Sugar Bytes REs...anybody still use 'em?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Aug 2020

Some of the first REs ever to reach the Shop back in the day. Anybody here still use them? What sort of stuff do you use them for?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Aosta

12 Aug 2020

I remember when they came out they were not the most welcomed REs..
If I remember correctly they were rushed ports of individual effects from their Turnado VST. I remember someone pointing out that if all the Turnado effects were ported over the collection of REs would be over $1000 compared to the full VST for around $100 with the REs having less functionality.
They are good effects but I never bought one as I just felt it was a bit of a cash grab by SB feeding off users new world of REs.
I'm sure a lot of users bought a lot of useless stuff in the early days.
Tend the flame

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Aug 2020

Aosta wrote:
12 Aug 2020
I remember when they came out they were not the most welcomed REs..
If I remember correctly they were rushed ports of individual effects from their Turnado VST. I remember someone pointing out that if all the Turnado effects were ported over the collection of REs would be over $1000 compared to the full VST for around $100 with the REs having less functionality.
They are good effects but I never bought one as I just felt it was a bit of a cash grab by SB feeding off users new world of REs.
I'm sure a lot of users bought a lot of useless stuff in the early days.
Yeah. I avoided them when they came out but for some reason over the years I’ve accumulated them through bundles etc and ended up with all six. Just noticed them sitting in the browser today. I think the main problem with them Is getting them to sync properly.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

12 Aug 2020

I think Aosta has hit that one right on the head,
although it was looking like a few good vsts might end up having RE ports done, in the end the price was to high for the functionality and the vsts made better sense to buy once we got access to them.

Maybe things will change now the world has access to REs via RRP but I wouldn't bet on it.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

12 Aug 2020

Strictly special FX!

They are great for what they are, but they aren't the most malleable right now.

Loque

12 Aug 2020

I got a few with some Rig and never ever used them. I tried, they sucked, and i forgot about them. Since than i have SugarBytes=Crap in my mind.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Aug 2020

Loque wrote:
12 Aug 2020
I got a few with some Rig and never ever used them. I tried, they sucked, and i forgot about them. Since than i have SugarBytes=Crap in my mind.
The GUIs don’t help either.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Faastwalker

12 Aug 2020

They make some bloody good iOS Apps. Being iOS they are cheap as well.

Never bought any of the RE's but I had a lot of fun with SB Vocodizer on TRY.

kinkujin

13 Aug 2020

Big fan on ios as well. Have considered picking up Factory on Mac but since there is IDAM don't think I'll do so.

miscend

13 Aug 2020

I seem to recall they had a falling out with Propellerheads and promised never to make REs again?

dvdrtldg

14 Aug 2020

I've got Spectralizer and I quite like it - it's a sort of filter bank/delay hybrid thing that I can never quite get my head around, but it works well as one of those twist-a-few-knobs-and-see-what-happens devices. Sometimes I'll pull it out and stick it on a beat if I'm feeling uninspired, have a bit of a play with it and often come up with something useful. Tried out their other REs and didn't like any of them much

challism

14 Aug 2020

I got them for free in one of the rig bundles. I have tried many times to do something useful with them. But I can't ever get anything out of them. All I ever do with them is end up deleting them. The GUI doesn't help. It's terrible. They look like combinators; no character - one looks like the next.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Boombastix
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2020

Yeah, they are unpredictable. The way I have gotten some use from the is from the filter and delay thing. You run stuff through them turn the knobs and print to a new track. Don't stop the DAW or the buffers will clear out, then you cut out the piece you liked. Some kind of rhythm randomizer thing.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

tumar

27 Aug 2020

Loque wrote:
12 Aug 2020
100/100! Crappy and useless, Rig fillers...

Billy+

27 Aug 2020

If you want the good ones go buy turnado vst, it's on sale first time I've seen in ages 40% off at https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 28-Turnado

tumar

29 Aug 2020

Billy wrote:
27 Aug 2020
If you want the good ones go buy turnado vst, it's on sale first time I've seen in ages 40% off at https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 28-Turnado
After such crappy RE I don't even bother to demo anything from Sugar Bytes.

Bigsby

29 Aug 2020

I've gotten some cool sounds out of the pitch delay on percussive and pizzicato elements.

DJMaytag

31 Aug 2020

I don't even use their VST's. I didn't even know they had any RE's, TBH!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2020

Tried them out briefly when I considered getting the Synth Rig. Didn't really connect with any of them. Also the way they look just made me feel like the developer didn't care about them. They almost look unfinished imo.

VariableX

03 Sep 2020

this is an interesting topic for me ...
i have been looking at there DrumComputer VST with GAS for a few months.... looks like my kinda thing. Anyone know much about it? I have never used there RE which i got in a Rig ( cos i never found them useful )

challism

03 Sep 2020

fretshot7 wrote:
03 Sep 2020
i have been looking at there DrumComputer VST with GAS for a few months.... looks like my kinda thing. Anyone know much about it? I have never used there RE which i got in a Rig ( cos i never found them useful )
ha ha ha, How did this thread possibly turn into someone wanting to buy one of their devices? Funny stuff. To each, their own, as they say. :)

VariableX

03 Sep 2020

challism wrote:
03 Sep 2020
fretshot7 wrote:
03 Sep 2020
ha ha ha, How did this thread possibly turn into someone wanting to buy one of their devices? Funny stuff. To each, their own, as they say. :)
funny how so?
because they are considered sub par?
i use unique on ios as an audio unit and its really good, flawless infact? I am honestly curious if anyone rates there VSTs and in particular DrumMachine which looks fab...

challism

04 Sep 2020

fretshot7 wrote:
03 Sep 2020
challism wrote:
03 Sep 2020

funny how so?
because they are considered sub par?
i use unique on ios as an audio unit and its really good, flawless infact? I am honestly curious if anyone rates there VSTs and in particular DrumMachine which looks fab...
Funny because the vast majority of the comments in this thread are saying the REs are not good. It seems like your comment would be better suited for a thread where positive things were being said. Funny because it was so unexpected to read, based on the overall tone of this thread.

I have no experience at all with their VSTs. Hopefully they are better than the REs. The four REs I own (and have removed from my "rack") are absolutely useless. If anybody has any info abou their drum machine, please chime in for fretshot7.

lowtom

04 Sep 2020

I use Slice Arranger all the time. It is in my drums insert chain effects.
It is great in combination with Matrix or any CV device which let's you quantize to Bar when Dry/Wet knob is engaged.
Great for live performances. Similar to Roland Scatter effect on TR-8.
:reason: :refill: :re:

challism

04 Sep 2020

lowtom wrote:
04 Sep 2020
I use Slice Arranger all the time. It is in my drums insert chain effects.
It is great in combination with Matrix or any CV device which let's you quantize to Bar when Dry/Wet knob is engaged.
Great for live performances. Similar to Roland Scatter effect on TR-8.
That's good to know. Thank you for commenting. Perhaps I'll reinstall and give it a go.. Care to upload an example for us?

• Information