Player Question part 2

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
HeartbreakOne

21 Aug 2020

I'd like to piggyback on the "Player Question" post from earlier regarding converting polyphonic input to monophonic output, with a different angle.

The idea for me is simple:
I make a combinator with an ID8 playing a bass guitar and another ID8 playing a piano, split in the middle of my keyboard with bass guitar on left hand and piano on right hand.

I would prefer to make the bass guitar device monophonic so when I hold the sustain pedal down and play more bass notes, they don't overlap.

The Korg Triton had a nifty function in it's combi menu that allowed one to "force" polyphonic to monophonic AND vice versa per track.

My idea is a player that you can place above the desired device that will make all poly input mono. Is this something that is possible, or am I dreaming to big?
TO LET THE WORLD BE

challism

21 Aug 2020

I don't think there is a Player device that does this on it's own. If there is, it seems like Delta would be the one to do it (I still don't have Delta and I'm getting tired of hearing myself say that... probably going to buy it in the next sale). Something like you are wanting would probably need to be built as a Combi. something like this:
MonoBassPolyPiano.zip
(4.62 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
You could even throw a Dual Arp after the bass' CVPT and before the bass ID8, for some more interesting variation to the bass line.
MonoBassPolyPiano2.zip
(4.92 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
CVPT by Lectric Panda outputs are split into (up to) 16 different mono channels. You could send channel one output to CVPT input above your ID8 bass and get mono. But I don't think this is an ideal solution, as CVPT is going to be missing many of the notes being played (taking away any cool legato effects) as it most likely just sends the root (or lowest bass) note thru channel one.

But why not just make it easy and use Subtractor (or any other instrument with mono/poly options) with poly set to 1? Using Monotone would certainly solve this problem for you.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Sterioevo

21 Aug 2020

To state the obvious.
Is it not possible to achieve the desired end result by making the bass note a single voice with required legato settings - i.e. pretty much any synth other than the ID8?
I wouldn't be surprised to see a player with this functionality pop up though...

HeartbreakOne

21 Aug 2020

challism wrote:
21 Aug 2020
I don't think there is a Player device that does this on it's own. If there is, it seems like Delta would be the one to do it (I still don't have Delta and I'm getting tired of hearing myself say that... probably going to buy it in the next sale). Something like you are wanting would probably need to be built as a Combi. something like this: MonoBassPolyPiano.zip

CVPT by Lectric Panda outputs are split into (up to) 16 different mono channels. You could send channel one output to CVPT input above your ID8 bass and get mono. But I don't think this is an ideal solution, as CVPT is going to be missing many of the notes being played (taking away any cool legato effects) as it most likely just sends the root (or lowest bass) note thru channel one.

But why not just make it easy and use Subtractor (or any other instrument with mono/poly options) with poly set to 1? Using Monotone would certainly solve this problem for you.
Thank you for the response and all points are considered. I have been using devices like the 'NN-XT' with poly set to 1 as you have recommended. It's a bit of a task, because you have to select all the samples in the remote editor and then set to 1. I was only hoping for a more elegant way of making poly mono (with the option to turn it off also) as would be possible with a dedicated 'player'. I checked the 'Delta Midi Computer' manual, and there is no option for this function. I was just throwing it out there. Maybe someone is looking for a player idea for development. Here's one, on the house! I'd pay for it.
TO LET THE WORLD BE

challism

21 Aug 2020

Yeah, it's definitely a niche which needs to be filled. Maybe one of the devs will jump on the idea.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Italophile

22 Aug 2020

HeartbreakOne wrote:
21 Aug 2020
I would prefer to make the bass guitar device monophonic so when I hold the sustain pedal down and play more bass notes, they don't overlap.
I assume you have turned Sustain Pedal input off for the bass in the combinator?
Combi.png

HeartbreakOne

22 Aug 2020

Italophile wrote:
22 Aug 2020
HeartbreakOne wrote:
21 Aug 2020
I assume you have turned Sustain Pedal input off for the bass in the combinator?
Combi.png
The concept is to keep the bass guitar note(s) playing while the sustain pedal is down, but as new notes are played they don't overlap.
TO LET THE WORLD BE

Italophile

23 Aug 2020

HeartbreakOne wrote:
22 Aug 2020
The concept is to keep the bass guitar note(s) playing while the sustain pedal is down, but as new notes are played they don't overlap.
I believe what you are describing is known as voice stealing which is what a synthesizer does when it runs out of voices (notes of polyphony), but continues to receive note on commands.

This cannot be implemented in a player device as these only affect incoming MIDI notes, not how the synth voices them. The best a player device could do would be to ensure there were no legato notes.

HeartbreakOne

23 Aug 2020

Thanks to everyone who took a moment to share their perspective. I've taken all points into account. After giving it more thought, the logistics of a 'player' device that would output monophonic data would still not be able to account for the sustain pedal activating the inherent polyphony of the device it's attached to. Meaning that if the 'player' were outputting note on/off data in a way that would make the note data monophonic, the sustain pedal being pressed would still cause each note played to overlap if the polyphony of the device is greater than 1. So this is not possible. Am I thinking correctly here?
TO LET THE WORLD BE

buddard
RE Developer

23 Aug 2020

HeartbreakOne wrote:
23 Aug 2020
Thanks to everyone who took a moment to share their perspective. I've taken all points into account. After giving it more thought, the logistics of a 'player' device that would output monophonic data would still not be able to account for the sustain pedal activating the inherent polyphony of the device it's attached to. Meaning that if the 'player' were outputting note on/off data in a way that would make the note data monophonic, the sustain pedal being pressed would still cause each note played to overlap if the polyphony of the device is greater than 1. So this is not possible. Am I thinking correctly here?
Yes, that's correct. The player will never see the sustain pedal messages, it only receives note on/off message. MIDI CC's are all sent directly to the instrument.

HeartbreakOne

23 Aug 2020

buddard wrote:
23 Aug 2020
HeartbreakOne wrote:
23 Aug 2020
Yes, that's correct. The player will never see the sustain pedal messages, it only receives note on/off message. MIDI CC's are all sent directly to the instrument.
Thank you. I will consider this case closed.
TO LET THE WORLD BE

aslam0010

02 Sep 2020

Hi there,

I recently purchased the Studiologic SLP3-D pedal. I am using this with propellerhead reason but on the piano sounds in the DAW a lot of the time the pedals don't function? Can you please help me ? I am using the SL88 Studio keyboard as a midi keyboard, there are 4 inputs on the back for pedals, "Sustain, sustain, continuous, and universal" , I have tried all 4. How can I get all 3 pedals working ?

Regards,

Aslam

• Information