Just released 3 filters!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
aeox
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2020

Whoa, a nice surprise!

Sounds really good. Everyone can see that it looks amazing. Well done!

emasters

05 Jun 2020

These are nice - GUI and sound. Really appreciate the discounted bundle, too.

madmacman

06 Jun 2020

antic604 wrote:
05 Jun 2020
For a second I thought Arturia started releasing filters! :o
No, Arturia‘s are the ones you‘ll actually use! :P ;)

challism

06 Jun 2020

hurricane wrote:
05 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
05 Jun 2020
That said, I’ve also bought/ tried a load of crap just because they were pretty.
True also for me with plugins and girls. :crazy:

Now I demo both before I buy.
I'm just curious what you have been paying for girls and do they ever offer some kind of Black Friday discount?

It is amazing how much GUI does matter, really. But it does. I'd rather look at something that looks like real hardware and looks nice that some ugly thing that looks like a cartoon.

That bundle price is really nice, too. This is tempting. I feel I've got all the filters I could ever need, but these look great and that bundle price.... if they sound good, I'd probably buy. I must resist trying them right now.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2020

challism wrote:
06 Jun 2020
hurricane wrote:
05 Jun 2020

True also for me with plugins and girls. :crazy:

Now I demo both before I buy.
I'm just curious what you have been paying for girls and do they ever offer some kind of Black Friday discount?

It is amazing how much GUI does matter, really. But it does. I'd rather look at something that looks like real hardware and looks nice that some ugly thing that looks like a cartoon.

That bundle price is really nice, too. This is tempting. I feel I've got all the filters I could ever need, but these look great and that bundle price.... if they sound good, I'd probably buy. I must resist trying them right now.
Actually some of the older and ugliest ones can make nice sounds too if you tweak them right.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ekss
RE Developer

06 Jun 2020

Thanks mate!

dioxide

06 Jun 2020

ekss wrote:
05 Jun 2020
I’ll try to make a short video showing a couple of ways to route the filters tomorrow, will post link here when it’s ready.
I'm not a dubhead but I'd be interested to hear your preferences on Spring Reverbs and delays in Reason. Do you have any favorites or are there VSTs you prefer?

ekss
RE Developer

06 Jun 2020

dioxide wrote:
06 Jun 2020
ekss wrote:
05 Jun 2020
I’ll try to make a short video showing a couple of ways to route the filters tomorrow, will post link here when it’s ready.
I'm not a dubhead but I'd be interested to hear your preferences on Spring Reverbs and delays in Reason. Do you have any favorites or are there VSTs you prefer?

I love the RV7000 - use it all the time both with the build in algorithms and with convolution IRs.
For springs I have a few different convolution packs i alternate between. Some found online, like the one from SpaceEcho201 and some random larger tanks, these are wuite good: http://www.dubbhism.org/2008/10/free-do ... tubby.html
There is also a few in the Factory soundbank (search for "spring" and you'll find a bunch!)

For delay I mostly use The Echo and RV7000 on echo/multitap settings. Or build combinators with those and other effects to color the feedback loop.

I recently got AudioThing's SpaceEcho VST, I think it's sounds nice - haven't tried it that much yet thou.
Also been looking at Arturia's 363, it seem to have that organic "sproing" that IR's lack, IR's tend to feel a bit "linear" so to say.

But yeah, the stock stuff in Reason is pretty neat and frequently used here :)

ekss
RE Developer

06 Jun 2020

Video uploading now, soon finished!

Edit: deleted due to sync trouble with audio/video

New link, still not perfect sync but much closer!

(Can't figure out how to make proper screen recordings, will need to look into this for future videos...)
Last edited by ekss on 06 Jun 2020, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2020

dioxide wrote:
06 Jun 2020
ekss wrote:
05 Jun 2020
The two PSP Audioware VST spring verbs are brilliant.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

06 Jun 2020

eusti wrote:
05 Jun 2020
antic604 wrote:
05 Jun 2020
For a second I thought Arturia started releasing filters! :o
Like this: https://www.arturia.com/products/softwa ... sem-filter ?

