Screw it...I’ll start it. May Madness 2020

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
DaveyG
Posts: 237
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 08 May 2020

In the words of Iggy Pop, "We're all gonna die, so let's get high"
In the words of DaveyG, "We're all gonna die, so buy what toys you want"
In the words of sensible DaveyG, "We're all gonna die, so buy what toys you want as long as you can afford them"

djs
Posts: 96
Joined: 29 Jan 2018

Post 08 May 2020

Bought 2 x Kuassa Amps!

fretshot7
Posts: 432
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 08 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
08 May 2020
MrFigg wrote:
08 May 2020


I know. But that’s the not the point that’s being made. The point is that a lot of people already have already bought most of the REs in that bundle that they would use. That is to say it’s not really worth buying just to get the other ones because there was a reason they didn’t buy them in the first place.
Well that goes for anything in life when considering a deal. For the devices, we're talking about $50 for $1300 worth. There really only needs to be one or two devices in the RS line that you want that you don't have to make it a deal. You look at the list, you figure what you want and decide from there.

If someone isn't interested in Reason 11, and not factoring in the $129 towards the upgrade, that's on them—the upgrade is also what Suite is about.

But anyways, I think it's safe to say at this point at least, that the complaints about discounts on Suite for those who own devices can finally rest. A deal on Suite is not likely going to get better. A 'complete my bundle' option would not make the price any lower. You either own ALL of the devices, or the price you would've seen at the lowest is this current sale...
Factoring $129 towards an upgrade to use Reason in another DAW i don't own or use..Suite and Standard upgrade continues to be very poor value in my opinion. For me its safe to say this hasn't changed. Something is only worth what people will pay, If there is enough people paying what they want then all power to them. The prices may well not come down further, but i'm not forgetting what I have already invested in R10 and a ton of other stuff from the shop, $1000s++

R10 users should have got the R11 upgrade for free in my opinion as it was and is pretty much aimed at users of other Daws and obv was decent for users on earlier versions of Reason.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6903
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 08 May 2020

fretshot7 wrote:
08 May 2020
joeyluck wrote:
08 May 2020


Well that goes for anything in life when considering a deal. For the devices, we're talking about $50 for $1300 worth. There really only needs to be one or two devices in the RS line that you want that you don't have to make it a deal. You look at the list, you figure what you want and decide from there.

If someone isn't interested in Reason 11, and not factoring in the $129 towards the upgrade, that's on them—the upgrade is also what Suite is about.

But anyways, I think it's safe to say at this point at least, that the complaints about discounts on Suite for those who own devices can finally rest. A deal on Suite is not likely going to get better. A 'complete my bundle' option would not make the price any lower. You either own ALL of the devices, or the price you would've seen at the lowest is this current sale...
Factoring $129 towards an upgrade to use Reason in another DAW i don't own or use..Suite and Standard upgrade continues to be very poor value in my opinion. For me its safe to say this hasn't changed. Something is only worth what people will pay, If there is enough people paying what they want then all power to them. The prices may well not come down further, but i'm not forgetting what I have already invested in R10 and a ton of other stuff from the shop, $1000s++

R10 users should have got the R11 upgrade for free in my opinion as it was and is pretty much aimed at users of other Daws and obv was decent for users on earlier versions of Reason.
Well it's not just the RRP, there is:
- curved automation
- audio clip crossfades
- individual track height zoom
- mute individual MIDI notes
- draw multiple notes
- show played notes in the piano roll
- absolute snap
- mp3 export
- shortcut for moving notes up/down an octave
- new MIDI Out Device (improved upon the EMI)
- Beat Map
- Quartet
- Sweeper
- Channel Dynamics RE
- Channel EQ RE
- Master Bus Compressor RE
These are things found in the standalone version of the standard upgrade.

It still comes down to whether you want the upgrade and if there are enough REs in Suite that you want. It's a great value. Just because you personally don't like something doesn't make it not a good value.

If you don't want the upgrade, but want some of the Suite REs, you can look at individual products...and if those don't interest you, then you are good to go.

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2533
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 08 May 2020

Doing a lot of audio interview editing at this time and found the new cross fade option (after understanding it, thanks Joey!) quite a time saver!

