Velocity Curve by Andrew Russell

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
joeyluck

18 May 2020

I didn't see a thread for this. It was released last month and I totally missed it.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ity-curve/

I noticed it is on sale for $9. This is the perfect solution. The alternative is MIDI Compressor. And Delta has a basic velocity curve module that comes in handy with Delta patches.

But for just velocity curves, I really like this GUI and its compact size. It looks great. It displays each individual note played along the curve. The draw mode is pretty cool too, as you can freely draw. Low in/low out, high in/high out, and curve...it's very intuitive and well-laid-out, I can't imagine how it could be designed any better.

If you get fancy with the draw mode, it might have you wishing for a patch save/load feature. But I wouldn't want to sacrifice the GUI size or anything in the interface to make room for patch management... Maybe someday when Reason Studios adds patch management/player-chain-saving to the top Players bar, that will cover that :) I guess until then, it's using Combinator patches and Reason files.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

18 May 2020

I have Midi Compressor. Either one is an indispensable tool IMO.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

challism

18 May 2020

I was just looking at this player in the shop, after seeing it on sale for $9. I agree the GUI looks very nice. I totally missed its release. Seems like our entire community here on RT missed it. This does look like a good tool to have in the rack. And for $9, I think I might pick it up. Also, as a nice way to say thank you to the developer who is giving us another free player (Denote), which looks like a good tool for quickly and easily muting specific notes from playing (also displays notes that are playing).

Free until May 31 https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... on/denote/
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

VIVIsect

19 May 2020

I was looking for something exactly like this a while back. Wish it had come out before I ended up buying MIDI Compressor. MIDI Compressor is fine and gets the job done, but the GUI is ugly as sin (imo) and it takes up too much real estate. This one is pretty much perfect. Might buy it anyway since it's $9.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 May 2020

I was going to buy Midi Comp a while ago until it came to light that you could do the same thing using Note Echo and also with some Panda stuff. Or does this do something more advanced?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

19 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
19 May 2020
I was going to buy Midi Comp a while ago until it came to light that you could do the same thing using Note Echo and also with some Panda stuff. Or does this do something more advanced?
I think the velocity control of Note Echo kind of stinks. I'm not sure how this device compares, how it works, how good/bad it is, because I haven't tried it yet. But I don't really like the control I get from Note Echo.

Which Lectric Panda devices can do this?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 May 2020

challism wrote:
19 May 2020
MrFigg wrote:
19 May 2020
I think the velocity control of Note Echo kind of stinks. I'm not sure how this device compares, how it works, how good/bad it is, because I haven't tried it yet. But I don't really like the control I get from Note Echo.

Which Lectric Panda devices can do this?
Apparently UTL Modifier can be used for doing velocity if I understood correctly..
Can't RND do velocity as well? In that case you could even randomise that parameter.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Arjanders

19 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
19 May 2020

Can't RND do velocity as well? In that case you could even randomise that parameter.
Yes RND does that indeed

VIVIsect

19 May 2020

I agree that the velocity control of Note Echo does indeed stink. This and MIDI Compressor allows you to adjust both minimum and maximum velocities independently. You can also do that with Lectric Panda's UTL, but this goes a bit further in that you can draw in custom velocity curves, if that's something you need. With MIDI Compressor you can shift-click the curve to add points that you can drag around to make custom curves.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 May 2020

I tried Midi Compressor a good while ago but can't remember so much about it. I'm trialing Velocity Curve just now and liking it. I know that Midi Compressor can allows for patch saving but other than that which one would you say comes out on top? Or are they pretty much the same? Thanks
Both currently €9.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

VIVIsect

30 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
29 May 2020
I tried Midi Compressor a good while ago but can't remember so much about it. I'm trialing Velocity Curve just now and liking it. I know that Midi Compressor can allows for patch saving but other than that which one would you say comes out on top? Or are they pretty much the same? Thanks
Both currently €9.
They both do the same thing. I think the only differences are with how you're able to shape the velocity curve. I went ahead and bought Velocity Curve during the sale, so now I own both. I'll be using Velocity Curve from here on out just because... it's prettier heh. Really, I just hate how much space MIDI Compressor needlessly takes up.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 May 2020

VIVIsect wrote:
30 May 2020
MrFigg wrote:
29 May 2020
Both currently €9.
They both do the same thing. I think the only differences are with how you're able to shape the velocity curve. I went ahead and bought Velocity Curve during the sale, so now I own both. I'll be using Velocity Curve from here on out just because... it's prettier heh. Really, I just hate how much space MIDI Compressor needlessly takes up.
Thanks. Yeah...space is a consideration. One thing I’m wondering though after having played with both. I understand what they do but surely just adjusting the velocity in the sequencer does the same thing. Is the idea maybe so you can for example invert velocity or automate changes for variation? I’ve been using RND to get more expression up until now.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jam-s

30 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
30 May 2020
Thanks. Yeah...space is a consideration. One thing I’m wondering though after having played with both. I understand what they do but surely just adjusting the velocity in the sequencer does the same thing. Is the idea maybe so you can for example invert velocity or automate changes for variation? I’ve been using RND to get more expression up until now.
One use case is to modify the velocity during live play. For example to set a minimum velocity for each note or to put very soft notes down to 0 velocity so they don't sound (when you accidentally triggered another key very lightly). Or if your midi keyboard does not give you any velocity curve that you like.

lowtom

30 May 2020

Great device! Purchased.
I instantly added it to my shaker generator combi.
As my main drum sequencer is still ReDrum (because of Remote accessible step sequencer), Velocity Curve is great addition to limited (3 step) velocity capabilities.
:reason: :refill: :re:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 May 2020

jam-s wrote:
30 May 2020
MrFigg wrote:
30 May 2020
One use case is to modify the velocity during live play. For example to set a minimum velocity for each note or to put very soft notes down to 0 velocity so they don't sound (when you accidentally triggered another key very lightly). Or if your midi keyboard does not give you any velocity curve that you like.
One of the reasons I was on my way to buy midi comp back the was that my second keyboard is not as velocity sensitive as my primary. That’s fixable with a load of other REs. I’m trying to decide before the cut-off tomorrow whether Velocity Curve will give me anything more than what I can already do and use. Still on the RND boat. Hmm. Maybe just content myself with MiDI-CV, Shape, Autolatch and Phonetic in the meantime. These last recent purchase are strangely enough four of the REs I’ve been most happy to get. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information