Set range for pitch bend.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2020

Some synths have got a box with arrows for determining how much the pitch will bend up or down when using the pitch wheel e.g. Malström, RYM2612 etc
Some synths don't have the box. e.g. ReDominator, Monopoly (as far I can make out).
For those synths which don't have the "range" option is there any other way to change the range of the pitch wheel?
Gotta be something to do with putting it in a combi right?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Electric-Metal

15 Jun 2020

Did you take a look at the back of the synths in question? IIRC Antidote for example has its PB settings on the back.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2020

Electric-Metal wrote:
15 Jun 2020
Did you take a look at the back of the synths in question? IIRC Antidote for example has its PB settings on the back.
Yeah thanks. I did that. Didn’t see anything there.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

16 Jun 2020

Its an interpretation of the pitch bend signal inside of the synth. If you cannot change it somewhere on the GUI, you are doomed.
Reason12, Win10

Sterioevo

16 Jun 2020

Can be done via CV - in a combinator for example.

Loque

16 Jun 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
16 Jun 2020
I am curious how you expand the PB range via CV?
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

16 Jun 2020

On this topic, I wish pitch bend was determined by the host.

When I use my Seaboard, the default is +/-48. So not only do I need to change settings with every patch and every new synth, I have to find where the setting is, and Reason synths and REs are also very limited in pitch bend range (typically going to +/-12 at the highest). I need at the very least +/-24 to get the range out of my Seaboard Block.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Jun 2020

Loque wrote:
16 Jun 2020
Its an interpretation of the pitch bend signal inside of the synth. If you cannot change it somewhere on the GUI, you are doomed.
Man!!! That’s not good. :(
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Sterioevo

16 Jun 2020

Loque wrote:
16 Jun 2020
Sterioevo wrote:
16 Jun 2020
The OP asked about how to "change" the range. So scaling down is obviously possible via CV.

I may be wrong in the case of Redominator and Monopoly, I have neither of these devices so cannot check. Some RE's such as Skrock do not respond in this way either.

However, most instruments I have, stock and RE's allow the PB range to be expanded by using CV in combination with the Pitch Bend wheel. E.G. max out the PB wheel and add some CV to PB and the range will be extended beyond what is possible with the PB wheel alone. To a maximum limit though, normally of an additional amount of 64 in my experience.

Many parameters behave this way.

Sterioevo

16 Jun 2020

@Loque - I now understand your point regarding if it is not on the GUI

Loque

16 Jun 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
16 Jun 2020
Loque wrote:
16 Jun 2020

The OP asked about how to "change" the range. So scaling down is obviously possible via CV.

I may be wrong in the case of Redominator and Monopoly, I have neither of these devices so cannot check. Some RE's such as Skrock do not respond in this way either.

However, most instruments I have, stock and RE's allow the PB range to be expanded by using CV in combination with the Pitch Bend wheel. E.G. max out the PB wheel and add some CV to PB and the range will be extended beyond what is possible with the PB wheel alone. To a maximum limit though, normally of an additional amount of 64 in my experience.

Many parameters behave this way.
Well, this is an interesting point. In Combination with "automation" it could be possible to extend the range. A lot of synths have a "pitch" parameter. Modify this with the PB could work, maybe in addition with the normal PB. Using a Combinator can be helpfull for control and possibly disabling the PB for the device. Good idea :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

• Information