Q-FX Quad Multi Effector

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
sitejax

11 Aug 2020

Just saw the Q-FX Quad Multi Effector and it looks pretty cool.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -effector/

I think a good use case would be to have a certain effects chain and save it as a preset. That would save a lot of time.
Does anyone else think this RE would be useful?

fieldframe
RE Developer

11 Aug 2020

I've never quite understood the appeal of devices like this in an environment like Reason where you can mix and match a signal chain of different rack devices (and save that chain as a Combinator if you want to reuse it).

And do these effect algorithms have anything to set themselves apart from Reason's own effect devices, or are these 23 effects just an inventory of what's included with Gorilla Engine?

WarStar

11 Aug 2020

fieldframe wrote:
11 Aug 2020
I've never quite understood the appeal of devices like this in an environment like Reason where you can mix and match a signal chain of different rack devices (and save that chain as a Combinator if you want to reuse it).

And do these effect algorithms have anything to set themselves apart from Reason's own effect devices, or are these 23 effects just an inventory of what's included with Gorilla Engine?
I agree and have had the same thoughts considering everything you can do with Reason and combinators.. I guess the appeal is the ease of use in terms of efx chains already ready to go instead of adding and routing everything yourself.. work flow wise I could see this being helpful as a quick efx chain where you can quickly reroute, change efx, maybe putting chains together that you may have not thought about before... I guess I'm 50/50.. it would come down to quality of sound for me..

EdGrip

12 Aug 2020

I'm in the "just why?" camp.

miscend

13 Aug 2020

For some people it's much more convenient to use something like this rather than futzing about building combinators. It's like a guitar pedal that's already been setup for you to sound good by a talented tech for a gig. Audiomatic was originally a combinator but its much easier to use as an RE.

guitfnky

13 Aug 2020

yeah, I mean there are lots of really popular REs and stock devices that combine stuff into one handy device, even though you could technically build them yourself. I use Distort Chain pretty regularly, and it does stuff I could build myself easily if I wanted to.

that’s why. :)
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Nerveclinic

16 Aug 2020

Does using this effect use less CPU then 4 different Re’s?

Murf
RE Developer

16 Aug 2020

Sighs. well that cans my latest project, it was very similar.
Murf.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2020

Murf wrote:
16 Aug 2020
Murf.
Just do it. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Murf
RE Developer

16 Aug 2020

MrFigg wrote:
16 Aug 2020
Murf wrote:
16 Aug 2020
Murf.
:o

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2020

Murf wrote:
16 Aug 2020
MrFigg wrote:
16 Aug 2020

:o
Nothing like encouragement eh? :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

16 Aug 2020

miscend wrote:
13 Aug 2020
For some people it's much more convenient to use something like this rather than futzing about building combinators. It's like a guitar pedal that's already been setup for you to sound good by a talented tech for a gig. Audiomatic was originally a combinator but its much easier to use as an RE.
There are more than two ways to approach things - there are plenty of Combinators already built for you if you don't want to build your own.
Combinator Advantages:
Parallel processing at any stage (freely splitting/merging signal paths)
Drag any FX to change order of processing (a big advantage IMO)
ANY available effect can be used, not just the ones that come with the device
No limit on the total number of FX you can use in a chain
Separate outs per FX if needed
CV control of more than just two parameters per FX
Assigning a control (rotary/button) to affect more than one parameter in more than one FX
Ability to insert gain stages at any point for further control or metering between FX

Again, this doesn't mean every user needs to be able to build their own Combinators, it means there are already Combinator out there built for you that can achieve all the things a more limited multi-FX device can do.
That being said, if you love the sounds you get from this device, no reason not to use it!
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information