D.

fretshot7
Posts: 432
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 08 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
08 May 2020
fretshot7 wrote:
08 May 2020


Factoring $129 towards an upgrade to use Reason in another DAW i don't own or use..Suite and Standard upgrade continues to be very poor value in my opinion. For me its safe to say this hasn't changed. Something is only worth what people will pay, If there is enough people paying what they want then all power to them. The prices may well not come down further, but i'm not forgetting what I have already invested in R10 and a ton of other stuff from the shop, $1000s++

R10 users should have got the R11 upgrade for free in my opinion as it was and is pretty much aimed at users of other Daws and obv was decent for users on earlier versions of Reason.
Well it's not just the RRP, there is:
- curved automation
- audio clip crossfades
- individual track height zoom
- mute individual MIDI notes
- draw multiple notes
- show played notes in the piano roll
- absolute snap
- mp3 export
- shortcut for moving notes up/down an octave
- new MIDI Out Device (improved upon the EMI)
- Beat Map
- Quartet
- Sweeper
- Channel Dynamics RE
- Channel EQ RE
- Master Bus Compressor RE
These are things found in the standalone version of the standard upgrade.

It still comes down to whether you want the upgrade and if there are enough REs in Suite that you want. It's a great value. Just because you personally don't like something doesn't make it not a good value.

If you don't want the upgrade, but want some of the Suite REs, you can look at individual products...and if those don't interest you, then you are good to go.
et tu Brute - Just because you think it is value doesn't mean it is! There are plenty if us with the opinion that it is not value. There is very little in that list that users on this forum were looking for...

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6903
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 08 May 2020

fretshot7 wrote:
08 May 2020
et tu Brute - Just because you think it is value doesn't mean it is! There are plenty if us with the opinion that it is not value. There is very little in that list that users on this forum were looking for...
I think you are misunderstanding. I've just been stating that those who have been interested in Suite, and who have wanted an even better deal on it—it is here. If you aren't interested in Suite and haven't been interested in Suite, then whether or not it is on sale, probably doesn't interest or concern you, and that's understandable.

User avatar
Reasonable man
Posts: 531
Joined: 14 Jul 2016

Post 08 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
08 May 2020
fretshot7 wrote:
08 May 2020


Factoring $129 towards an upgrade to use Reason in another DAW i don't own or use..Suite and Standard upgrade continues to be very poor value in my opinion. For me its safe to say this hasn't changed. Something is only worth what people will pay, If there is enough people paying what they want then all power to them. The prices may well not come down further, but i'm not forgetting what I have already invested in R10 and a ton of other stuff from the shop, $1000s++

R10 users should have got the R11 upgrade for free in my opinion as it was and is pretty much aimed at users of other Daws and obv was decent for users on earlier versions of Reason.
- curved automation
- audio clip crossfades
- individual track height zoom
- mute individual MIDI notes
- draw multiple notes
- show played notes in the piano roll
- absolute snap
- mp3 export
- shortcut for moving notes up/down an octave
- new MIDI Out Device (improved upon the EMI)
- Beat Map
- Quartet
- Sweeper
- Channel Dynamics RE
- Channel EQ RE
- Master Bus Compressor RE
These are things found in the standalone version of the standard upgrade.
I think what he's saying is that this list isn't worth £129 for someone who uses reason daw and i think that pretty much everyone is in agreement about that.

fretshot7
Posts: 432
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 08 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
08 May 2020
fretshot7 wrote:
08 May 2020
et tu Brute - Just because you think it is value doesn't mean it is! There are plenty if us with the opinion that it is not value. There is very little in that list that users on this forum were looking for...
I think you are misunderstanding. I've just been stating that those who have been interested in Suite, and who have wanted an even better deal on it—it is here. If you aren't interested in Suite and haven't been interested in Suite, then whether or not it is on sale, probably doesn't interest or concern you, and that's understandable.
But I am interested in Suite for a fair price. Reason Studio doesn't seem to understand that its not fair to users who already own some of the REs. Taking R11 out the equation, the price should be divided by the number of REs in the deal and multiplied by the number you don't own, even when on a sale, I simply don't want to pay again for REs i already own.
The only other way I can think that would work for me is to have it at a price that is too low to refuse and that sale price is a long way off. Proof will be in the pudding with there sales stats. But I really hope they do well because i love Reason 👍🏼

