Just released 3 filters!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ekss
RE Developer

05 Jun 2020

Hi Reason Talk crew!

Just wanted to post a notice about my new rack extensions, just released a few minutes ago!

It's quite simple high pass and low pass filters, inspired by the Altec 9069/9068 passive filters that King Tubby had in his studio. The high pass was known as the mysterious "big knob" and he often used it on the send/return effects, like sweeping the reverb tail or insert it before the reverb. A great trick is to put it before the reverb on 7.5k, by that you almost remove all signal and then you just lower the cut off to let drums and what not through to the (spring) reverb. Instant dubby vibes!

It's by no mean an accurate emulation (i had no possibility to get my hands on those rare things..) it's rather an approximation from listening to dubs by Tubby and looking at clones. The main thing with them is that they have those specific stepped cut off frequencies so you get the same characteristic stepped sweeps when routing fx thorugh them. I've also added peak control and an transistor drive input circuit so that you can drive the signal for some "analog heat" ;) And yes, for smooth sweeps there is a CV jack on the back linked to the cutoff frequency.

I made three units, the HP1012 high pass, LP1024 LowPass and LPHP 1224 combining both of them in one unit.
They're available in a bundle for a heavily reduced price, so you could pick and chose what is of interest or convenience!

Check them out here: https://ekss.se/vintagefiltersuite
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bund ... lter-suite

cheers!
/Erik
Last edited by ekss on 06 Jun 2020, edited 1 time in total.

challism

05 Jun 2020

Wow, those are beautiful! Nice job with the GUI.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Sterioevo

05 Jun 2020

These look fantastic, well done.
I will bight :) The reference to Analog Heat is "purely coincidental" or some other inspiration happening?
Also the filters on the ES-01 are great, any relation to these ones?

ekss
RE Developer

05 Jun 2020

Sterioevo wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2020
These look fantastic, well done.
I will bight :) The reference to Analog Heat is "purely coincidental" or some other inspiration happening?
Also the filters on the ES-01 are great, any relation to these ones?
Ah, I see what you're meaning here, but no the smiley was because it's software :lol:
Haven't tried the elektron box, if it sounds similar it's a coincidence and I'd be very happy since I love their stuff!

The filters are somewhat similar to ES01 since they wont self resonate, but the Hi-peak position is not as exaggerated as when having ES01 on extended mode :)

Loque

05 Jun 2020

They look great and they are available in the good old Propellerhead Shop πŸ˜‚
Reason12, Win10

ekss
RE Developer

05 Jun 2020

Loque wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2020
Yeah, I love the RE format! Acutally I'm working on a couple of more RE devices at the moment, no idea how long those will take thou... πŸ˜„

ekss
RE Developer

05 Jun 2020

challism wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2020
Wow, those are beautiful! Nice job with the GUI.

Thank you! And thanks Joey too , happy you like the look!

hurricane
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2020

These are simple UI designs but they're done exceptionally well, and I wish more RE developers spent the extra time and effort on the GUI because IT MATTERS.

I'm a VST guy all the way, but I'm actually going to check these out JUST BECAUSE THEY LOOK FANTASTIC. Literally, that is the only reason why.

Now, I hope they sound good lol.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2020

hurricane wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2020
These are simple UI designs but they're done exceptionally well, and I wish more RE developers spent the extra time and effort on the GUI because IT MATTERS.

I'm a VST guy all the way, but I'm actually going to check these out JUST BECAUSE THEY LOOK FANTASTIC. Literally, that is the only reason why.

Now, I hope they sound good lol.
Yep. Good GUIs matter. πŸ˜³πŸ˜€

Truth be known, the way Rob Papen synths look is probably one of the reasons I hardly ever load them up.

That said, I’ve also bought/ tried a load of crap just because they were pretty.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

hurricane
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2020
That said, I’ve also bought/ tried a load of crap just because they were pretty.
True also for me with plugins and girls. :crazy:

Now I demo both before I buy.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Loque

05 Jun 2020

ekss wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2020
05 Jun 2020
Yeah, I love the RE format! Acutally I'm working on a couple of more RE devices at the moment, no idea how long those will take thou... πŸ˜„
>>Propellerhead << shop πŸ™ƒπŸ˜œ
Reason12, Win10

ekss
RE Developer

05 Jun 2020

05 Jun 2020
ekss wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2020

>>Propellerhead << shop πŸ™ƒπŸ˜œ
Ahhhh! Yes, need to edit that πŸ˜‚

hurricane
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2020

These sound great. On the 1224, HP filter, drive the input, set the peak to HI, freq to 70, and check out the thickness. Looks like I'm buying my first REs in a while. :thumbs_up:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

dioxide

05 Jun 2020

Beautiful GUIs. As always!

ekss
RE Developer

05 Jun 2020

hurricane wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2020
These sound great. On the 1224, HP filter, drive the input, set the peak to HI, freq to 70, and check out the thickness. Looks like I'm buying my first REs in a while. :thumbs_up:
Yeah, it's nice to use it for bass emphasis instead of cutting away, like of opposite of it's "intended" use!
During the development I started putting them on amlost everything, just to get some colorisation of the sound. πŸ˜„

antic604

05 Jun 2020

For a second I thought Arturia started releasing filters! :o

Anyway, they look great and I'm gonna take them for a spin today!
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

fieldframe
RE Developer

05 Jun 2020

Lovely modeling and shader work on the knobs. What are you using to model and render your filmstrips?

ekss
RE Developer

05 Jun 2020

fieldframe wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2020
Lovely modeling and shader work on the knobs. What are you using to model and render your filmstrips?
Thanks! I use Cinema4D :thumbs_up:

hurricane
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2020

Make a juicy and complex analog poly-synth (please not mono) with the look and sound of your filters - take my money now.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Boombastix
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2020

Too bad Reason never set a quality standard for the GUIs. Not saying everything needs to be on this level, but too many are just horrible or uninspiring. Well done on these!
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

eusti

05 Jun 2020

antic604 wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2020
For a second I thought Arturia started releasing filters! :o
Like this: https://www.arturia.com/products/softwa ... sem-filter ?

D.

MarkTarlton

05 Jun 2020

you had me at king tubby!

not sure if you had the chance to check out the tapeop from 3 months ago, but it was all dub engineers, and the scientist was talking about it. dub has been one of those defining genres of music that has stayed with me since I first heard it in high school 30 years ago. I'll be checking this out for sure!

ekss
RE Developer

05 Jun 2020

MarkTarlton wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2020
you had me at king tubby!

not sure if you had the chance to check out the tapeop from 3 months ago, but it was all dub engineers, and the scientist was talking about it. dub has been one of those defining genres of music that has stayed with me since I first heard it in high school 30 years ago. I'll be checking this out for sure!
Awesome, you know if I can find that tapeop (?) somewhere now? Would love to see it =)

I’ll try to make a short video showing a couple of ways to route the filters tomorrow, will post link here when it’s ready.

MarkTarlton

05 Jun 2020

• Information