ReSpire pretty heavy on CPU right?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 May 2020

Dug ReSpire out of the bottom of the box a little while ago and tried some patches at random. It seemed pretty heavy on CPU even when I increased the buffer size. Is that the general consensus? I think I read somewhere a while ago that the VST is a bit kinder.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

adfielding

08 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
08 May 2020
Dug ReSpire out of the bottom of the box a little while ago and tried some patches at random. It seemed pretty heavy on CPU even when I increased the buffer size. Is that the general consensus? I think I read somewhere a while ago that the VST is a bit kinder.
My main issue with ReSpire is that programming it is a chore - in lieu of drop-down menus, you have to drag and select the parameters you want to set... which isn't particularly intuitive, it must be said. I can't comment on the VST version as I haven't used it, but it's frustrating because it sounds really good! I'd love to see an update, but it's been years since they touched it and I'm not holding my breath. It's got potential but I think it just needs a final "push".

WongoTheSane

08 May 2020

They updated the VST last week with drag and drop to the mod matrix and an improved preset management, and they have previously announced they were working on a 2.0 version which would be ported to a Rack Extension as well, so there is still hope... The announcement was over a year ago though.
MrFigg, to answer your question, yes, ReSpire is one of the heaviest REs around in my experience. I seldom use more than one per song.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 May 2020

WongoTheSane wrote:
08 May 2020
They updated the VST last week with drag and drop to the mod matrix and an improved preset management, and they have previously announced they were working on a 2.0 version which would be ported to a Rack Extension as well, so there is still hope... The announcement was over a year ago though.
MrFigg, to answer your question, yes, ReSpire is one of the heaviest REs around in my experience. I seldom use more than one per song.
Thanks. Yeah...the first pad I tried sounded great and then I noticed I was up at 4 or 5 blips. Think it’ll be a bounce to audio or back in the box with this one. Shame really.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

eXode

09 May 2020

adfielding wrote:
08 May 2020
MrFigg wrote:
08 May 2020
My main issue with ReSpire is that programming it is a chore - in lieu of drop-down menus, you have to drag and select the parameters you want to set... which isn't particularly intuitive, it must be said. I can't comment on the VST version as I haven't used it, but it's frustrating because it sounds really good! I'd love to see an update, but it's been years since they touched it and I'm not holding my breath. It's got potential but I think it just needs a final "push".
Try the VST, it has a better UI/UX for sure.

gullum

09 May 2020

Yes it is heavy and is the only synth I have that has made my computer pop up the computer to slow message in resent years

Loque

09 May 2020

gullum wrote:
09 May 2020
Yes it is heavy and is the only synth I have that has made my computer pop up the computer to slow message in resent years
Polysix with everything on.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 May 2020

Loque wrote:
09 May 2020
gullum wrote:
09 May 2020
Polysix with everything on.
WT4 played at C5 with unison.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

adfielding

09 May 2020

eXode wrote:
09 May 2020
adfielding wrote:
08 May 2020

Try the VST, it has a better UI/UX for sure.
Noted! I've been curious about it for a while, definitely need to give it a go :)

Jac459

06 Jun 2022

Discovered a bug on pc yesterday. I was playing with a pluck sound while moving a control and boom, I went to 20% to 100% cpu with a lot of artifacts on the sound.
I automated it in a fake song and tried the same on my macbook m1.
No issue.
In general though, my pc is slightly more powerful than my m1 when doing a benchmark...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

jonnyretina

28 Jun 2022

Jac459 wrote:
06 Jun 2022
Discovered a bug on pc yesterday. I was playing with a pluck sound while moving a control and boom, I went to 20% to 100% cpu with a lot of artifacts on the sound.
No issue.
In general though, my pc is slightly more powerful than my m1 when doing a benchmark...
If you contact Reveal Sound and send them a screenshot of the ReSpire entry within your Orders page from your RS account, they'll send you a discount code which deducts whatever you paid for the RE off the price of the VST.

It's worth updating to the VST version instead; it is more up to date, has a superior UI and is more CPU efficient.

Jac459

28 Jun 2022

jonnyretina wrote:
28 Jun 2022
Jac459 wrote:
06 Jun 2022
No issue.
If you contact Reveal Sound and send them a screenshot of the ReSpire entry within your Orders page from your RS account, they'll send you a discount code which deducts whatever you paid for the RE off the price of the VST.

It's worth updating to the VST version instead; it is more up to date, has a superior UI and is more CPU efficient.
Thanks mate! Will do for sure.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

chimp_spanner

29 Jun 2022

Here’s an interesting one…I have ReSpire…but I can’t find it in my order page. So I don’t think I can do the cross grade deal. I’m wondering if maybe I was on the beta or something before they abandoned it and it just…never expired?

Spryx

03 Jul 2022

It sounds great but IMHO, the UI for both the VST and RE is bad. Want an example? Try finding the Amp ENV at a glance :)
latest:

• Information