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6903
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 09 May 2020

fretshot7 wrote:
08 May 2020
joeyluck wrote:
08 May 2020


I think you are misunderstanding. I've just been stating that those who have been interested in Suite, and who have wanted an even better deal on it—it is here. If you aren't interested in Suite and haven't been interested in Suite, then whether or not it is on sale, probably doesn't interest or concern you, and that's understandable.
But I am interested in Suite for a fair price. Reason Studio doesn't seem to understand that its not fair to users who already own some of the REs. Taking R11 out the equation, the price should be divided by the number of REs in the deal and multiplied by the number you don't own, even when on a sale, I simply don't want to pay again for REs i already own.
The only other way I can think that would work for me is to have it at a price that is too low to refuse and that sale price is a long way off. Proof will be in the pudding with there sales stats. But I really hope they do well because i love Reason 👍🏼
I just don't see how the price could be much lower or more fair. Tell me your situation and I'll outline the deal for you. How many REs do you not have? How many of those do you want?

The thought about "paying again" for something is just in your head. There is no itemization or breakdown for the items included in Suite. It is a single low price. It's like saying I'm paying for Subtractor every time I upgrade, because "there it is in the list of things included..."

As an example, if someone says they have purchased $800 in REs, and that $50 towards the remaining $500 in REs is them paying twice for something is bonkers. If you are paying equal to or less than the value of the new products you receive, I would not consider that as paying twice for something.

You can get the Suite upgrade from JRRShop for $179. So factor if $50 gets you a deal on the REs you want. But you can arrange those numbers however you like. Upgrades have always been $129, but who says we have to imagine $129 of that going towards the new features with the upgrade price of Suite?

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 4216
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 09 May 2020

djs wrote:
08 May 2020
Bought 2 x Kuassa Amps!
Which ones? Hell, what does it matter...they’re all great. More power to Kuassa!!
丰2ॐ

User avatar
gullum
Posts: 750
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 09 May 2020

I saw a deal on a Guitar and amp that I like but decide not to buy because I already have a cable and a strap so the deal is not that good after all :D
joeyluck wrote:
08 May 2020
It's like saying I'm paying for Subtractor every time I upgrade, because "there it is in the list of things included..."
now I'm mad been paying for it like so many times now :D
MrFigg wrote:
09 May 2020
djs wrote:
08 May 2020
Bought 2 x Kuassa Amps!
Which ones? Hell, what does it matter...they’re all great. More power to Kuassa!!
Now he will want all of them

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 4216
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 09 May 2020

gullum wrote:
09 May 2020
MrFigg wrote:
09 May 2020


Which ones? Hell, what does it matter...they’re all great. More power to Kuassa!!
Now he will want all of them
And quite rightly so :).
丰2ॐ

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1907
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the New York

Post 09 May 2020

Having a wonderful time with all five amps.
Fun surprises: Clean tone with Creme, distorto madness with Vermillion. Who'da thunk?
Vlad the thread stopper

fretshot7
Posts: 432
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 09 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
09 May 2020
fretshot7 wrote:
08 May 2020


But I am interested in Suite for a fair price. Reason Studio doesn't seem to understand that its not fair to users who already own some of the REs. Taking R11 out the equation, the price should be divided by the number of REs in the deal and multiplied by the number you don't own, even when on a sale, I simply don't want to pay again for REs i already own.
The only other way I can think that would work for me is to have it at a price that is too low to refuse and that sale price is a long way off. Proof will be in the pudding with there sales stats. But I really hope they do well because i love Reason 👍🏼
I just don't see how the price could be much lower or more fair. Tell me your situation and I'll outline the deal for you. How many REs do you not have? How many of those do you want?

The thought about "paying again" for something is just in your head. There is no itemization or breakdown for the items included in Suite. It is a single low price. It's like saying I'm paying for Subtractor every time I upgrade, because "there it is in the list of things included..."

As an example, if someone says they have purchased $800 in REs, and that $50 towards the remaining $500 in REs is them paying twice for something is bonkers. If you are paying equal to or less than the value of the new products you receive, I would not consider that as paying twice for something.

