Synapse Audio "Obsession" RE - coming soon!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
kinkujin

Post 24 Jun 2020

EdGrip wrote:
24 Jun 2020
It's very kind of them, really. It means they get *less* money from crossgrade customers than just-the-VST customers. I don't think many people would object if they asked crossgraders to cover the cost of the RS commission, but we're not complaining!
It is and I think it's having the desired effect on customer loyalty from me at least. Not only a great developer with fab products but a very fair and generous business model. I truly hope it is working for them as I would probably pay an upcharge to get the VST or RE, whichever was first.

Thanks Synapse!

botnotbot

Post 26 Jun 2020

EdGrip wrote:
24 Jun 2020
botnotbot wrote:
21 Jun 2020

They don't have to pay anyone a fee to give you a free VST. To give you a free RE they need to pay Reason Studios the percentage of the sale, despite the fact that there was no sale.
If VST and RE are the same price, this works the other way too - if someone buys the RE but gets the VST for free, Synapse still lose the same RE sale percentage. Basically (RE+VST), to Synapse, is always (1x price -RS commission). Doesn't matter which way round they do it.
Not exactly. One is the equivalent of subtracting the RE commission from their gross VST profit. The other would come out of pocket. I am not an accountant or a lawyer but I don't think these are entirely the same from a finance department point of view.

antic604

Post 26 Jun 2020

botnotbot wrote:
26 Jun 2020
EdGrip wrote:
24 Jun 2020

If VST and RE are the same price, this works the other way too - if someone buys the RE but gets the VST for free, Synapse still lose the same RE sale percentage. Basically (RE+VST), to Synapse, is always (1x price -RS commission). Doesn't matter which way round they do it.
Not exactly. One is the equivalent of subtracting the RE commission from their gross VST profit. The other would come out of pocket. I am not an accountant or a lawyer but I don't think these are entirely the same from a finance department point of view.
They have uniform development platform / framework, so there's not much format-specific work, this I'd assume fees like thia go into one common bucket. Also, I don't even think this is seen as 'cost', they simply earn less. It's not like that pay it separately.
Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 4 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

botnotbot

Post 28 Jun 2020

antic604 wrote:
26 Jun 2020
botnotbot wrote:
26 Jun 2020

They have uniform development platform / framework, so there's not much format-specific work, this I'd assume fees like thia go into one common bucket. Also, I don't even think this is seen as 'cost', they simply earn less. It's not like that pay it separately.
Not true. If they gave you an RE license for free, they would have to pay real cash to RS. The comparison that the cost is the same in both directions is also false from a finance department perspective as I mentioned.

antic604

Post 28 Jun 2020

botnotbot wrote:
28 Jun 2020
antic604 wrote:
26 Jun 2020

Not true. If they gave you an RE license for free, they would have to pay real cash to RS. The comparison that the cost is the same in both directions is also false from a finance department perspective as I mentioned.
You can't say it's 'not true', as you - and I - have no idea how they account for their income & costs :)
Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 4 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

eusti

Post 28 Jun 2020

botnotbot wrote:
28 Jun 2020
True or not the Synapse guy answered to the question on the KVR forum that owners of the VST can be awarded the RE for free.
Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 18.55.18.png
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7809657

D.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EsotericSound

Post 28 Jun 2020

Although I'm lucky enough to be an owner of an OB-6, I think I'll be getting this RE anyway, just in the case the day comes I ever need to sell the hardware. Even though I have a Moog Slim Phatty, I think The Legend does the "Moog bass" better than my real thing.

BRIGGS

Post 28 Jun 2020

wow :shock: ......the......the..........sound!!!

Boombastix

Post 28 Jun 2020

eusti wrote:
28 Jun 2020

True or not the Synapse guy answered to the question on the KVR forum that owners of the VST can be awarded the RE for free.
The cost to this is quite small if you think of as marketing expenditure. Synapse have quality products, but the market is extremely saturated, and prices have dropped a lot in the past 1½yrs. Thorn for $20, Oberhausen $20, Waves now at $23, many freebies, and so on. Most stuff sound really good and is cheap.

Expectation is probably to price at $99, do a sale at 50% do get volume up, so even a 30% cut for the RE cross-grades is good business, can also be seen as an intro-price. And it generates a lot of loyalty, quite a win-win IMO.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information