PRAISES and THANKS for Grid64P0

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
HeartbreakOne

03 Jul 2020

I will allow someone else to start the "______ is in the shop" thread, but I couldn't wait to heap a ton of praise and thanks to Retouch Control for creating and offering the Grid64P0. It's EXACTLY what I wanted and needed, and there's a fun story (with a video) to go along with it.

I made a post regarding assigning midi keyboard keys to other keys on June 21 here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7518257

The reason was because I have a 'special 'keymap' and technique that I use to play drums on the keyboard in a 'live' way. Here's a sample

I've demonstrated this here before, many years ago (since deleted). It takes quite a bit of effort to move all of the multisamples around from the default keymaps (General MIDI/iMap) to even begin to start playing. But I had an epiphany one day. If there was a PLAYER that allowed me to assign, for example, the G#1 key to play the C1 AND assign more than one key, for example, the G#1 and E3 keys to play the C1, I could audition the drum kits from Kong to Redrum to NN-XT and NN19 WITHOUT having to move the samples around to play using my 'special' keymap. All I would have to do is load the player on top of the device and start playing.

I was fortunate enough to get some feedback from Mr. Figg (thanks again, kind sir.), but no joy from his recommendation of using Tonerows. I thought, as I stated in the post, that maybe the Delta Midi Computer would allow for this using the "Set Note" feature. I contacted Static Cling regarding this, but have still not gotten a response (I'm not bitter, I understand people have other priorities). I actually tried the 'Midi Loopback' technique using several applications and VST plugins that I've since uninstalled because they DID NOT WORK.

Today was a trying day. My internet slowed to a crawl, my favorite snack wasn't at the store I walked 20 minutes in 93 degree heat AND RAIN to get to AND I had an argument with my former best friend that resulted in him being my former best friend. I was not happy to say the least.

I just opened my phone's web browser since YouTube videos won't even load at the moment. The Reason Studio Shop page was the last page I visited before I closed it last night. I have it set as a bookmark to always open with 'New Arrivals' as the sorting. And there it was. The Grid64P0. I had no idea what it was, but when I read the 'Product Description' I knew it was the very thing I was asking for. AND IT WAS!

Since the internet was running slow, it took 20 minutes to download the 2MB file. It took EVEN LONGER to download the manual PDF. It took just as long for the 'Authorizer' to update the licenses. But the patience was more than worth it. I read the entire manual while waiting for the licence updates. And then it was time....

AND IT WORKS exactly like I needed it to. I have a Novation LaunchKey 61 mkII, and my 'special' keymap uses keys (not all) from C1-D#5. D#5 is EXACTLY where the Grid64P0 ends. Perfect! I set it up, which was easy as pie, and tried it out on 'Al Vintage Mono (354 53).cmb' (General MIDI drum map) which was the first entry in the list. Eureka! Everything I wanted and needed, like a dream come true. And it saves patches, so I can set up for other keymaps like the 'iMap' and just load the patch and start playing. THEN I can decide if i need to change the snare or swap out a cymbal without re-configuring the entire thing!

Thank you, Retouch Control. You've made a wish a reality and now I am whole. I have the 30-day trial going, but I get paid TOMORROW. Meaning YOU get paid tomorrow. I really appreciate this, and it's a steal at twice the regular price for my needs.

So far I have purchased (in order):
- REQ131 31-Band EQ
- Mixfood Stutter 128 Sample Fun
- Torsion Texture Lab
- Proton Particle Accelerator
(if you notice the pattern, I ADORE grain samplers. Grain sampling changed my musical life!)

And Grid64P0 will be my next purchase and the closing chapter on my 'MUST HAVE' list.

I'm still using (and very happy with) Reason 10 (upgraded from 7 in 2016 or 2017). I could have purchased Reason 11 many times over the past since it released, but I'm seeing too many issues in the forum. I don't use any other DAW so the RRP is a non-issue in my life. I don't own ANY of the devices in the 'Suite' version and I would love to have them for that wonderful discount (because they also work with Reason 10), but with all of the problems I'm reading here, I'm good (please fix these issues RS). There is also a laundry list of unresolved 'quality-of-life' issues I noticed are just never getting addressed. Sooooo, if you want my money, I need you to sort this out.

Thank you again, Retouch Control. You got your money coming ASAP!

Bless up, to all who read this. I'm off to enjoy this great little gadget now.
TO LET THE WORLD BE

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Jul 2020

Great post! Love it. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

HeartbreakOne

03 Jul 2020

MrFigg wrote:
03 Jul 2020
Great post! Love it. :)
Right on! Again and again, thanks for the assist.
TO LET THE WORLD BE

PhillipOrdonez

03 Jul 2020

What are the issues? Nobody told me, what do I need to worry about being on Reason 11? 😱

HeartbreakOne

03 Jul 2020

Diary: Day 2:

No sleep for almost 24 hours...no food...only water... backside numb... no shower... the phone rang so many times, I decided to sample it... sits nice in the mix...I hope whoever keeps calling is okay... there's a knock at the door...that will make a nice kick drum...maybe they'll come back and knock again...hard drive almost full...where did the gigabytes go so fast?... I might be dying...maybe I'm already dead....because...this...is.... HEAVEN!

But seriously, I have been having more fun than I've ever had in my entire musical experience! I've auditioned every drum kit from every device and have made so many Grid64P0 maps. I have even started on percussion maps so I can play bongos and shakers and tambourines with a live feel.

I've been loading presets into Mixfood Stutter 128 and tossing random samples into the slots, pressing play and just jamming with my new found trove of drum kits. I may record the beat and grab a bass and start practicing scales and runs to speed up my left hand. Record the bass, then grab a piano or organ or Rhodes and drill chords and runs until my arms go numb. I've made so many of the infamous 8-bar song files that I'm going to need to upgrade my storage before Christmas! I'm having a blast!

I ran into one hiccup, which may be useful to someone. The first time I tried editing the map for a ReDrum, I noticed the keys that mute and solo each channel didn't even light up on the map display. I could edit the note, but it still only muted our soloed the channel. I placed the ReDrum into a combinator and PRESTO!, all keys are editable and play the drum channel just fine. I assume the mute and solo is hard wired in Reason and cannot be overridden, but if it's possible, this would make a useful update feature.

Still thankful to Retouch Control for this awesome piece of genius. Still need Reason Studios to get on with those improvements. Still haven't made ONE PENNY using Reason. But it is still worth every penny spent!
TO LET THE WORLD BE

Emian

09 Jul 2020

i can NOT get my Maschine Jam to work even following all instructions .and i know their older grid64 RE was also buggy on my Maschien Jam .....

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

RetouchControl
RE Developer

10 Jul 2020

Emian wrote:
09 Jul 2020
i can NOT get my Maschine Jam to work even following all instructions .and i know their older grid64 RE was also buggy on my Maschien Jam .....
Please get in touch with us about your issue -> retouchcontrol@gmail.com

• Information