You can get the Suite upgrade from JRRShop for $179. So factor if $50 gets you a deal on the REs you want. But you can arrange those numbers however you like. Upgrades have always been $129, but who says we have to imagine $129 of that going towards the new features with the upgrade price of Suite?
Let say for example I own 8 of the REs in the suite.
Lets say my mate owns none.
He pays $179 for what is it 16 REs?
I pay $179 for 8 REs...
So the RE are twice as cheap for him no?
Or I am paying twice for RE I already own? Actually its worse because i paid even more for them seperate but lets keep this simple.

Doesn't matter, as far as I am concerned I am paying more than him, or I am being penalised because I already own some of the REs in the suite.

Sorry it's really simple, I don't understand why you don't see the disparity 🤷🏽‍♂️

User avatar
Ottostrom
Posts: 322
Joined: 13 May 2016

Post 09 May 2020

eusti wrote:
08 May 2020
Doing a lot of audio interview editing at this time and found the new cross fade option (after understanding it, thanks Joey!) quite a time saver!

D.
Oh man I've been doing a ton of vocal editing since the update and I don't think I could ever go back to only having cross fade in comp mode.
Especially when you're doing manual gain adjustments by just cutting up the audio and dragging the parts down, or adjusting the rhythm of a phrase.

My only request would be an option to automatically have the cross fade option checked for every new audio part.
Aim for progress, not perfection.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6903
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 09 May 2020

fretshot7 wrote:
09 May 2020
joeyluck wrote:
09 May 2020


I just don't see how the price could be much lower or more fair. Tell me your situation and I'll outline the deal for you. How many REs do you not have? How many of those do you want?

The thought about "paying again" for something is just in your head. There is no itemization or breakdown for the items included in Suite. It is a single low price. It's like saying I'm paying for Subtractor every time I upgrade, because "there it is in the list of things included..."

As an example, if someone says they have purchased $800 in REs, and that $50 towards the remaining $500 in REs is them paying twice for something is bonkers. If you are paying equal to or less than the value of the new products you receive, I would not consider that as paying twice for something.

You can get the Suite upgrade from JRRShop for $179. So factor if $50 gets you a deal on the REs you want. But you can arrange those numbers however you like. Upgrades have always been $129, but who says we have to imagine $129 of that going towards the new features with the upgrade price of Suite?
Let say for example I own 8 of the REs in the suite.
Lets say my mate owns none.
He pays $179 for what is it 16 REs?
I pay $179 for 8 REs...
So the RE are twice as cheap for him no?
Or I am paying twice for RE I already own? Actually its worse because i paid even more for them seperate but lets keep this simple.

Doesn't matter, as far as I am concerned I am paying more than him, or I am being penalised because I already own some of the REs in the suite.

Sorry it's really simple, I don't understand why you don't see the disparity 🤷🏽‍♂️
So this is more about a comparison? No I have never been concerned with the deals that other people get. Just the same as I have never been concerned that someone can upgrade from a much older version to the current version for the same price as someone having paid for an upgrade every version.

fretshot7
Posts: 432
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 09 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
09 May 2020
fretshot7 wrote:
09 May 2020


Let say for example I own 8 of the REs in the suite.
Lets say my mate owns none.
He pays $179 for what is it 16 REs?
I pay $179 for 8 REs...
So the RE are twice as cheap for him no?
Or I am paying twice for RE I already own? Actually its worse because i paid even more for them seperate but lets keep this simple.

Doesn't matter, as far as I am concerned I am paying more than him, or I am being penalised because I already own some of the REs in the suite.

Sorry it's really simple, I don't understand why you don't see the disparity 🤷🏽‍♂️
So this is more about a comparison? No I have never been concerned with the deals that other people get. Just the same as I have never been concerned that someone can upgrade from a much older version to the current version for the same price as someone having paid for an upgrade every version.
I am glad you now see the disparity 👍🏼

Your upgrade scenario is a completely different thing. I have no problem with that whatsoever.

With this Suite upgrade I have been using half of the REs in it for a long time already. Thus I feel i'd be paying for them again ( and this is without comparison to anyone )

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 1008
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 10 May 2020

fretshot7 wrote:
09 May 2020
With this Suite upgrade I have been using half of the REs in it for a long time already. Thus I feel i'd be paying for them again ( and this is without comparison to anyone )
You could also see it like this: "I was able to use the REs for a long time just because I paid for them. So I got my value out of them before they got lumped into suite (due to market saturation)."

p.s.: I'm all for a "complete your bundle" option in the shop that will offer a reduced price if you already "bought"* some of the included REs.

