CV Player Tap vs. MIDI-CV Converter?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
antic604

26 May 2020

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... layer-tap/

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... converter/

What's the difference between the two? Do I get this right that CV Player Tap does basically what MIDI-CV Converter does when set to Mono? So in other words MIDI-CV Converter can do everythig CV Player Tap can PLUS it can also transmit polyphonic CV/gate via single socket? Or am I totally off here? :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

challism

26 May 2020

Yeah, pretty much the same except MIDI CV Conv can handle polyphonic signals.

I've also noticed CV Player Tap can be a little buggy, but I haven't been able to reproduce it. I almost reported it to LP one time, I had the report written with all the appropriate info, the song file zipped and attached, but when I reopened the song file to check something, the bug wasn't bugging anymore. This same bug comes back once in a while, but I can't pinpoint it exactly or reproduce it on command. Since it's a free RE, I haven't been that concerned with tracking it down. It's odd how it comes and goes, though. And since I have MIDI CV COnv, I don't use Player Tap anymore.

I have yet to find any bugs in MIDI CV Converter.

I bought MIDI CV Conv during Black Friday, I think it was, and has been one of my favorite and most used devices in my rack ever since then. I seem to use it multiple times in every project. It's such a great tool for experimenting with players. I cant recommend it highly enough if you enjoy stacking players together. The only thing I would like to see added to it are input on/off buttons the way it has output on/off buttons. Other than that, this thing is perfect.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

antic604

26 May 2020

challism wrote:
26 May 2020
I bought MIDI CV Conv during Black Friday, I think it was, and has been one of my favorite and most used devices in my rack ever since then. I seem to use it multiple times in every project. It's such a great tool for experimenting with players. I cant recommend it highly enough if you enjoy stacking players together. The only thing I would like to see added to it are input on/off buttons the way it has output on/off buttons. Other than that, this thing is perfect.
Thanks! :thumbs_up:
Music tech enthusiast.

robotgard

26 May 2020

Last edited by robotgard on 09 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

antic604

26 May 2020

robotgard wrote:
26 May 2020
antic604 wrote:
26 May 2020
What's the difference between the two?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7515490
Thanks! Already bought it :)
Music tech enthusiast.

selig
RE Developer

26 May 2020

Just to be clear:
There is another difference, and it has to do with what is presented at the CV outputs:
CV Tap splits voices to individual CV outputs, ala "Distributer" mode.
MIDI-CV copies all voices to each CV output, allowing layers to be created which can be switched on/off via front panel, Combinator, or Remote/hardware to create complex layered patches. It has a SINGLE input on/off button to allow "muting" MIDI input to use CV input alone.
Also, CV Tap can mute individual CV inputs and MIDI-CV cannot, but MIDI-CV can mute the MIDI input and CV Tap cannot (which could be handy if you wanted to "process" the CV out signal than bring it back into the same MIDI-CV device while muting the "direct" MIDI signal). Plus CV Tap has 16 channels and MIDI-CV has 8
Selig Audio, LLC

rorystorm

26 May 2020

I just tried to download CV tap but it wouldn't appear in my installer

challism

26 May 2020

rorystorm wrote:
26 May 2020
Did you try all the usual stuff, like turning your computer off and on again.
Do you have Reason 9 or above?
Are you sure you completed the product checkout in the shop?

Loque

27 May 2020

challism wrote:
26 May 2020
Yeah, pretty much the same except MIDI CV Conv can handle polyphonic signals.

I've also noticed CV Player Tap can be a little buggy, but I haven't been able to reproduce it. I almost reported it to LP one time, I had the report written with all the appropriate info, the song file zipped and attached, but when I reopened the song file to check something, the bug wasn't bugging anymore. This same bug comes back once in a while, but I can't pinpoint it exactly or reproduce it on command. Since it's a free RE, I haven't been that concerned with tracking it down. It's odd how it comes and goes, though. And since I have MIDI CV COnv, I don't use Player Tap anymore.

I have yet to find any bugs in MIDI CV Converter.

I am curious which bug? I noticed a difference in the note ordering compared to other devices.
Reason12, Win10

challism

27 May 2020

Sometimes it drops notes and sometimes the notes seem to hang. It doesn't happen very often, but I've noticed it numerous times in the past. It's actually a cool effect sometimes. So if the bug could be tracked down, an on/off effect to enable the bug would be cool. ha ha ha

It seems to happen after a session has been going on for a while. The bug doesn't seem to happen right at the beginning of a session. I haven't been all that interested in tracking it down, since I have MIDI CV Conv, I just use that instead. $9 is a great price during the MM sale.... pick it up!

Yonatan

27 May 2020

Midi-CV-converter seems to be a "must have" if wanting to connect many players? Can remember I tested both these above and both did the job but Midi-CV-converter is more handy with its poly mode.

Are there any other alternatives to these two that do similar? For instance:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... akout-box/

madmacman

27 May 2020

Yonatan wrote:
27 May 2020
Are there any other alternatives to these two that do similar? For instance:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... akout-box/
Ah, I almost forgot this one. You can probably build your own "poly" version with Player Tap + Blamsoft Breakout. Takes a little more effort (cabeling) and there's still the open question with that bug reported by challism.

bieh

27 May 2020

selig wrote:
26 May 2020
Just to be clear:
There is another difference, and it has to do with what is presented at the CV outputs:
CV Tap splits voices to individual CV outputs, ala "Distributer" mode.
MIDI-CV copies all voices to each CV output, allowing layers to be created which can be switched on/off via front panel, Combinator, or Remote/hardware to create complex layered patches. It has a SINGLE input on/off button to allow "muting" MIDI input to use CV input alone.
Also, CV Tap can mute individual CV inputs and MIDI-CV cannot, but MIDI-CV can mute the MIDI input and CV Tap cannot (which could be handy if you wanted to "process" the CV out signal than bring it back into the same MIDI-CV device while muting the "direct" MIDI signal). Plus CV Tap has 16 channels and MIDI-CV has 8
CV Player Tap also has this other groovy little feature that if only the gates in are connected, not the notes in, the device auto-allocates them to suit drum devices like Kong and Redrum. So input 1 goes to pad 1 or drum slot 1 and so on. So if you want to trigger drums with CV but might want to switch between Kong, Redrum, Rytmik, Club Drums etc, you can do it as much as you like without having to rewire the CV every time you change instrument. There's good differences between MIDI-CV Converter and CV Player Tap to make it worthwhile having both.

challism

27 May 2020

bieh wrote:
27 May 2020

CV Player Tap also has this other groovy little feature that if only the gates in are connected, not the notes in, the device auto-allocates them to suit drum devices like Kong and Redrum. So input 1 goes to pad 1 or drum slot 1 and so on. So if you want to trigger drums with CV but might want to switch between Kong, Redrum, Rytmik, Club Drums etc, you can do it as much as you like without having to rewire the CV every time you change instrument. There's good differences between MIDI-CV Converter and CV Player Tap to make it worthwhile having both.
That is a cool feature, for sure. And since it's free, everyone who uses players should pick it up.
Also, since MIDI CV Conv is on sale for $9.... I'd pick that up, too.
Sort of a twisted buy one get one free! For $9 you can have them both. ha ha

rorystorm

28 May 2020

challism wrote:
26 May 2020
rorystorm wrote:
26 May 2020
Did you try all the usual stuff, like turning your computer off and on again.
Do you have Reason 9 or above?
Are you sure you completed the product checkout in the shop?
Yup all of the above. Latest version of reason. Its annoying!

• Information