Prices in some currencies are higher

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Ostermilk
Posts: 1519
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 19 Jun 2020

"Heads, we win. Tails you lose."

Sounds like plain vanilla, good old fashioned business to me.

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 8785
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 20 Jun 2020

This is not the first time the price tiers have been adjusted to reflect changing exchange rates - seems to have not caused much of a stir last time, no?
Selig Audio, LLC

NDKay
Posts: 279
Joined: 04 Jul 2018
Location: Suite 11

Post 20 Jun 2020

selig wrote:
20 Jun 2020
This is not the first time the price tiers have been adjusted to reflect changing exchange rates - seems to have not caused much of a stir last time, no?
exchange rates ?

that would make sense if it would be the other way around, like 99€ to 109$ and not like it is now with 109€ to 99$.

Especially because of RS coming from sweden in europe and not US territory.

I am still very curious about what is the reason for that difference. ( no pun intended ) :?
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5074
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 20 Jun 2020

NDKay wrote:
20 Jun 2020
selig wrote:
20 Jun 2020
This is not the first time the price tiers have been adjusted to reflect changing exchange rates - seems to have not caused much of a stir last time, no?
exchange rates ?

that would make sense if it would be the other way around, like 99€ to 109$ and not like it is now with 109€ to 99$.

Especially because of RS coming from sweden in europe and not US territory.

I am still very curious about what is the reason for that difference. ( no pun intended ) :?
Corporate greed?
丰2ॐ

NDKay
Posts: 279
Joined: 04 Jul 2018
Location: Suite 11

Post 20 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
20 Jun 2020
Corporate greed?
I have something in mind which is highly speculative :twisted: :

Maybe the "Investor" has other companys in his portfolio ( or another "business contract") which is specialized in payment services.... and now the EU payments are routed through "that company".
There are many reasons to do that from (the modern) economic perspective, the rise in turnover (for the other company) just to make one example..... and yeah, greed would be another one. :puf_unhappy:

----------
I could also think of other things going on :

Maybe its just "the first phase" of changes, maybe there is this hike in prices overall and next they implement the other currencies with implemented exchange rates.

-----------
the question stays the same..... whats going on ??? :?
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

NDKay
Posts: 279
Joined: 04 Jul 2018
Location: Suite 11

Post 20 Jun 2020

NDKay wrote:
20 Jun 2020
selig wrote:
20 Jun 2020
This is not the first time the price tiers have been adjusted to reflect changing exchange rates - seems to have not caused much of a stir last time, no?
exchange rates ?

that would make sense if it would be the other way around, like 99€ to 109$ and not like it is now with 109€ to 99$.

Especially because of RS coming from sweden in europe and not US territory.

I am still very curious about what is the reason for that difference. ( no pun intended ) :?
and it could also be a "coding mistake" . I mean maybe it was planned to do 99€ to 109$ - the code "got rammed" somewhere and now we got this wierdly opposite result.

who knows.... :?
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 7322
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 20 Jun 2020

I don't often see prices in USD and EUR side by side, but one example is Zynaptiq that I'm looking at now.

For instance Morph:

USD 169 / EUR 179
(all EUR prices inclusive of 19% VAT
– EUR 150.42 without VAT. Sales tax may apply to USD price.)

So you can see the price in EUR is lower before the 19% VAT. Of course, I don't know what is applied in the Reason shop... In the US, we are typically not charged sales tax if purchasing outside of our state. We are expected though to pay a use tax in place of a sales tax, but collecting use taxes often costs more money, so they really only focus on collecting use tax for bigger purchases.

NDKay
Posts: 279
Joined: 04 Jul 2018
Location: Suite 11

Post 20 Jun 2020

joeyluck wrote:
20 Jun 2020
I don't often see prices in USD and EUR side by side, but one example is Zynaptiq that I'm looking at now.

For instance Morph:

USD 169 / EUR 179
(all EUR prices inclusive of 19% VAT
– EUR 150.42 without VAT. Sales tax may apply to USD price.)

So you can see the price in EUR is lower before the 19% VAT. Of course, I don't know what is applied in the Reason shop... In the US, we are typically not charged sales tax if purchasing outside of our state. We are expected though to pay a use tax in place of a sales tax, but collecting use taxes often costs more money, so they really only focus on collecting use tax for bigger purchases.
this could be an (or even THE) explanation for that. Leaves another question - why now ?
edit: but then again, why 10 % ? in your example the difference is even less.

Do you (maybe) remember seeing a difference like this before ?
I was thinking of the pluginboutiqe prices for example, one price for all - the differences in the currencies all "translate" back to the same "value".
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

User avatar
Jagwah
Posts: 1710
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 21 Jun 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
16 Jun 2020
Ha! You guys think you've got problems. I'm in Australia so basically everything in the shop is like 500 bucks
I hear ya partner!

Basically, we pay 150% of everything that is sold in US dollars. :evil:

If RS want their typical $100 for a new rack device - that is immediately $150 for all Australians.

