GHAMMY Harm / Pitch Shifter [by Turn2on]

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
okaino
Posts: 58
Joined: 04 Jan 2017

Post 07 Jul 2020

Gardinski wrote:
06 Jul 2020
okaino wrote:
05 Jul 2020
Im using the same pedal with a p4 and have the same issue i tried everything it will max out at 100% but it wont goto 0.

I made sure the grey knob on the pedal was set right because i got less range turning it the opposite way.

I tried changing settings on panorama nothin improved.

I tried using a combinator to try to program the pedal same result.

This was my first expression pedal. im going to try a few on amazon to see if the pedal or the panorama is the issue. Im hoping its the pedal.
It will be interesting to hear whether you have the same result with different pedals, Okaino,

If it is the P4/P6 that's the source of the problem (and not the pedal itself), then it may be solved by a future update, (although we may need to chase up Nektar and put some pressure on them. As far as I can see, they haven't replied to my query yet - but I acknowledge that times are difficult right now, so that might explain it.
For sure bro. Just ordered a pedal from amazon today should be able to let you know by Friday at the latest.

User avatar
turn2on
RE Developer
Posts: 256
Joined: 13 Mar 2015

Post 08 Jul 2020

Don't know how this pedal work under P4, but if you have time and interest to build Arduino converter in 10 minutes, you can have using of this pedal by USB port to pc/Mac, Its very easy.
I found that converter sketch include midi filter and stabilise work of midi data. May be this can help, don't know.
Also you can easily reverse polarity not only at the pedal,, but also at 1/4" stereo jack input, by change two wires one by one. This may be can help for non working pedal to work with pedal from 0 to 100 in reversed polarity as you not really reverse it.
Im work regular with my pedal under this Arduino and all work nice. May be of course I have non-problem pedal.. But I repeat what write before. When build Arduino box, and attach wires - I have for some moment same problem at 0-5% range of pedal. Its been bad wire contact at Arduino pin (just press to pin wire at connection and this been fixed).

Christiannoisegrind
Posts: 6
Joined: 05 Jul 2020

Post 09 Jul 2020

By the way, can someone do a comparison between Ghammy and a real Whammy pedal?
I fell in love with this Ghammy and i dont think a whammy can sound better or have even less latency.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2240
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 09 Jul 2020

Christiannoisegrind wrote:
09 Jul 2020
By the way, can someone do a comparison between Ghammy and a real Whammy pedal?
I fell in love with this Ghammy and i dont think a whammy can sound better or have even less latency.
I have a whammy and they’re both great. I don’t really think one sounds better or less latent than the other, though they do sound different. it’s like your two favorite ice creams—they aren’t the same, but you love them both.

if you play guitar live, in a band (I do), it makes more sense to have a whammy. if you mainly are limited to recording and work in-the-box, Ghammy might be the better option.

the pros of Ghammy over a physical whammy pedal are really in functionality, not sound. Ghammy has a lot more options to play around with than the real deal. I’ve already gotten a lot of mileage on some of the tunes I’m finishing up, using those extra features. and being a plugin, it’s obviously a lot easier to use on other instruments than with a physical pedal with a ¼ inch instrument jack.

some of the pros of a legit whammy over the Ghammy are, it’s got a built in expression pedal, so you don’t have to worry about some of the issues people have mentioned here. it’s also obviously usable with a real amp without having to do any kind of reamping. having a physical pedal will also feel more tangible and immediate than software.

all that said though, if you have the money (and a guitar), I’d say get both. :)

Christiannoisegrind
Posts: 6
Joined: 05 Jul 2020

Post 09 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
09 Jul 2020
Christiannoisegrind wrote:
09 Jul 2020
By the way, can someone do a comparison between Ghammy and a real Whammy pedal?
I fell in love with this Ghammy and i dont think a whammy can sound better or have even less latency.
I have a whammy and they’re both great. I don’t really think one sounds better or less latent than the other, though they do sound different. it’s like your two favorite ice creams—they aren’t the same, but you love them both.

if you play guitar live, in a band (I do), it makes more sense to have a whammy. if you mainly are limited to recording and work in-the-box, Ghammy might be the better option.

the pros of Ghammy over a physical whammy pedal are really in functionality, not sound. Ghammy has a lot more options to play around with than the real deal. I’ve already gotten a lot of mileage on some of the tunes I’m finishing up, using those extra features. and being a plugin, it’s obviously a lot easier to use on other instruments than with a physical pedal with a ¼ inch instrument jack.

some of the pros of a legit whammy over the Ghammy are, it’s got a built in expression pedal, so you don’t have to worry about some of the issues people have mentioned here. it’s also obviously usable with a real amp without having to do any kind of reamping. having a physical pedal will also feel more tangible and immediate than software.

all that said though, if you have the money (and a guitar), I’d say get both. :)
Thanks for the detailed reply buddy. So there is not that much of a difference, but they DO sound different.... mmm, i think i will save money and buy one, i use it not on guitars, but on vocals haha.
I tried lots of pitch vst, and Ghammy is so fast and glitch free... Now that you say that Whammy as got a different sound, i really wonder, what is the difference lol.
Cheers.

