Brand new Reason Studios Instrument : Friktion Strings

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
sonicbyte

25 Aug 2020

Although I didn't test it yet I usually compose and use most high-end sample string libraries for my cinematic / orchestral songs and I wasn't much impressed with the teaser... but this demo song sounds pretty good, I could imagine to mix with a real sample library and it could be a really nice addition. Specially to give an unique character or a sound design touch...

<a href="https://soundcloud.com/reasonstudios">Reason Studios</a> · <a href="" title="A Curious Journey" target="_blank" style="color: #cccccc; text-decoration: none;">A Curious Journey</a>

Interesting

Chi-Individual

25 Aug 2020

So I take it that soon there will be a PM RE for Brass and then Winds coming down the pipe!?!?

miscend

25 Aug 2020

robotgard wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Rather than fix bugs or add features that we are waiting for years, they released another RE.
Yep true. I even said on the earlier Friktion thread we have too many instruments as it is. But I don't think they can help themselves sometimes, at their heart RS are an instrument company, synths are their bread and butter.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

25 Aug 2020

miscend wrote:
25 Aug 2020
robotgard wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Rather than fix bugs or add features that we are waiting for years, they released another RE.
Yep true. I even said on the earlier Friktion thread we have too many instruments as it is. But I don't think they can help themselves sometimes, at their heart RS are an instrument company, synths are their bread and butter.
This is true, we are a company that makes sweet devices at heart.

But a note, and I've said this before, no developer who could work on Reason are working on REs. Friktion's made by Peter (co-founder and jokingly self-proclaimed Lord of Algorithms), Ludvig (product designer), Andy (graphics and design) and myself. :)

Kilsane

25 Aug 2020

in any case nice job I think it sounds pretty good (I really like the erhu demo)

miscend

25 Aug 2020

sonicbyte wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Although I didn't test it yet I usually compose and use most high-end sample string libraries for my cinematic / orchestral songs and I wasn't much impressed with the teaser... but this demo song sounds pretty good, I could imagine to mix with a real sample library and it could be a really nice addition. Specially to give an unique character or a sound design touch...

<a href="https://soundcloud.com/reasonstudios">Reason Studios</a> · <a href="" title="A Curious Journey" target="_blank" style="color: #cccccc; text-decoration: none;">A Curious Journey</a>

Interesting
I think that already sounds better than even a lot of sampled strings, apart from maybe expensive high end string libraries. I'd take that over Miroslav and even Garritan. There are variations in quality even with sampled strings, they don't all sound good, for example the Zampled Reason Strings refill sounds awful but was recorded in a commercial space with pro players.

sonicbyte

25 Aug 2020

miscend wrote:
25 Aug 2020
sonicbyte wrote:
25 Aug 2020

Interesting
I think that already sounds better than even a lot of sampled strings, apart from maybe expensive high end string libraries. I'd take that over Miroslav and even Garritan. There are variations in quality even with sampled strings, they don't all sound good, for example the Zampled Reason Strings refill sounds awful but was recorded in a commercial space with pro players.
Yeah, I mean real high-end Kontakt libraries like Cinematic studio strings, Berlin strings, etc

EdwardKiy

25 Aug 2020

Very impressive synth, stayed my hand from setting Mattias on fire for the non-sequencer update.

Will we get one for the brass section and will this be included in the R12-Suite?

And on a separate note: will the A-list guitars ever be? They seem overpriced as they are atm, missing articulations and not being able to do slides. Maybe an update for them? They are pretty close to being good.
Attachments
giphy.mp4
(255.88 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

25 Aug 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Very impressive synth, stayed my hand from setting Mattias on fire for the non-sequencer update.

Will we get one for the brass section and will this be included in the R12-Suite?

And on a separate note: will the A-list guitars ever be? They seem overpriced as they are atm, missing articulations and not being able to do slides. Maybe an update for them? They are pretty close to being good.
Please don't set me on fire :(

There are currently no firm plans for a Reason 12 Suite at all. We're kind of still evaluating Reason 11 Suite. Regardless of that decision, there won't be a Reason 12 this year. Regarding the A-List products, they were (co-)developed by UJAM and will not be included in Reason Suite. :)

challism

25 Aug 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Very impressive synth, stayed my hand from setting Mattias on fire
Yes, please refrain from igniting Mattias.

This thing better damn well have a sample of Ryan's banjo!

BTW, who called this being a modeling device in the other thread about this mystery instrument? Whoever that was (I'm guessing it was Logue, but I'm too lazy to verify)... GOOD CALL!

This synth looks AMAZING in that 10 minute video Ryan put together. Wow! Love it! Can't wait to try this out.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Lov2sing

25 Aug 2020

:D This is what I been waiting for. It has the feel of the Yamaha VL1 & EX5. If you were not familiar with those boards you missed the beginning of Yamaha and Physical modeling; however, this is the essence of what PM is suppose to be. I only tried the violin and the flute yet I must say this thing is awesome. Can't wait to buy it, but for now the 30 day trial is going to feed my needs. Thank you RS. Now work on a new combinator and studio B mixing board, being you have revamped some of the older gear such as drums, bass and piano to name a few. One can wish.