Conversion rates or not, it certainly doesn't feel like we are all even here, not that the blame belongs with RS.

Apparently the Swedish Crona is very weak now... well... we Aussies can tell you all about that.

User avatar
robotgard
Posts: 115
Joined: 08 Sep 2018

Post 21 Jun 2020

Jagwah wrote:
21 Jun 2020
dvdrtldg wrote:
16 Jun 2020
Ha! You guys think you've got problems. I'm in Australia so basically everything in the shop is like 500 bucks
If RS want their typical $100 for a new rack device - that is immediately $150 for all Australians.
It is still cheaper than in Russia. Over the past 6 years, the ruble exchange rate against the dollar has fallen by half. Therefore, what costs $ 100 for the United States is $ 200 for Russia.

It's sad, but we will still buy, but now I think for a long time, as far as I need buy update or RE.

User avatar
faun2500
Posts: 152
Joined: 27 Sep 2015

Post 21 Jun 2020

currencies and exchange rates are a bit of a nightmare actually. Always changing and making it difficult to price things in £$Euros
Big discounts on new Reason ReFills at https://NewLoops.com :refill: :refill: :thumbs_up:

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 8785
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 21 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
20 Jun 2020
NDKay wrote:
20 Jun 2020


exchange rates ?

that would make sense if it would be the other way around, like 99€ to 109$ and not like it is now with 109€ to 99$.

Especially because of RS coming from sweden in europe and not US territory.

I am still very curious about what is the reason for that difference. ( no pun intended ) :?
Corporate greed?
So why not raise ALL prices then, if greed?
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5074
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 21 Jun 2020

selig wrote:
21 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
20 Jun 2020


Corporate greed?
So why not raise ALL prices then, if greed?
Yeah. Why not? :)
Was just a question. Not a statement. :)
丰2ॐ

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1689
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 21 Jun 2020

selig wrote:
21 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
20 Jun 2020


Corporate greed?
So why not raise ALL prices then, if greed?
Just my opinion but as the US prices don't include 20% tax and account for over half of the market, RS receive all of the ticket price and want the new buyer to see value. Whereas if in Europe the market is stagnant and only hardcore users are buying they need to recoup more from them due to that and the tax being taken.

Purely conjecture 🤔

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 8785
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 21 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
21 Jun 2020
selig wrote:
21 Jun 2020


So why not raise ALL prices then, if greed?
Yeah. Why not? :)
Was just a question. Not a statement. :)
Why not? Maybe because NOT greed?
(also just a question!)
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5074
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 21 Jun 2020

selig wrote:
21 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
21 Jun 2020


Yeah. Why not? :)
Was just a question. Not a statement. :)
Why not? Maybe because NOT greed?
(also just a question!)
Absolutely. Maybe and maybe not. :).
Ach...doesn’t bother me anyway. The only RE I need now is the Kuassa Vox ac15/30 and they can charge me whatever the hell they want for that one :).
丰2ॐ

Synth Street
Posts: 17
Joined: 17 May 2020

Post 14 Jul 2020

Wow lot of reply's i missed,good stuff guys! :thumbs_up: I enabled notifications on reply's now in the forum preferences :redface:

Synth Street
Posts: 17
Joined: 17 May 2020

Post 14 Jul 2020

diminished wrote:
18 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
17 Jun 2020
The stupid blue Softube thing is up to €399 now hahahahahaha. Are they mental?? :)
Imagine the "75% off" price tag during BF - it'll sell like hotcakes.
And who doesn't like 90% off tags?
IMHO it's all just a ploy to sell more units when people are actually willing to buy. If people are happy to pay that much in a non-sale period, they have too much money good on them :)
As much as I despise schemes like that, pretty much everyone in the industry is doing it :( I get the *why*...
True that i am a sucker for those deals myself also :redface:

User avatar
mondblum
Posts: 2
Joined: 08 Sep 2020

Post 08 Sep 2020

Moderator Editorial: This was posted as its own topic, but I moved it to this thread.

Hi everybody,
I'm new to the forum and fairly new to Reason too (using Reason 11 Intro).

I'm starting with a question.
When shopping for Rack Extensions I find different prices if I'm logged in or logged out. For example Friktion when logged out it says 99$ (which is about 84€), but when logged in it says 109€ (128$).
$vs€.png
Image
OK, I already bought Friktion for 109€ because it is an awesome instrument and the people at ReasonStudios seem to be cool, but I still wonder what the difference between $ and € pricings is. My local taxes?

Anyone care to enlighten me?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
mondblum
Posts: 2
Joined: 08 Sep 2020

Post 08 Sep 2020

Moderator Editorial: This was posted as its own topic, but I moved it to this thread.
thanks for moving it here, should have found this thread myself :)


Maybe I'm just paying the price for living in a privileged part of the world, then.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Italophile, ksniod and 2 guests