New Tutorial Video: Selig ColoringEQ Tips

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
selig
RE Developer

25 May 2020

Hi all, got a new video showing some useful tips for getting more from the ColoringEQ - Enjoy!
Selig Audio, LLC

BlkRd

26 May 2020

Hello Selig,

I had logged in today to find some discussion and info on the Colour EQ so happy to see this video. I will read the manual when I have some time :)

After demoing lots of vst eqs (the usual suspects, proq, tb pro audio ones etc) I decided i wanted to have one that would show in the rack. I had my eyes on the synapse one a long time, but seeing the thought and work that went into Colour Eq i decided to support your work. I am excited to explore it later today.

One thing that has happened which is strange, is that although i have paid for the RE it wont show when i am not online. My computer is authorised for offline work, though I just cant get Colour EQ to appear when unless I connect to the internet... I know this wont be anything to do with the actual RE, but rather maybe something weird on the authorisation side? I have re ran the authoriser several times but I cant get it to show. Would anyone have any idea what is going on with that?

I had some specific Qs about eq, but I will save them for once I have had some time to use the EQ and watch your videos and read the manual.

All the best everyone.

WarStar

26 May 2020

Thanks Giles! You're my fav RE developer.. and your input on the forums is gold!

I'm not very experienced with CV but I'm having trouble grasping the dynamic cut or boost feature.. I love the idea of having those bands follow your kick to duck baseline or just to make room elsewhere but I'm a little lost on how this is done..

rgdaniel

26 May 2020

BlkRd wrote:
26 May 2020
One thing that has happened which is strange, is that although i have paid for the RE it wont show when i am not online. My computer is authorised for offline work, though I just cant get Colour EQ to appear when unless I connect to the internet...
I had exactly the same problem with Selig Leveler, which I recently purchased. (Love it!)
I did a "Sync All" and it seems fine now.

Loque

26 May 2020

Good video. Still a lot to learn for EQing...
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

26 May 2020

Thanks for that! These are dope tips!

selig
RE Developer

26 May 2020

WarStar wrote:
26 May 2020
Thanks Giles! You're my fav RE developer.. and your input on the forums is gold!

I'm not very experienced with CV but I'm having trouble grasping the dynamic cut or boost feature.. I love the idea of having those bands follow your kick to duck baseline or just to make room elsewhere but I'm a little lost on how this is done..
Those are two different things, the dynamic cut/boost and the EQ pitch tracking.
Dynamic cut/boost is achieved by connecting a compressor like the MClass via CV to the Gain control of one band (or the Master Gain control for controlling all bands together). This is a pretty advanced application, only really needed to address specific EQ problems that only occur when the level rises above a certain point, which could be configured as a de-esser, a de-harsher (like de-esser but for mid range frequencies), etc.
The EQ pitch tracking is more straight forward, and even demonstrated in the linked video. In the video I'm using it to boost a frequency to give a non-pitched source a sense of pitch, but you can also use it when the EQ is being cut as a way to removed the frequencies played by the bass from the kick. To do this you would need to copy the bass MIDI track and paste it into a note lane for the Coloring EQ, then turn on Sequencer Control for notes and select the band(s) you want to follow MIDI notes. If you set the Tune control to E3/64, the EQ will track with A3=440 (C3=middle C).
An advanced application would allow velocity/gate to control the depth of the cut and trigger the built in envelope (controls located on the back). In this way you can make it so the cut only happens when there's a note held, and the higher the velocity the more the cut (a max velocity of 127 results in the front panel amount of cut, velocities below that scale accordingly). So if you set the cut to -6 dB, a velocity of 127 gives you -6 dB while a velocity of 64 (one half) gives you -3 dB (half the amount of cut set on the front panel). Of course you can also scale the velocity so it's not as extreme if you need to, also located on the back.

Hope this helps, always happy to clarify anything that's not clear to you!
Selig Audio, LLC

dvdrtldg

26 May 2020

I just want to say, Man that's some righteous Old Testament beard action you've got going on there

littlejam

26 May 2020

hello,

just tracking this thread because it is a great tutorial
sometimes words speak louder than pictures
sometimes pictures speak a thousand words
looking forward to the next selig RE

have a blessed day,

j

finishing off some red chile mango pineapple sauce
and doing some pizza dough for a pizza challenge
ups store has more people in line than target
go figure
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

Sterioevo

26 May 2020

Thats great Giles.
I can't recommend this e.q. highly enough.
The saturation and pitch capabilities on the bottom end really are something special.

WarStar

27 May 2020

selig wrote:
26 May 2020
WarStar wrote:
26 May 2020

Those are two different things, the dynamic cut/boost and the EQ pitch tracking.
Dynamic cut/boost is achieved by connecting a compressor like the MClass via CV to the Gain control of one band (or the Master Gain control for controlling all bands together). This is a pretty advanced application, only really needed to address specific EQ problems that only occur when the level rises above a certain point, which could be configured as a de-esser, a de-harsher (like de-esser but for mid range frequencies), etc.
The EQ pitch tracking is more straight forward, and even demonstrated in the linked video. In the video I'm using it to boost a frequency to give a non-pitched source a sense of pitch, but you can also use it when the EQ is being cut as a way to removed the frequencies played by the bass from the kick. To do this you would need to copy the bass MIDI track and paste it into a note lane for the Coloring EQ, then turn on Sequencer Control for notes and select the band(s) you want to follow MIDI notes. If you set the Tune control to E3/64, the EQ will track with A3=440 (C3=middle C).
An advanced application would allow velocity/gate to control the depth of the cut and trigger the built in envelope (controls located on the back). In this way you can make it so the cut only happens when there's a note held, and the higher the velocity the more the cut (a max velocity of 127 results in the front panel amount of cut, velocities below that scale accordingly). So if you set the cut to -6 dB, a velocity of 127 gives you -6 dB while a velocity of 64 (one half) gives you -3 dB (half the amount of cut set on the front panel). Of course you can also scale the velocity so it's not as extreme if you need to, also located on the back.

Hope this helps, always happy to clarify anything that's not clear to you!
Thanks Giles..! I think I got it.. great RE by the wAy.. incredibly unique and practical as always

• Information