Again thank you RS.
We make music for a reason

Steedus
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2020

Seems like a great device. Good job! I personally don't like the look though 🧐 maybe it's the just the colours.

I'd absolutely love a PM instrument dedicated to tuned percussion (similar to Chromophone)

sinusfiction

25 Aug 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
25 Aug 2020
[There are currently no firm plans for a Reason 12 Suite at all. We're kind of still evaluating Reason 11 Suite. Regardless of that decision, there won't be a Reason 12 this year.
Thanks for letting us know!
New album Who Needs Privacy on Spotify or Soundcloud

chimp_spanner

25 Aug 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
25 Aug 2020
EdwardKiy wrote:
25 Aug 2020

There are currently no firm plans for a Reason 12 Suite at all. We're kind of still evaluating Reason 11 Suite. Regardless of that decision, there won't be a Reason 12 this year. Regarding the A-List products, they were (co-)developed by UJAM and will not be included in Reason Suite. :)
As long as there's a Reason something I'll be happy enough. I know I always say it but despite all my other options the Reason DAW is my go to. Actually can't believe how much music I've written in it over the last few years.

Loque

25 Aug 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Loque wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Yea, i just saw it in the video and wanted to quickly have a look into the manual, what other models it has, but there is no manual. Ofc physical modelling opens a new door into sounds and clearly that was one thing that was missing in Reason (stock).

I will give it a try and check how it sounds. Maybe its a good addition to my REsonans, AAS stuff, some simple Carplus Strong synths and some libraries.
Yes there is, it's at the bottom of the shop product page. :)

Here's a direct link: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/medi ... Manual.pdf
Thanks, got it. But the info i was mostly interested in was not in the manual :-P

It just says:
Type (Resonator Select)
And a bit of some basic info. Not the types itself. Well, maybe i need to try it to get my answer...or maybe someone already did and can give some info here about the types?
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

25 Aug 2020

I like the look and the colour scheme! :)

Loque

25 Aug 2020

Steedus wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Seems like a great device. Good job! I personally don't like the look though 🧐 maybe it's the just the colours.

I'd absolutely love a PM instrument dedicated to tuned percussion (similar to Chromophone)
Isnt that stuff in Kong physically modeled? Can it be called that?
Reason12, Win10

Steedus
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2020

Loque wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Steedus wrote:
25 Aug 2020

Ahh yeah but I was thinking more like marimbas, bells, glocks, frame/talking drums etc.

selig
RE Developer

25 Aug 2020

Here's an example song I did with Friction, showing the string and also plucked sounds, which I really like a lot!
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

25 Aug 2020

Steedus wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Loque wrote:
25 Aug 2020

Ahh yeah but I was thinking more like marimbas, bells, glocks, frame/talking drums etc.
For Marimbas, Bells, Glocks, Frame i would take a look into FM synthesis. Maybe i should give Kong another go here too. The bad thing about Kong's stuff is, that they are not really "instruments", just one hit drum/percussion things. I mentioned quite a few times to extract those things and Kongs fx to have them outside as real instruments and fx.
Reason12, Win10

colonel_mustard

25 Aug 2020

Possibly a bit rich for my blood and/or needs, but I love this 'Fiddling Around' demo. I don't think many hearing it blind would think 'physical modelling'. Sounds like the real deal to me, albeit whacked with heavy compression (as fitting with the country style):

Well done team :)

rgdaniel

25 Aug 2020

Sounds great! I love it! Take my money!!
[checks price]
Wait, what?

PhillipOrdonez

25 Aug 2020

Add this to 11 suite. I bet a lot of people on the reason 10 fence camp would find it an argument to upgrade to the suite, and us already on suite will feel loved and pampered 🤗❤️

Tiny Montgomery

25 Aug 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Add this to 11 suite. I bet a lot of people on the reason 10 fence camp would find it an argument to upgrade to the suite, and us already on suite will feel loved and pampered 🤗❤️
Hear hear. Must admit I thought that would be the plan this morning. I think this will be great for more animated plucks etc, I like the plucks in Selig's track. That being said there is a similar device in Ableton which I barely use although this RE does appear to have more functionality by some distance, although I've only seen the videos.

Loque

25 Aug 2020

rgdaniel wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Sounds great! I love it! Take my money!!
[checks price]
Wait, what?
Comparable products like the AAS stuff is normally around 180€...Ok, they have quite regular sales around 80€ and with a bit of luck you can get the full patches bundle around 120-150€. And you can get upgrade/crossgrades quite cheap from time to time.
I got a sample library for 100€ which contains nearly everything, but that thing is a PITA.
Resonans is around 130€ atm (whaaaat?).

So it is not too expensive in the end. IMO. But the price is always relative in the viewpoint.
Reason12, Win10

• Information