D.
No. Just when I opened the RE shop without even clicking on it reading the labels, it looked like this: https://www.arturia.com/products/softwa ... mp-tubesta
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604

06 Jun 2020

Ok, it might be a stupid question but why would one get the two separate high-pass and low-pass (2x EUR19=EUR38) OR the bundle (EUR39), when the combined unit (EUR29) has everything already? Am I missing some detail here?
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Exowildebeest

06 Jun 2020

ekss wrote:
06 Jun 2020
I pressed Tab while watching...

You got me.

ekss
RE Developer

06 Jun 2020

antic604 wrote:
06 Jun 2020
Ok, it might be a stupid question but why would one get the two separate high-pass and low-pass (2x EUR19=EUR38) OR the bundle (EUR39), when the combined unit (EUR29) has everything already? Am I missing some detail here?
Just a wanted to make it flexible, like someone might just want the HP and someone might want LP. Or a combination. The bundle is if you want all options available. Maybe you want a simple 2U unit some time or the 3U another. Just didn’t want to limit to the one 3U so all three seemed like a good option. :)

selig
RE Developer

06 Jun 2020

Filters in the breakout of The Echo are a most lovely "dub" effect. Lacking that feature, in the past I would simply return two delays in two channels of a mixer, pan them L/R and cross feed them back into each other through the channel EQ/filter. Wonderful panning/feedback/filter goodness! Similar thing works with Reason - swap the L/R cables after inserting the filter into the breakout path for a more interesting stereo effect and try different delay times per channel.
Selig Audio, LLC

ekss
RE Developer

06 Jun 2020

Exowildebeest wrote:
06 Jun 2020
ekss wrote:
06 Jun 2020
I pressed Tab while watching...

You got me.

Haha! It happens a lot when I see reason-videos too!

Noticed that the audio and video is out of sync, seems like my screencap was 60fps but my composition was 30... so re-uploading a synced version soon!

ekss
RE Developer

06 Jun 2020

selig wrote:
06 Jun 2020
Filters in the breakout of The Echo are a most lovely "dub" effect. Lacking that feature, in the past I would simply return two delays in two channels of a mixer, pan them L/R and cross feed them back into each other through the channel EQ/filter. Wonderful panning/feedback/filter goodness! Similar thing works with Reason - swap the L/R cables after inserting the filter into the breakout path for a more interesting stereo effect and try different delay times per channel.
Great experimental style, love to cross connect everything for those crazy effects =D

Boombastix
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2020

dioxide wrote:
06 Jun 2020
ekss wrote:
05 Jun 2020
Ibanez HD1000 was/is the dub delay of choice. Sold mine, but have yet to see a VST version of it.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Mysterygrimms

07 Jun 2020

ekss wrote:
05 Jun 2020
Yeah, I love the RE format! Acutally I'm working on a couple of more RE devices at the moment, no idea how long those will take thou... 😄
Maybe the Fisher Space Expander Tube Spring Reverb perhaps? I actually have one sitting in my closet right now, but would love a reverb similar to this in RE format. I think the spring reverb by Softube might be the closest... I'll have to trial it at some point.

I bought the ES01 RE recently and already made a song using the presets from it (killer analog synth). And I'll be buying all of your refills on gum road today as well (just found out today about your other refills).

I will definitely get this filter suite as well. You had me at King Tubby. I just wish Scientist would port his vsts over to Reason. Would love to hear the Squawky filter (created by Bunny Lee) in all of it's glory and The Scientist Spring Reverb Dub Fx.

ekss
RE Developer

07 Jun 2020

Mysterygrimms wrote:
07 Jun 2020
ekss wrote:
05 Jun 2020
Yeah, I love the RE format! Acutally I'm working on a couple of more RE devices at the moment, no idea how long those will take thou... 😄
Maybe the Fisher Space Expander Tube Spring Reverb perhaps? I actually have one sitting in my closet right now, but would love a reverb similar to this in RE format. I think the spring reverb by Softube might be the closest... I'll have to trial it at some point.

I bought the ES01 RE recently and already made a song using the presets from it (killer analog synth). And I'll be buying all of your refills on gum road today as well (just found out today about your other refills).