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 1558
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 10 Jul 2020

I have the Whammy that comes with an Amplitube add on.

Curious to know how you use this device for guitar and especially non-guitar use?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

User avatar
turn2on
RE Developer
Posts: 256
Joined: 13 Mar 2015

Post 10 Jul 2020

This is very creative for non guitar tasks. Long pitch bends or fast pitch attacks is very interesting for leads, pads. You can recreate any sounds to bass with 1-2-3octaves down with dry/wet, may be like a tape-stop fx with additional granular controls, pitched delays. Many variations.
Now I understand that need mot make some demos of non-guitar sounds to show possibilities of Ghammy

okaino
Posts: 58
Joined: 04 Jan 2017

Post 10 Jul 2020

okaino wrote:
07 Jul 2020
Gardinski wrote:
06 Jul 2020


It will be interesting to hear whether you have the same result with different pedals, Okaino,

If it is the P4/P6 that's the source of the problem (and not the pedal itself), then it may be solved by a future update, (although we may need to chase up Nektar and put some pressure on them. As far as I can see, they haven't replied to my query yet - but I acknowledge that times are difficult right now, so that might explain it.
For sure bro. Just ordered a pedal from amazon today should be able to let you know by Friday at the latest.

Ok so the pedal straggled in today and i can confirm the issue has to be with the nektar pedal and not panorama. The pedal now goes from 0 to 100 with new pedal. this is one of those spots where brand loyalty bites. Good luck bro!

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 4772
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 10 Jul 2020

My M-Audio goes from 0-100 On my T4 but i need to press it about a centimeter before it starts registering even after adjusting the trim
Pot. Guess it’s the nature of EXP pedals.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2240
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 10 Jul 2020

MrFigg wrote:
10 Jul 2020
My M-Audio goes from 0-100 On my T4 but i need to press it about a centimeter before it starts registering even after adjusting the trim
Pot. Guess it’s the nature of EXP pedals.
I think most good manufactures build in a certain amount of tolerance at the beginning and end of the pedal throw so you can count on getting both the maximum and minimum values—but a centimeter seems like a lot. 😳

User avatar
turn2on
RE Developer
Posts: 256
Joined: 13 Mar 2015

Post 10 Jul 2020

My nektar nx-p work nice from 0 with very small moves - touch of pedal very slowly - set expression to 0.8

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 1558
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 10 Jul 2020

turn2on wrote:
10 Jul 2020
This is very creative for non guitar tasks. Long pitch bends or fast pitch attacks is very interesting for leads, pads. You can recreate any sounds to bass with 1-2-3octaves down with dry/wet, may be like a tape-stop fx with additional granular controls, pitched delays. Many variations.
Now I understand that need mot make some demos of non-guitar sounds to show possibilities of Ghammy
I guess monophonic sounds work best, so yeah, vocal, synth lead, synth fx, bass, very cool if you can make some useful examples.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 4772
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 23 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
10 Jul 2020
MrFigg wrote:
10 Jul 2020
My M-Audio goes from 0-100 On my T4 but i need to press it about a centimeter before it starts registering even after adjusting the trim
Pot. Guess it’s the nature of EXP pedals.
I think most good manufactures build in a certain amount of tolerance at the beginning and end of the pedal throw so you can count on getting both the maximum and minimum values—but a centimeter seems like a lot. 😳
I just tried calibrating my M-Audio pedal backwards from 100% instead of from 0%. Works great now. I'm not really sure "exactly" how I did it though and don't want to risk mucking it up.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2240
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 25 Jul 2020

Christiannoisegrind wrote:
09 Jul 2020
guitfnky wrote:
09 Jul 2020


I have a whammy and they’re both great. I don’t really think one sounds better or less latent than the other, though they do sound different. it’s like your two favorite ice creams—they aren’t the same, but you love them both.

if you play guitar live, in a band (I do), it makes more sense to have a whammy. if you mainly are limited to recording and work in-the-box, Ghammy might be the better option.

the pros of Ghammy over a physical whammy pedal are really in functionality, not sound. Ghammy has a lot more options to play around with than the real deal. I’ve already gotten a lot of mileage on some of the tunes I’m finishing up, using those extra features. and being a plugin, it’s obviously a lot easier to use on other instruments than with a physical pedal with a ¼ inch instrument jack.

