PSQ Shift Register patterns?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
syzygianrrf9999

18 Jun 2020

I'm trying to figure out how the pattern values are interpreted and the manual is not transparent at all about what they mean in relation to the actual base 2 value in the register. Its driving me crazy and I really want to know.

If it weren't for the fact that they go up past F I'd have thought it was a hex value or something, but they go from AA to ZZ.

Furthermore, its really hard to experiment with the different values b/c even with the highest possible mouse-parameter precision it skips every other value, and the parameter isn't able to be automated except via the modmatrix knobs which don't actually show the value changing, so I can't actually see what pattern the change is producing.

The patterns cycle from AA to ZZ, , and according to the manual, affect density. Is there any actual explanation into the inner workings of this? For the values to be named what they are rather than a simple decimal value equating to the binary in the register seems intentional - but its very hard to plan around using it as a pulse source b/c there's no obvious rhyme or reason to what the different values produce other than higher density, and even this seems to vary wildly depending on the number of bits (I'm assuming this is truncation, but if it is, that's another thing that isn't readily transparent unless you crank the bits up to 32 and leave them there).

For example even at 32 bits, values AA all the way through about AU or AV produce a single bit. Yes there's a change in phase, but herein lies the confusion - without a numeric value (either binary or decimal) to associate with that bit there's no way to compare it to the other 1/32 bit patterns (it could be 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, and so on)... the need to have a number attached might seem silly but its the only way to understand the difference in values readily - AA or AC or AJ or whatever isn't making sense to me, perhaps there's something I'm missing.

If the density modulation is more-or-less euclidean I'm not sure what the point of it is relative to the euclidean function that is already present.

Is there a way to know what binary value a given pattern value, say, 'AC' or 'VJ' (as pictured in the manual), will produce, numerically speaking?

MannequinRaces

18 Jun 2020

You should consider contacting Rob (the Lectric Panda developer) directly on this. Nobody knows the inner workings like he does! :)

Bes
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2020

if you hold shift on the keyboard while scrolling with your mouse it doesn't skip any values. this is a reason thing and works for all pots/knobs

In digital circuits, a shift register is a cascade of flip flops, sharing the same clock, in which the output of each flip-flop is connected to the "data" input of the next flip-flop in the chain, resulting in a circuit that shifts by one position the "bit array" stored in it, "shifting in" the data present at its input and 'shifting out' the last bit in the array, at each transition of the clock input.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_register
- Certified Reason expert

rorystorm

18 Jun 2020

I've had psq1684 a while now and I've never thought about how long it would have taken to work out and program all those patterns.... tries to mentally calculate the number and fails.... QUITE A FEW

rorystorm

18 Jun 2020

I've had psq1684 a while now and I've never thought about how long it would have taken to work out and program all those patterns.... tries to mentally calculate the number and fails.... QUITE A FEW

syzygianrrf9999

18 Jun 2020

The shift-mouse tip is super helpful, ty - can't believe I never stumbled across that in 13 years since 2.5 :)

I understand how a shift register works - what I don't get is what the alphabetical pattern values have to do with... anything.

i.e. pattern value "HP" @ 12 bits shows 100100001100 - to my mind, the value of the parameter in that particular case would be 2316 or some L/R bitwise rotation of that value - I'm trying to understand what the significance is of the double-lettered values that are present instead, if any.
industrial/psycore/breakcore/electronic modular metal: https://soundcloud.com/rose-red-flechette

ab459

19 Jun 2020

MannequinRaces wrote:
18 Jun 2020
You should consider contacting Rob (the Lectric Panda developer) directly on this. Nobody knows the inner workings like he does! :)
In latest times many users incl. me wrote issue reports and his devices related questions directly to author, but no any answer, simple ignoring.

MannequinRaces

19 Jun 2020

ab459 wrote:
19 Jun 2020
MannequinRaces wrote:
18 Jun 2020
In latest times many users incl. me wrote issue reports and his devices related questions directly to author, but no any answer, simple ignoring.
That’s weird because he’s normally very responsive both on the forum here and through his contact info on the lectric panda website.

ab459

19 Jun 2020

MannequinRaces wrote:
19 Jun 2020
ab459 wrote:
19 Jun 2020

That’s weird because he’s normally very responsive both on the forum here and through his contact info on the lectric panda website.
As I could be convinced earlier, being at a forum - yes, he did. But not currently. (nor thru forum nor email)
Looks like he's just a little tired.

rcbuse
RE Developer

19 Jun 2020

syzygianrrf9999 wrote:
18 Jun 2020
The patterns cycle from AA to ZZ, , and according to the manual, affect density. Is there any actual explanation into the inner workings of this? For the values to be named what they are rather than a simple decimal value equating to the binary in the register seems intentional - but its very hard to plan around using it as a pulse source b/c there's no obvious rhyme or reason to what the different values produce other than higher density, and even this seems to vary wildly depending on the number of bits (I'm assuming this is truncation, but if it is, that's another thing that isn't readily transparent unless you crank the bits up to 32 and leave them there).
It just a random sampling of 600 or so patterns out of the possible 4294967296, sorted by 'bit density'. There isn't any real logical mapping between the name and the bit pattern, its just a label.

ab459

19 Jun 2020

@rcbuse Oh, good to see you sir. Where did you go :puf_smile:

Catblack

19 Jun 2020

I cracked the code for using the shift register in the PSQ to output a 12 bit number for the scales and chords player. I uploaded a combi here 2 or 3 years ago I think. I honestly can't remember what I did exactly -- but I was able to combine the bit values, I think. It's been so long I hardly remember... Here it is.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

• Information