to the other additive synths I have. And I am quite interested by this unique way of sampling (snapshots) that was mentioned above!

Billy

Post 09 Sep 2020

I think I passed on it as it looks really heavy, not sure if my old rack could hold it with all them screws :lol:
:ignition: :reason: :refill: :re: :rebirth: :PUF_figure: :nektar: :mac: :EiEPro: :Alesis Mk2:

Loque

Post 09 Sep 2020

Flavolous wrote:
09 Sep 2020
I think I'm going to have to jump on this. This synth just looks so fascinating and different to the other additive synths I have. And I am quite interested by this unique way of sampling (snapshots) that was mentioned above!
Maybe i should add, that you need to RTFM, well at least i needed it ;)
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

MannequinRaces

Post 09 Sep 2020

Very tempting... must... resist, lol.

Flavolous

Post 09 Sep 2020

Loque wrote:
09 Sep 2020
Flavolous wrote:
09 Sep 2020
Maybe i should add, that you need to RTFM, well at least i needed it ;)
Didn't you find the video tutorials any use? Or are they just enough to get you started? I'm not an avid reader but willing to dabble where foreign controls exist :D

TritoneAddiction

Post 09 Sep 2020

I want to like this, but listening through the Patch Preview video and I just don't hear a very strong character in this synth. I mean it sounds alright, but I do find it a little bit bland sounding. The filter especially. Of course ever since I got to play around with the filter section in Legend, every other soft synth filter sound tame in comparison. The Legend ruined a lot of other synths for me. :lol: Damn you Synapse, I can no longer believe the old saying "You can do that in Thor". And those that still say you can, you're wrong. :)

Back to Spectra, maybe the secret is to make your own sounds? In that case I'm screwed.

Mataya

Post 09 Sep 2020

Filters are in no way as the one in Legend. They are "spectral". :) Very Flexible, they just lack the drive and dirty sometimes. You can draw two filter responses and morph between them. Great for sculpting nice sounds. So they'r not just useful for subtractive, which makes sense since it's an additive synth.
And those that say they don't sound good are just wrong. :)

Best filters I've heard in Reason are the ones in Viking II. My favorite synth ever.

M
Last edited by Mataya on 11 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Flavolous

Post 11 Sep 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Sep 2020
I want to like this, but listening through the Patch Preview video and I just don't hear a very strong character in this synth. I mean it sounds alright, but I do find it a little bit bland sounding. The filter especially. Of course ever since I got to play around with the filter section in Legend, every other soft synth filter sound tame in comparison. The Legend ruined a lot of other synths for me. :lol: Damn you Synapse, I can no longer believe the old saying "You can do that in Thor". And those that still say you can, you're wrong. :)

Back to Spectra, maybe the secret is to make your own sounds? In that case I'm screwed.
My understanding is that the secret is in the tweakability, so in turn you probably can make presets sound very interesting in theory. Yet to test this theory...

• Information