Have you ever NOT bought RE because you wasted your trial?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Would you like trials to be reset periodically?

Yes, I often 'waste' my trial and as a result won't buy the RE that I'm not convinced about
65%
No, I've 'wasted' trials in the past but I recognise that's my fault & I get the REs anyway
12%
No, I always use the trials to the fullest by planning them dilligently to make informed decision
14%
What?! We can trial REs??? :o
9%

Total votes: 43
antic604

30 May 2020

I really wish Reason Studios would reset the trials once in a while (e.g. after year has passed you can try again), because I often start a trial then forget about it or won't be able to even sit with the DAW for few weeks; and when the time comes - like May Madness - when I'd like to get it, I can't remember anything about it or try it again. Sure, in many cases there are videos or audio samples, but most of the time that's not a replacement for proper hands-on time, because it concerns REs that you can't make your mind about - some you know you don't need, some you know you gotta get it no matter what and this is about the group that's in between.

So, were you in a situation where you 'wasted' your trial & have not bought an RE, that you'd probably get otherwise if you could re-trial?

Or are you planning your trials meticulously?
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Boombastix
Competition Winner

30 May 2020

If RS marketing were smart they would reset trials for every May Madness and Black Friday. My commission for this idea is 10%, lol.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 May 2020

I’ve been wasting trials since REs were first introduced. Trying stuff I had no idea how or what they did. Years later, with more experience, understanding what they’re all about but unable to trial them again. So yeah. A reset would be great.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Biolumin3sc3nt

30 May 2020

turn2on wrote:
30 May 2020
You can always buy minimal subscription plan to re-test few needed REs
That's true!

antic604

30 May 2020

turn2on wrote:
30 May 2020
2 of the synths that prompted me to write this post can't be subbed (Zero & JPS Harmonic Synth) :(
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

zoidkirb

30 May 2020

Wasted some trials in the past I really wish I could undo. Definitely won't be buying those RE's now.
But I've learned my lesson, and now only trial something if I'm sure I'll have the time/inclination to test it properly.

bieh

30 May 2020

turn2on wrote:
30 May 2020
Agreed. This is a fantastic way to do a re-trial. You can fit a lot of devices into a one-month, $9 subscription.

Socram
RE Developer

30 May 2020

For whatever my approach is worth I don't trial RE's unless I have an immediate need for what they do. I try them immediately in the project that calls for the device, and can typically make a determination within an hour or so of starting the trial.

Reason Studios seems a bit stingy about resetting trials. I was able to request one in the past and had it granted for a device that got a major update, but I have heard of other devs requests being denied.

I will say the trial period is quite generous, if they reset regularly I do think that'd be somewhat abuseable, but I totally get your sentiment.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

DaveyG

31 May 2020

I reckon the developer should be able to request a reset of trials on their own product whenever they choose. If an RE gets an update some people will want to try the new feature(s).

As Socram says the 30 day trial is quite generous. Maybe the solution is to cut that to a 10 day trial but reset it every 12 months. An alternative might be to offer an initial very short trial on anything new (just a few days) and then the standard one-off 30 day thing. That allows people to test out new stuff as soon as it is released because, as we know, new stuff gets a lot of love and hype so I'm sure many people "waste" their trials at that point.

MannequinRaces

31 May 2020

Boombastix wrote:
30 May 2020
If RS marketing were smart they would reset trials for every May Madness and Black Friday. My commission for this idea is 10%, lol.
This would be a very smart move on their part. People are itching to buy and having the ability to sample the smorgasbord would be enticing.

LmstPv

31 May 2020

I'd be happy if they even just gave you a 1 day or less retrial after the initial trial. I think it would take me less than 10 minutes to be reminded why i did or didnt like an RE i tried ages ago.

phithegoldenratio

31 May 2020

antic604 wrote:
30 May 2020
turn2on wrote:
30 May 2020
2 of the synths that prompted me to write this post can't be subbed (Zero & JPS Harmonic Synth) :(
strange, had both of them on sub a while ago...

motuscott

31 May 2020

LmstPv wrote:
31 May 2020
I'd be happy if they even just gave you a 1 day or less retrial after the initial trial. I think it would take me less than 10 minutes to be reminded why i did or didnt like an RE i tried ages ago.
The RS trial thingy seems quite generous to me and yes I've wasted a trial or two and regretted it. That's on me.
Other than that, this idea seems reasonable.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Yonatan

31 May 2020

Often 1 day trial when on sale, would be enough on most devices one cant remember or wasted trial. Also many REs have seen some updates along the way and mainly those cases could be good to get 1 day extra. If nothing has changed, I would see it is on me to have wasted it, and thus put it on subscription. But even those cases I believe most developers would get more sales with MM or BF bonus trial day.

sdst
Competition Winner

31 May 2020

I stopped trialing REs long time ago, for this reason

only when i'm ready to buy i try a REs

I am not going to subscribe to try, they should reset that

Creativemind

31 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
31 May 2020
I reckon the developer should be able to request a reset of trials on their own product whenever they choose. If an RE gets an update some people will want to try the new feature(s).

As Socram says the 30 day trial is quite generous. Maybe the solution is to cut that to a 10 day trial but reset it every 12 months. An alternative might be to offer an initial very short trial on anything new (just a few days) and then the standard one-off 30 day thing. That allows people to test out new stuff as soon as it is released because, as we know, new stuff gets a lot of love and hype so I'm sure many people "waste" their trials at that point.
Or even better, have a so many days trial in the shop for an Re? So 10 1 day trials for instance. You click one of the day long trials at 3pm on a day, it will be unusable at 3pm the next day. Then you have 9 day long trials left. Might sound a lot but if you think 168hrs in a week for a month (5096hrs average.) It would make people think more when trialling and use that hour wisely but would enable people to try it further down the line.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

31 May 2020

LmstPv wrote:
31 May 2020
Yes, you would, good idea. I think most be reminded of what they liked or disliked in a day. Similar to my idea, I said have 10 1 day trials for each Re.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

motuscott

31 May 2020

Creativemind wrote:
31 May 2020
Or even better, have a so many days trial in the shop for an Re? So 10 1 day trials for instance. You click one of the day long trials at 3pm on a day, it will be unusable at 3pm the next day. Then you have 9 day long trials left. Might sound a lot but if you think 168hrs in a week for a month (5096hrs average.) It would make people think more when trialling and use that hour wisely but would enable people to try it further down the line.
But given human nature, wouldn't people just use this system to use but not buy REs
That is, if they thought that far ahead, which given human nature...
Ok, my bad.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2020

Propellerheads don’t even have selective Sync for REs on an account. I don’t think we’ll be seeing anything more advanced from them in terms of trials.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

WasteLand

01 Jun 2020

antic604 wrote:
30 May 2020
I really wish Reason Studios would reset the trials once in a while (e.g. after year has passed you can try again), because I often start a trial then forget about it or won't be able to even sit with the DAW for few weeks; and when the time comes - like May Madness - when I'd like to get it, I can't remember anything about it or try it again. Sure, in many cases there are videos or audio samples, but most of the time that's not a replacement for proper hands-on time, because it concerns REs that you can't make your mind about - some you know you don't need, some you know you gotta get it no matter what and this is about the group that's in between.

So, were you in a situation where you 'wasted' your trial & have not bought an RE, that you'd probably get otherwise if you could re-trial?

Or are you planning your trials meticulously?
i agree with you, reset the trials, and some time. sometimes you download a demo, but you are to busy with other stuff, and before you know it, the demo expires.
so choosed, wasted trials, too many...
but i use reason more and more, i have several daw's, workflows, and even with rewire and panorama p1 and cubase pro 10.5 (and earlier versions), i could control reason. but i never quite get into my workflow.

since reason 11 suite, yes! and i will use reason also as a standalone daw. what was the problem? i had to many windows open, and came one monitor short... (i have 3...), sometimes a small thing can bother you, and you think what the hell, that can't be the reason, grow up! but small things, can kill workflow.

so reason has finally it's place. and antic, your positive postings about reason, do you own reason 11 (i thought not) (EDIT: you have reason 11.. sorry, i remember know your enthousiasm about the midi out, and yes, i am also enthousiastic about the midi out), where also factor... i thought i must take the step...

but i demoed also RE's and i didn't like them or liked them but, came with another solution that worked better for me... viking-2 for example, it didn't do it for me. i don't say it is a bad synth, on the contrary. i tried it, it has great sound, but it didn't do it for me. strangely i use modular V3, again, after long time, and made some nice things...

so sometimes a demo, it let's you see what you already have got. and that you can do it, better for the workflow you feel good about. so fantastic RE's i have demoed, but in a way, it had the effect that i tried the plugins that i already have, and discoverd more possibilities.

like eventide physion, i thought great plugin; but if you have MB versions, and MXXCore from melda. you can do it, without limitations. and again, i don't say that eventide physion is not a great plugin. i discoverd other solutions.

long story, sorry!
Win 10 Pro. R11 suite + R12. Nektar Panorama p1. Ryzen 9 5900X. Cubase Pro 11, Bitwig Studio 4.4, Reaper 6.68, Ableton Live 11 Suite. RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface.

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

https://soundcloud.com/user-873737123

DaveyG

01 Jun 2020

motuscott wrote:
31 May 2020
Creativemind wrote:
31 May 2020
But given human nature, wouldn't people just use this system to use but not buy REs
That is, if they thought that far ahead, which given human nature...
Ok, my bad.
Yep, I agree that 10 one day trials would be open to abuse. You could save up your trial days and then use them to finish songs without having to buy the RE.

selig
RE Developer

01 Jun 2020

I've never trialed an RE I wasn't actively (at that very moment) ready to trial. I can't imagine downloading a trial with some vague intention of trialing it in the future.
If I'm reading about something interesting but not able to trial it at that moment, I make a note if it so I remember to trial it the next time I'm running Reason and have some time to devote to trialing.
Because of this simple approach, I've never either made a purchase I regretted nor let a trial expire without knowing my feelings about the device.

That said, when new features are added, it only makes sense to be able to trial a device again to see if the new features change my mind about the device's ability to fit into my workflow. The simplest way this should work IMO is that ANY update should automatically reset trials for all users - devices are not updated that often, and even if the update is minor the worst case IMO is you're giving someone 30 more days to fall in love (or not) with your product. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

tallguy

01 Jun 2020

selig wrote:
01 Jun 2020
I've never trialed an RE I wasn't actively (at that very moment) ready to trial. I can't imagine downloading a trial with some vague intention of trialing it in the future.
Maybe that's because you're quite experienced in making music.

As a newbie, when I found out about these things called "compressors", I enthusiastically downloaded a whole bunch of RE trials. Of course, I had no idea what I was supposed to do with them and wasted all those trials.

DaveyG

01 Jun 2020

tallguy wrote:
01 Jun 2020
selig wrote:
01 Jun 2020
Maybe that's because you're quite experienced in making music.

As a newbie, when I found out about these things called "compressors", I enthusiastically downloaded a whole bunch of RE trials. Of course, I had no idea what I was supposed to do with them and wasted all those trials.
And there are quite a few people who can't resist the buzz of anything new and will trial it as soon as it comes out, regardless of their current wants/needs.

• Information