Player question

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
manisnotabird

10 Aug 2020

Is there a player that will take whatever is input and make it monophonic? For example, if I'm playing a legato passage into a scales and chords player, but I want the input into the scales and chords player to be monophonic so that the output is only one non-overlapping chord at a time.

Bes
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2020

i think you could do this with the two free player devices CVPT and Denote. i would build the player chain something like this, CVPT / Denote (all notes blocked) / CVPT / Scales and chords. then bridge the output 1 of the two CVPT's with cv cables and that should do it
- Certified Reason expert

manisnotabird

10 Aug 2020

Bes wrote:
10 Aug 2020
i think you could do this with the two free player devices CVPT and Denote. i would build the player chain something like this, CVPT / Denote (all notes blocked) / CVPT / Scales and chords. then bridge the output 1 of the two CVPT's with cv cables and that should do it
That doesn't work. If you're holding one note, and press another the second is just not heard.

guitfnky

10 Aug 2020

you might be able to do it with two Scales & Chords’ in serial. the first one, use the chromatic scale, and turn off the Chords setting (I think this makes it monophonic). then add another Scales & Chords underneath that one, and set your chord settings and scale.

not 100% sure this will work since I haven’t used them recently, but might be worth a shot.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Bes
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2020

ok then, kompulsion set to arpeggiator mode and gate on seq 9 and pattern length 1
K endless.JPG
K endless.JPG (77.49 KiB) Viewed 2854 times

Bes
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2020

i suppose the gate length is set to full.
quick tip, holding Alt while making any change on one seq lane makes the same change to every sequencer lane.

manisnotabird

11 Aug 2020

Bes wrote:
10 Aug 2020
ok then, kompulsion set to arpeggiator mode and gate on seq 9 and pattern length 1
K endless.JPG
Kind of works! It is low note priority only (I'd prefer last note priority!), and retriggers the envelope very time, and putting a CVPT in line after the Kompulsion shows that it is triggering outputs 1 and 2.

challism

11 Aug 2020

This might work for you. It's using two purchased REs LoveOne's MIDI-CV Converter and Blamsoft's Distributor. The first MIDI-CV Converter's output is set to mono (back panel). And Distrubtor is also set to mono (back panel). You can adjust the inversion knob on the first Scales & Chords (and the scale of the second S&C) to get different results.

I prefer MIDI-CV Converter to CVPT. Althouth CVPT is free and is a much appreciated device, it can be a little bit wonky/buggy, in my experience. Also, the way it breaks up notes into the different channels is kind of weird and unpredictable (useful and experimental in many instances, though).
Mono.zip
(4.18 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

guitfnky

11 Aug 2020

ah, guess the Scales & Chords thing doesn’t work. have you looked into Delta MIDI Computer? I have to imagine if there’s any Player that can pull it off, that one can.

challism

11 Aug 2020

guitfnky wrote:
11 Aug 2020
ah, guess the Scales & Chords thing doesn’t work. have you looked into Delta MIDI Computer? I have to imagine if there’s any Player that can pull it off, that one can.
I'd have to agree that Delta can probably do it. I don't have Delta yet.... it's on my to buy list, though.

Did you see the solution I posted above? It changes poly to mono and you can get some variation if you mess with the different devices' knobs.

guitfnky

11 Aug 2020

challism wrote:
11 Aug 2020
guitfnky wrote:
11 Aug 2020
I'd have to agree that Delta can probably do it. I don't have Delta yet.... it's on my to buy list, though.

Did you see the solution I posted above? It changes poly to mono and you can get some variation if you mess with the different devices' knobs.
yep, it’s a cool solution! I was trying to come up with something that functions basically like a mono synth does, but in a player, and all I could come up with (after realizing my first suggestion doesn’t work) was Delta. I don’t have it yet either, but it’s definitely also on my to-buy list.

manisnotabird

11 Aug 2020

If Delta can do it I have discovered how yet.

selig
RE Developer

11 Aug 2020

All you actually need is Distributer set to "1" Voice. But you'll possibly run into a Reason issue if you sustain one note, play a second while still holding the first, then release the second note. You'll hear two pitches which only get released once BOTH keys are released.
I'm guessing all the solutions using MIDI-CV and Distributer will produce this, assuming you play the notes as described and use a patch with long decay or high sustain.
Selig Audio, LLC

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

11 Aug 2020

manisnotabird wrote:
11 Aug 2020
Bes wrote:
10 Aug 2020
K endless.JPG
Kind of works! It is low note priority only (I'd prefer last note priority!), and retriggers the envelope very time, and putting a CVPT in line after the Kompulsion shows that it is triggering outputs 1 and 2.
To change Kompulsion's order to last note priority, set the order drop-down to "TIME" and the mod drop-down to "REVERSE." You will still see alternating outputs on CVPT channels 1 and 2, but this is okay because only one channel is active at a time, effectively making the MIDI line mono. If a Scales & Chords follows it will only trigger one chord at a time!

Alternatively, any time you want do the same thing in the CV realm, you can accomplish this with the free Hamu Mingler CV rack extension, found here https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... latest-cv/. Route your note and gate signals into the first input pair and route the outputs to your instrument device. Now press the RETRIG button for input 1 and the device will end the previous note as soon as the new note appears at the input.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

28 Aug 2020

There's 2 Enlightenspeed devices incoming that could use this feature, but I don't want to add this feature to either of these particular plugins. What I'm thinking is a freebie device that implements a very simple algorithm.

So what do you guys want specifically?

Don't go over the top, I don't want to have to spend more than an afternoon doing it. That said, on a good day I can get a lot done in an afternoon ;D

Cheers,
Brian

manisnotabird

28 Aug 2020

Enlightenspeed wrote:
28 Aug 2020
There's 2 Enlightenspeed devices incoming that could use this feature, but I don't want to add this feature to either of these particular plugins. What I'm thinking is a freebie device that implements a very simple algorithm.

Don't go over the top, I don't want to have to spend more than an afternoon doing it. That said, on a good day I can get a lot done in an afternoon ;D

Cheers,
Brian
Switch for high/low/last note priority.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

28 Aug 2020

manisnotabird wrote:
28 Aug 2020
Enlightenspeed wrote:
28 Aug 2020

Cheers,
Brian
Switch for high/low/last note priority.
So, to clarify,

Upon the instance of there being two notes:

Option 1 = Go with the highest note as mono output.
Option 2 = Go with the lowest note as mono output.
Option 3 = Go with the first note as mono output.
Option 4 = Go with the last note as mono output.

Anything else folks want?

Again within reason :)

cgijoe

28 Aug 2020

Wow, that is so generous Enlightenspeed! - I think something basic like that could be nice. Obviously there is a whole rabbit whole that could expand from that into a paid version - but me being a lover of randomness have to ask if there could be 5th option to select a random note (perhaps from any note played on top, like randomly selecting a note from a chord).

Watching this question and thread unfold with numerous solution and ingenuity - a generosity of ideas and labor, is really everything I love about Reason and its community.

guitfnky

28 Aug 2020

Enlightenspeed wrote:
28 Aug 2020
I mean, technically, it’s all within Reason.

:lol: sorry, I’m physically unable to let an opportunity for a bad pun to slide. 😆

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

29 Aug 2020

cgijoe wrote:
28 Aug 2020
...me being a lover of randomness have to ask if there could be 5th option to select a random note (perhaps from any note played on top, like randomly selecting a note from a chord).
Hmmm... sort of. The real-time nature of such a device means that it could be troublesome to just pick one at random. Could do a random method where it randomly picks what priority type to use? This would effectively give you the same thing.

Cheers,
Brian

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

29 Aug 2020

guitfnky wrote:
28 Aug 2020
Enlightenspeed wrote:
28 Aug 2020
:lol: sorry, I’m physically unable to let an opportunity for a bad pun to slide. 😆
As a father, I’m required by laws and traditions to respect this ✊

motuscott

29 Aug 2020

Track Freeze!! :)

As a spiritual descendant of Loki as well as a Reason Talker, I too have certain obligations...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

challism

31 Aug 2020

An inversion knob would be cool. Similar to that of the Scales & Chords player. It could be a handy way to introduce some variety to invert the chord prior to the poly being forced to mono.

I think it would be cool if there were separate CV outputs for all the notes/gates that get rejected from the poly to mono conversion, so those notes could be routed to other devices.

Sterioevo

01 Sep 2020

There is an issue that has been discussed in a thread about Evolution that identifies a problem (particularly when triggering external hardware instruments via midi) with some gate lengths in polyphonic phrasings being too short to be effectively interpreted. Seems to me to be related to what is being discussed here. Is a gate length parameter a feasible option? Further it would be great if this could be tied to a performance controller like velocity or aftertouch? Is this possible and/or realistic?

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

02 Sep 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
01 Sep 2020
There is an issue that has been discussed in a thread about Evolution that identifies a problem (particularly when triggering external hardware instruments via midi) with some gate lengths in polyphonic phrasings being too short to be effectively interpreted. Seems to me to be related to what is being discussed here. Is a gate length parameter a feasible option? Further it would be great if this could be tied to a performance controller like velocity or aftertouch? Is this possible and/or realistic?
Hi Sterioevo,

Any chance you could link to that thread? I can have a look and see if it gives me any ideas.

I already have a threshold timer for the release in my test build - this seemed like a requirement to stop things happening too fast within poly events (quick strums, in particular), effectively cleaning things up a bit. I'm not sure if this is analogous to the "gate length" parameter you want - or perhaps if gate length would be a nice addition to this.

Cheers,
Brian

• Information