*) Technically as REs are only useable with DRM in place one does not really own any RE.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace.

fretshot7
Posts: 432
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 11 May 2020

jam-s wrote:
10 May 2020
fretshot7 wrote:
09 May 2020
With this Suite upgrade I have been using half of the REs in it for a long time already. Thus I feel i'd be paying for them again ( and this is without comparison to anyone )
You could also see it like this: "I was able to use the REs for a long time just because I paid for them. So I got my value out of them before they got lumped into suite (due to market saturation)."

p.s.: I'm all for a "complete your bundle" option in the shop that will offer a reduced price if you already "bought"* some of the included REs.

*) Technically as REs are only useable with DRM in place one does not really own any RE.
I've never bought into the mantra that I've used them and had value from them so I should be happy to buy them again, haha, really? Does anyone buy that? ( pun intended) :)

Like you said, complete your bundle seems fair to me.

Tiny Montgomery
Posts: 27
Joined: 22 Apr 2020

Post 11 May 2020

I understand the frustration long time Reason users must have with the suite deal and the RRP etc.

Have to say though that it has tempted former users like me back (and I'm sure new users too). Upgraded to suite last week after buying standard in the autumn. Started to get tempted at Reason 10, almost entirely down to Chimp Spanner's synthwave and vapourwave tutorials which are better marketing materials than anything on reason studio's site, although they make good videos too, just not frequent enough (pre covid that is).

To summarise why I have bought back in:
- a change from Ableton (which I love). If I'm not feeling motivated or in a bit of a rut I can open reason.
- some perspective on the good and the bad on my current DAW. E.g realised how good midi and audio editing is in Ableton (for my needs). But pleasantly surprised of how good reason sounds and how quickly ideas can be generated with players
- The Players. Been chaining midi effects in Ableton for some time to generate semi random passages to use or extract ideas from. Using Reason Players in Ableton is so much fun. Main reason for upgrading to suite was for the additional players.
- the main thing I've learned as a hobbyist is that it doesn't matter as long as you enjoy yourself but if you want to finish a few tracks you are personally proud of it does require some real work. When I had a dodgy version of Reason 3 or whatever back in the day i didn't care about patching that much but now I'm watching Poohbears videos in the middle of the night.

Yesterday I thought well I best check out some more of this reason suite content. Contrary soul that I am I opened Ableton and loaded the RRP with the reason drum sequencer and the umpf retro drums which everybody on this board hates (joke). Got a kind of early 80s funk beat going from adapting a drum sequencer patch, bit of Scream, RV reverb and limiting and I bounced out each channel into their own audio tracks. Recorded those into arrangement view, did some editing to get a funkier kick then thought I want live bass, so broke out the NI Rickenbacker. Had just been watching Chimp Spanner's quad note generator vid that morning so tried that on the bassthis time making my own apparently simple patch and OMFG the results are just incredible. Even though I knew I'd have to bounce that midi eventually I was able to jam out keyboard parts and even some horn stabs while quad note generator did its thing in an F blues scale. Later I took some of the bass midi parts I liked and allowed them to jam together using follow actions in Ableton's session view. Even later on I realised I had Stutter Edit from a sale a few months back and had never used it. Well chucking that on the master channel and jamming with it finished the evening off very nicely!

TL;DR

Even a lazy middle aged stoner like me can see the power & fun of Reason, particularly when combined with other DAWs & tools

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1907
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the New York

Post 11 May 2020

Guess that was Tiny Montgomery sayin' hello...
Vlad the thread stopper

Tiny Montgomery
Posts: 27
Joined: 22 Apr 2020

Post 11 May 2020

My man!

User avatar
Nerveclinic
Posts: 247
Joined: 30 Jan 2015
Location: Dubai

Post 11 May 2020

Didn't the May Madness sale start but this time last year?

DaveyG
Posts: 237
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 12 May 2020

Based on a few comments from devs on here and elsewhere next week would seem to be the favourite. That would give two full weeks in May, which is about right.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests