Anyone developing a mixer?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Murf
RE Developer

23 Jul 2023

DaveyG wrote:
23 Jul 2023
@Murf. Mate, make the mixer you want to make then put it in the shop.

Then you can think about making another one if you want, although if you try to please everyone in this thread you'll end up making an 8 seater tractor with low profile road tyres and go faster stripes.
Hehe thanks for the support though I really like the idea of a single stereo channel 1U strip mixer but it has to be useful and I need help there as I am not an audio engineer nor a musician.
Murf

selig
RE Developer

24 Jul 2023

Murf wrote:
23 Jul 2023
Hehe thanks for the support though I really like the idea of a single stereo channel 1U strip mixer but it has to be useful and I need help there as I am not an audio engineer nor a musician.
Murf
I'll throw in my 2 cents and say I've always been intrigued by the idea of a channel strip plugin, but never found a real use for them in my workflow. Its one of those things that sounds like the obvious need to me but never actually gets used on any projects. I'll have to think to figure out why that may be. In an "empty" DAW like Pro Tools, they MAY make sense - but Reason is different as it already includes a full channel strip for every source.
I don't know the current general consensus on the subject, but at one time they were all the rage and then almost as suddenly, not.
In writing this I realized I assumed you were describing a channel strip, but now wonder if it's something different?
Selig Audio, LLC

Arpeg
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2023

Some visual ideas.. Patching about in MS Paint
What fits, what doesn't etc

1U, 2 AUX, dual Pan, HPF, Bass, Mid, Treble, Gate, signal led - returns with Tilt
5 Channel. Do-able? Worth it?
M5 Mixtrack.png
M5 Mixtrack.png (92.42 KiB) Viewed 22154 times
2U Combinator based
Micromix A and B 2.png
Micromix A and B 2.png (771.51 KiB) Viewed 22154 times
3U EQ visual idea using the LAB:ONE's Equila EQ + Executioner for Crossfader
5 Channel Micromix AB crossfader C 2.png
5 Channel Micromix AB crossfader C 2.png (467.51 KiB) Viewed 22154 times

sdst
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2023

sadly the combinator 2 has a ridiculous limitation ( why not let people have fun?)

anyone would have made their mixer

Murf
RE Developer

29 Jul 2023

selig wrote:
24 Jul 2023
Murf wrote:
23 Jul 2023
Murf
I'll throw in my 2 cents and say I've always been intrigued by the idea of a channel strip plugin, but never found a real use for them in my workflow. Its one of those things that sounds like the obvious need to me but never actually gets used on any projects. I'll have to think to figure out why that may be. In an "empty" DAW like Pro Tools, they MAY make sense - but Reason is different as it already includes a full channel strip for every source.
I don't know the current general consensus on the subject, but at one time they were all the rage and then almost as suddenly, not.
In writing this I realized I assumed you were describing a channel strip, but now wonder if it's something different?
Yes correct it was definitely a strip we were thinking of, but I have gone cold on the idea, mainly for the reasons (pun intended) you describe.

Murf
RE Developer

29 Jul 2023

Arpeg wrote:
28 Jul 2023

1U, 2 AUX, dual Pan, HPF, Bass, Mid, Treble, Gate, signal led - returns with Tilt
M5 Mixtrack.png

2U Combinator based
Micromix A and B 2.png

Some nice ideas here but you highlight just how many different ways of doing this there are.

I am currently prototyping a 2U 8:2 stereo mixer with 4 aux sends, basically a cross between the Reason 6:2 and 14:2 mixers.

One idea I am toying with is extending the UI via selectable panels, so I dont have to cram all the controls into such a tight space.

This should allow for some extras like effects etc, any thoughts?

Here is a prototype artwork (no selectable panels in this yet though)
mix82_mockup.png
mix82_mockup.png (251.21 KiB) Viewed 22091 times
mix82_rear_mockup.png
mix82_rear_mockup.png (617.79 KiB) Viewed 22091 times
Artwork taken from Reason.
Murf.

_andreypetr_

30 Jul 2023

_andreypetr_ wrote:
27 Feb 2023

CVtrol.jpeg

Hello! I'm curious if there some people want CV mixer as much as I do...

DJMaytag

30 Jul 2023

_andreypetr_ wrote:
30 Jul 2023
_andreypetr_ wrote:
27 Feb 2023

CVtrol.jpeg

That and a VCA specifically for CV would be dope.

Arpeg
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2023

Murf wrote:
29 Jul 2023
Arpeg wrote:
28 Jul 2023

M5 Mixtrack.png

2U Combinator based
Micromix A and B 2.png

Some nice ideas here but you highlight just how many different ways of doing this there are.

I am currently prototyping a 2U 8:2 stereo mixer with 4 aux sends, basically a cross between the Reason 6:2 and 14:2 mixers.

One idea I am toying with is extending the UI via selectable panels, so I dont have to cram all the controls into such a tight space.

This should allow for some extras like effects etc, any thoughts?

Here is a prototype artwork (no selectable panels in this yet though)
mix82_mockup.png
mix82_rear_mockup.png
Artwork taken from Reason.
Murf.
Yes, 'many ways to skin a Cat' Sorry for the random image drop but the purpose was to prompt ideas only. Some live performance related and Front panel only I guess as my 1U and 3U images would be CV jam packed on the rear.
I did a 1U as you toyed with the idea and loaded it up with possible useful options per channel.

I like your 8:2 design. I think this is the best idea between the 6:2/14:2 Keeping the 4 Aux, 8 channel not 6 in a 2U not 4U like the 14:2 could be highly used without extension panels.
So adding them would be really cool. Could you make the select extension button(s) remote override for the obvious quick selection via midi controller?

I don't want to add any requests much as I've kind of done that in my uploaded images but, quick performance related, the HPF/Gate knobs or buttons are useful tools although there are a few ways to add these effects so no worries.

I'm up for more CV's if possible.

Great work and thanks for taking the time and effort

geronimo

30 Jul 2023

[/quote]

[/quote]

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... volt-sl-1/

Murf
RE Developer

30 Jul 2023

Arpeg wrote:
30 Jul 2023

Yes, 'many ways to skin a Cat' Sorry for the random image drop but the purpose was to prompt ideas only. Some live performance related and Front panel only I guess as my 1U and 3U images would be CV jam packed on the rear.
I did a 1U as you toyed with the idea and loaded it up with possible useful options per channel.

I like your 8:2 design. I think this is the best idea between the 6:2/14:2 Keeping the 4 Aux, 8 channel not 6 in a 2U not 4U like the 14:2 could be highly used without extension panels.
So adding them would be really cool. Could you make the select extension button(s) remote override for the obvious quick selection via midi controller?

I don't want to add any requests much as I've kind of done that in my uploaded images but, quick performance related, the HPF/Gate knobs or buttons are useful tools although there are a few ways to add these effects so no worries.

All of it is remote-able, as long as I set then up in the code. I think there is a limit of about 200 though, so I might not be able to cover everything especially if I extend to more controls for things like effects etc.

Murf

_andreypetr_

30 Jul 2023

geronimo wrote:
30 Jul 2023
[/quote]

[/quote]

This is not even close

Arpeg
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2023

Murf wrote:
30 Jul 2023
Arpeg wrote:
30 Jul 2023

All of it is remote-able, as long as I set then up in the code. I think there is a limit of about 200 though, so I might not be able to cover everything especially if I extend to more controls for things like effects etc.

Murf
Ok cool, you do what you can, look forward to seeing the extension panels. Is DJMaytag, ok with this.. Having 4 Aux in a smaller unit is cool like.

Excellent Murf

Arpeg
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2023

_andreypetr_ wrote:
30 Jul 2023
geronimo wrote:
30 Jul 2023
[/quote]

This is not even close
[/quote]
I wasn't really aware of Volt SL-1, may trial it. Good bundle price, too.

I presume you've seen most or all RE's? Like Hamu etc

_andreypetr_

30 Jul 2023

Arpeg wrote:
30 Jul 2023
_andreypetr_ wrote:
30 Jul 2023

This is not even close
[/quote]
I wasn't really aware of Volt SL-1, may trial it. Good bundle price, too.

I presume you've seen most or all RE's? Like Hamu etc
[/quote]

I've seen them all

selig
RE Developer

30 Jul 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
30 Jul 2023
_andreypetr_ wrote:
30 Jul 2023

Not specifically for CV, but Selig Gain was designed to work the same for audio and CV. So there IS a VCA specifically for CV if you don’t mind it combined with a VCA specifically for audio.
I often use Selig Gain as an automatable CV “depth” control when the back panel CV trim doesn’t cut the mustard. Also useful for CV inversion!
Selig Audio, LLC

_andreypetr_

30 Jul 2023

selig wrote:
30 Jul 2023
DJMaytag wrote:
30 Jul 2023

Not specifically for CV, but Selig Gain was designed to work the same for audio and CV. So there IS a VCA specifically for CV if you don’t mind it combined with a VCA specifically for audio.
I often use Selig Gain as an automatable CV “depth” control when the back panel CV trim doesn’t cut the mustard. Also useful for CV inversion!
Yes, I own Gain and love it! But the problem that when I want to set up complicated custom synth with a lot of CV controls, even combinator 2 is not enough. Selig Gain has too much extra knobs and parameters that somehow ends up that RRP runs out of slots for automation.

I just want to have simple device for multiple CVs with labelling.

I even tried to learn rack extension programming but didn't have enough time and stopped it. I believe even chatGPT could write that simple code, the main problem is about compiling and UI.

Creativemind

30 Jul 2023

selig wrote:
30 Aug 2020
I toyed with this design on a thread a while back…
The EQ section can be individually switched to filters instead of shelves, four sends per channel, polarity invert on each channel, direct outs for each channel, CV for level/pan/EQ, scribble strips for each channel + returns, and a switchable master insert (and yes, I know it's missing a tape strip on the front panel!):
A stereo / mono interleave button on all channels would be a good addition too like on the Cakewalk main stock mixer.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

DJMaytag

31 Jul 2023

selig wrote:
30 Jul 2023
DJMaytag wrote:
30 Jul 2023

Well, when I search "VCA" in the Prop Shop, that isn't a result that comes back. Neither of the results come back as very usable VCA options, TBH.

selig
RE Developer

01 Aug 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
31 Jul 2023
selig wrote:
30 Jul 2023

Well, when I search "VCA" in the Prop Shop, that isn't a result that comes back. Neither of the results come back as very usable VCA options, TBH.
Maybe I misunderstood the CV part - do you want a way to run CV through a VCA (Selig Gain does this), or do you want a to CONTROL a VCA with CV?
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

01 Aug 2023

Creativemind wrote:
30 Jul 2023
A stereo / mono interleave button on all channels would be a good addition too like on the Cakewalk main stock mixer.
I tried to find out what this feature does, to no avail - can you explain it?
“Interleave” in the context of stereo is a file format where the two channels of a stereo file appear as one (interleaved). This can’t be what you’re explaining here, right?
Selig Audio, LLC

DJMaytag

01 Aug 2023

selig wrote:
01 Aug 2023
Maybe I misunderstood the CV part - do you want a way to run CV through a VCA (Selig Gain does this), or do you want a to CONTROL a VCA with CV?
I want to control a CV with another CV.

Creativemind

02 Aug 2023

selig wrote:
01 Aug 2023
Creativemind wrote:
30 Jul 2023
“Interleave” in the context of stereo is a file format where the two channels of a stereo file appear as one (interleaved). This can’t be what you’re explaining here, right?
It's just what it's called in Cakewalk. It's a stereo on / off toggle button, so off makes it mono.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

DJMaytag

02 Aug 2023

Creativemind wrote:
02 Aug 2023
selig wrote:
01 Aug 2023

It's just what it's called in Cakewalk. It's a stereo on / off toggle button, so off makes it mono.
The same thing is accomplished in Reason with the width knob in the SSL. The only thing is that the resulting audio becomes a dual mono signal, not a single mono signal.

selig
RE Developer

02 Aug 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
02 Aug 2023
Creativemind wrote:
02 Aug 2023

The same thing is accomplished in Reason with the width knob in the SSL. The only thing is that the resulting audio becomes a dual mono signal, not a single mono signal.
The cool thing about Reason is you can (at least in most cases) quickly turn it back into a single channel mono signal!
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information