some of the pros of a legit whammy over the Ghammy are, it’s got a built in expression pedal, so you don’t have to worry about some of the issues people have mentioned here. it’s also obviously usable with a real amp without having to do any kind of reamping. having a physical pedal will also feel more tangible and immediate than software.

all that said though, if you have the money (and a guitar), I’d say get both. :)
Thanks for the detailed reply buddy. So there is not that much of a difference, but they DO sound different.... mmm, i think i will save money and buy one, i use it not on guitars, but on vocals haha.
I tried lots of pitch vst, and Ghammy is so fast and glitch free... Now that you say that Whammy as got a different sound, i really wonder, what is the difference lol.
Cheers.
it took longer to get to than I'd thought, but I did get around to it.



the bottom line is, they can both sound pretty different, but both in equally musical ways. Whammy is better if you're just using it for guitar, and want more accurate pitch, but Ghammy has quite a few more options (I didn't even cover the granular section in this one), and is better for sound design.

if there were a hardware version of Ghammy, I'd buy it in a second. if there were a (good) emulation of Whammy available as an RE, I'd buy it in a second.

User avatar
turn2on
RE Developer
Posts: 256
Joined: 13 Mar 2015

Post 25 Jul 2020

Hi! Thank you for this comparison video with Whammy pedal. :thumbs_up: It is very interesting.
Just one important point: You are comparing Whammy with the Ghammy resolution parameter at 25.3 MS. The most important controller for Ghammy is Resolution Size.
Снимок экрана 2020-07-26 в 00.35.52.png
It is a granular shift buffer. And it depends on the main sound of the instrument when processing the effect. 25.3 ms is not a good example for static use, it is not a large enough buffer. And the sound that you are talking about as a "RingMod", this is exactly the merit of the exposed Resolution Size. The results will be much more interesting - if you set the Resolution size in place, it will help you achieve a huge range of sound capabilities, compared to Whammy. The size can be from instantaneous (8ms) to 800ms (can be synced to the grid). And of course you will get away from the RingMode sound, as shown in the video with the Resolution Size change. This applies to the static application of the pedal position.
But there is still a very important nuance. This is how the active pitch effect works when the pedal is moved. And here the selection of MUTATION modes is important. Several modes together with Resolution Size-will give significant differences in the sound when the pedal slides.

Whammy have own buffer size in modes. Ghammy have control of Resolution size for any modes as you need.
Better way to get maximum from Ghammy - search better sound every time with changing Resolution size. This is a main controller, that must be used in work regular for any kind of sounds. :puf_smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2240
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 25 Jul 2020

turn2on wrote:
25 Jul 2020
Hi! Thank you for this comparison video with Whammy pedal. :thumbs_up: It is very interesting.
Just one important point: You are comparing Whammy with the Ghammy resolution parameter at 25.3 MS. The most important controller for Ghammy is Resolution Size.
Снимок экрана 2020-07-26 в 00.35.52.png

It is a granular shift buffer. And it depends on the main sound of the instrument when processing the effect. 25.3 ms is not a good example for static use, it is not a large enough buffer. And the sound that you are talking about as a "RingMod", this is exactly the merit of the exposed Resolution Size. The results will be much more interesting - if you set the Resolution size in place, it will help you achieve a huge range of sound capabilities, compared to Whammy. The size can be from instantaneous (8ms) to 800ms (can be synced to the grid). And of course you will get away from the RingMode sound, as shown in the video with the Resolution Size change. This applies to the static application of the pedal position.
But there is still a very important nuance. This is how the active pitch effect works when the pedal is moved. And here the selection of MUTATION modes is important. Several modes together with Resolution Size-will give significant differences in the sound when the pedal slides.

Whammy have own buffer size in modes. Ghammy have control of Resolution size for any modes as you need.
Better way to get maximum from Ghammy - search better sound every time with changing Resolution size. This is a main controller, that must be used in work regular for any kind of sounds. :puf_smile:
ah, interesting! I wouldn't have thought the Resolution would impact the device unless it's in Granular mode, but I just tried it again, and it's just as you describe. might you give some thought to showing that Resolution setting even while the Granular mode is turned off? it seems a little confusing to me that it's still doing something even when it's grayed out. then again, I didn't RTFM, so my bad for not understanding it better.

