Nostromo or Torsion?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eiresurfer

15 May 2020

Hi,

I have some Reason Studios Rewards to use up, and I want to buy either Torsion or Nostromo (by Lectric Panda). Can't decide which - and I'm demoing both at the moment. I think Grain probably does most of what Torsion can do, whereas Nostromo can produce some great sounds. But I also think Torsion might be capable of more original sounds.

Anyway, appreciate any opinions. Thanks!
Last edited by eiresurfer on 15 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Bumbum

15 May 2020

really difficult to compare them.
i like nostromo more because it is more flexible,you can just open it and start noodling, no need to hunt samples first.

and results in grain are more predictable than in torsion

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 May 2020

Nostromo is great.
Torsion is great.
Get Fritz :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

eiresurfer

15 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
15 May 2020
Nostromo is great.
Torsion is great.
Fritz isn't available in the Rewards Store however!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 May 2020

eiresurfer wrote:
15 May 2020
MrFigg wrote:
15 May 2020
Nostromo is great.
Torsion is great.
Fritz isn't available in the Rewards Store however!
I know. But you'll reap the rewards if you buy it :) It's one of my favourite ever REs. Especially on guitar.
I've got both Nostromo and Torsion. Nostromo is a really cool synth...the random button is a great thing. Have you tried Rostnomo? It's free.
Torsion is reminiscent of VSTs by Glitchmachines but it is a fantastic RE. Textures.
What are you wanting to do with them is really the question?
Last edited by MrFigg on 15 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

15 May 2020

Of the two, definitely Nostromo for me. Harder to get nice noises out of Torsion but that may be what you want.

The real solution is to trial them both. Just a few minutes with each will make your decision for you.

Loque

15 May 2020

Do you like apples or oranges?
Reason12, Win10

robotgard

15 May 2020

Last edited by robotgard on 09 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

challism

15 May 2020

Yeah, definitely apples and oranges there. They are both so different.

I have both and love both, but if I had to choose just one of them, I would easily pick Nostromo. I would also be inclined to say most users would agree to go with Nostromo. It's one of the best synths in the shop, IMO. It's so deep and capable of such a wide range of sounds. Download the Panda generates Nostromo refills and go thru them while you are trialing it. There are 6 refills, each 44mb in size. Check them out. http://www.lectricpanda.com/ The possibilities are virtually endless with this synth. The random button is nuts. I love to just click on it until I hear something I like, then tweak it or use the random masks to keep things I like and keep hitting random.

Procedural Patch Generation
3800 Spectrums
Custom Display Table Sweep Feedback
Waveform Display
1000 LFO Waveforms
Analog Drift
External Audio Input
32 Row Modulation Matrix CV 8 In x 8 Out
3 Oscillators, 8 Voice Unison
4 Stereo Filters - with many filter types and variations
6 LFOs
6 Envelopes
Reverb, Delay, Compression

This thing is a beast!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

EdGrip

15 May 2020

Horus, the falcon-headed Egyptian god, is rarely included in the built-in effects of VSTi synths. I agree he should be. Maybe in a future update?

DaveyG

15 May 2020

robotgard wrote:
15 May 2020
I took both. Torsion is more for experimentation.
Nostromo is a classic synthesizer. I would like more effects in Nostromo (like in Europe) - Distortion, Saturation, Horus ...
You can add your own effects. Stick it in a Combinator and add as much as you like
< carefully ignores Ed's reply >

MannequinRaces

15 May 2020

Get Rostnomo for free if all you’re going to do is randomize patches and get Torsion instead. If you don’t like working with samples get Nostromo. :)

MannequinRaces

15 May 2020

robotgard wrote:
15 May 2020
Nostromo is a classic synthesizer. I would like more effects in Nostromo (like in Europe) - Distortion, Saturation, Horus ...
Nostromo is a classic synth? What? When I think classic synths Nostromo does not cross my mind all all. If anything it’s a modern synth and then some!

eiresurfer

15 May 2020

OK, I think I'll go with Nostromo. Torsion is obviously good, but I think the versatility of Nostromo suits better. Might take a look at buying Fritz as well...

Bumbum

16 May 2020

MannequinRaces wrote:
15 May 2020
robotgard wrote:
15 May 2020
Nostromo is a classic synth? What? When I think classic synths Nostromo does not cross my mind all all. If anything it’s a modern synth and then some!
hah this is very good point! :D

• Information