I will definitely get this filter suite as well. You had me at King Tubby. I just wish Scientist would port his vsts over to Reason. Would love to hear the Squawky filter (created by Bunny Lee) in all of it's glory and The Scientist Spring Reverb Dub Fx.
Love the Fisher K10! If you want and have the time, could you record IR samples of it? The more the better!!!
Then i could probably make a convolution based emulation!
My friend had one of those in his studio but I think he sold it along with a lot of other gear a few years ago.. :/

MarkTarlton

07 Jun 2020

fyi - the scientist only used the fisher reverb on two mixes, he hated how noisy it was, even though tubby's studio had one... major misconception on dub forums. he developed techniques using the console to get his sound.

edit - I personally love the furman rv-1 :)

Mysterygrimms

07 Jun 2020

I never knew that. Thanks for sharing!
MarkTarlton wrote:
07 Jun 2020
fyi - the scientist only used the fisher reverb on two mixes, he hated how noisy it was, even though tubby's studio had one... major misconception on dub forums. he developed techniques using the console to get his sound.

edit - I personally love the furman rv-1 :)

Steedus
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2020

ekss wrote:
06 Jun 2020
I recently got AudioThing's SpaceEcho VST, I think it's sounds nice - haven't tried it that much yet thou.
Their “Springs” plug-in is pretty sweet. It’s my go-to spring reverb.

scratchnsnifff

08 Jun 2020

ekss wrote:
05 Jun 2020
Hi Reason Talk crew!

Just wanted to post a notice about my new rack extensions, just released a few minutes ago!

It's quite simple high pass and low pass filters, inspired by the Altec 9069/9068 passive filters that King Tubby had in his studio. The high pass was known as the mysterious "big knob" and he often used it on the send/return effects, like sweeping the reverb tail or insert it before the reverb. A great trick is to put it before the reverb on 7.5k, by that you almost remove all signal and then you just lower the cut off to let drums and what not through to the (spring) reverb. Instant dubby vibes!

It's by no mean an accurate emulation (i had no possibility to get my hands on those rare things..) it's rather an approximation from listening to dubs by Tubby and looking at clones. The main thing with them is that they have those specific stepped cut off frequencies so you get the same characteristic stepped sweeps when routing fx thorugh them. I've also added peak control and an transistor drive input circuit so that you can drive the signal for some "analog heat" ;) And yes, for smooth sweeps there is a CV jack on the back linked to the cutoff frequency.

I made three units, the HP1012 high pass, LP1024 LowPass and LPHP 1224 combining both of them in one unit.
They're available in a bundle for a heavily reduced price, so you could pick and chose what is of interest or convenience!

Check them out here: https://ekss.se/vintagefiltersuite
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bund ... lter-suite

cheers!
/Erik

Is this the same es filter?????? Omg if it is!

I think it’s the best sounding filter in all of reason

I’ll pick them up on Tuesday :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

ekss
RE Developer

08 Jun 2020

scratchnsnifff wrote:
08 Jun 2020
ekss wrote:
05 Jun 2020
Hi Reason Talk crew!

Just wanted to post a notice about my new rack extensions, just released a few minutes ago!

It's quite simple high pass and low pass filters, inspired by the Altec 9069/9068 passive filters that King Tubby had in his studio. The high pass was known as the mysterious "big knob" and he often used it on the send/return effects, like sweeping the reverb tail or insert it before the reverb. A great trick is to put it before the reverb on 7.5k, by that you almost remove all signal and then you just lower the cut off to let drums and what not through to the (spring) reverb. Instant dubby vibes!

It's by no mean an accurate emulation (i had no possibility to get my hands on those rare things..) it's rather an approximation from listening to dubs by Tubby and looking at clones. The main thing with them is that they have those specific stepped cut off frequencies so you get the same characteristic stepped sweeps when routing fx thorugh them. I've also added peak control and an transistor drive input circuit so that you can drive the signal for some "analog heat" ;) And yes, for smooth sweeps there is a CV jack on the back linked to the cutoff frequency.

I made three units, the HP1012 high pass, LP1024 LowPass and LPHP 1224 combining both of them in one unit.
They're available in a bundle for a heavily reduced price, so you could pick and chose what is of interest or convenience!

Check them out here: https://ekss.se/vintagefiltersuite
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bund ... lter-suite

cheers!
/Erik

Is this the same es filter?????? Omg if it is!

I think it’s the best sounding filter in all of reason

I’ll pick them up on Tuesday :)

It's a similar filter, non self resonating and pretty smooth sound. The peak-settings on this is lower then on the ES01 but I hope you like it anyway! :)

• Information