I do still notice that, regardless the Resolution, there are still a bit more artifacts in polyphonic material than in the hardware Whammy pedal--BUT, as I mentioned in the video, the caveat there is that it doesn't matter--it's very musical, and useful in its own right. different sounds, but every bit as good.

for what it's worth, I did play around with the granular settings in the follow-up video, but as I noted in this one, the audio didn't record for some reason. the granular settings are where this device REALLY shines, especially in an 'in-the-box' production/sound-design environment. SO much fun to be had there (and I even figured out how some of the settings worked :lol:).

and that helps me better understand what's going on with the Detune setting in Mono mode as well. with lower settings, you do get that sort of 'cab simulator' kind of sound, but at higher settings, it makes the detune more pronounced and it sounds more like you might expect.

I still plan on doing that second video from a more sound-design/producer perspective, and I'll definitely include much of this. thank you for letting me know! (and for the awesome device!)

User avatar
turn2on
RE Developer
Posts: 256
Joined: 13 Mar 2015

Post 26 Jul 2020

Yes, design of Granular settings button- not change the sound, not disable granular engine. Resolution size is a heart of device, as main buffer that change sound..
Button only cut granular settings at grey panel zone plus display at the upper part of device.

If you play with resolution size changes, you also can find how Mutate can change sound - from Vibes to Phase, and smaller size of Resolution add artefacts and add some bit crush

Christiannoisegrind
Posts: 6
Joined: 05 Jul 2020

Post 26 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
25 Jul 2020
Christiannoisegrind wrote:
09 Jul 2020


Thanks for the detailed reply buddy. So there is not that much of a difference, but they DO sound different.... mmm, i think i will save money and buy one, i use it not on guitars, but on vocals haha.
I tried lots of pitch vst, and Ghammy is so fast and glitch free... Now that you say that Whammy as got a different sound, i really wonder, what is the difference lol.
Cheers.
it took longer to get to than I'd thought, but I did get around to it.



the bottom line is, they can both sound pretty different, but both in equally musical ways. Whammy is better if you're just using it for guitar, and want more accurate pitch, but Ghammy has quite a few more options (I didn't even cover the granular section in this one), and is better for sound design.

if there were a hardware version of Ghammy, I'd buy it in a second. if there were a (good) emulation of Whammy available as an RE, I'd buy it in a second.
Thanks for showing the comparison, really helpful..There is not too much difference in sound, but yes on how it tracks the "attack" of the signal.. i would like to see a comparison showing the Octave Down setting on both, since that is what i am more interested in!
Cheers bro.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2240
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 26 Jul 2020

Christiannoisegrind wrote:
26 Jul 2020
guitfnky wrote:
25 Jul 2020


it took longer to get to than I'd thought, but I did get around to it.



the bottom line is, they can both sound pretty different, but both in equally musical ways. Whammy is better if you're just using it for guitar, and want more accurate pitch, but Ghammy has quite a few more options (I didn't even cover the granular section in this one), and is better for sound design.

if there were a hardware version of Ghammy, I'd buy it in a second. if there were a (good) emulation of Whammy available as an RE, I'd buy it in a second.
Thanks for showing the comparison, really helpful..There is not too much difference in sound, but yes on how it tracks the "attack" of the signal.. i would like to see a comparison showing the Octave Down setting on both, since that is what i am more interested in!
Cheers bro.
glad you found it helpful. seems like it was actually a good thing that my second video didn’t record the audio—gives me a chance to add Turn2On’s clarifications and include a better comparison of the octave down stuff. sorry I missed that—my bias for the octave up is showing! :lol:

Christiannoisegrind
Posts: 6
Joined: 05 Jul 2020

Post 27 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
26 Jul 2020
Christiannoisegrind wrote:
26 Jul 2020

Thanks for showing the comparison, really helpful..There is not too much difference in sound, but yes on how it tracks the "attack" of the signal.. i would like to see a comparison showing the Octave Down setting on both, since that is what i am more interested in!
Cheers bro.
glad you found it helpful. seems like it was actually a good thing that my second video didn’t record the audio—gives me a chance to add Turn2On’s clarifications and include a better comparison of the octave down stuff. sorry I missed that—my bias for the octave up is showing! :lol:
Haha yeah man, seems you are more of a octave UP guy and i am more of the DOWN stuff... Would like to see more comparisons for sure, i subscribed to your channel, also because you are the ONLY guy who did a comparison, i asked on Reddit and other forums and no one did, so you got my respect man.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 4772
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 27 Jul 2020

Usually have it on an octave down then use it very sparingly and slowly like 5 or 6% to get that down press tremolo arm detune in the My Bloody Valentine style.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2240
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 29 Jul 2020

awright, here's the second installment.



features:
- explanation of the stuff I wasn't aware of/grasping in the first one
- some octave down stuff (which, TBH, I probably could have done a better job of--sorry)
- some fun, crazy sound design
- a more practical, mix use
- I get a bit gushy at the end
- length

enjoy!

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests